Arcadia lighting - advice?

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but I feel so overwhelmed by information, I'm hoping for a straight answer!

I'm getting ready to upgrade to a medium Dragon Strand cage, here: https://dragonstrand.com/product/medium-atrium-screen-drip-easy-drainage-tray-dragon-ledges/

I think I'd like to get an Arcadia light kit (unless there is a better/more recommended option, but I thought I recalled seeing this was very recommended.) I was looking at this kit: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/30...ture-with-arcadia-6-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs/

Should I get a 30" fixture, since the cage is 28.5" wide?
Would a 6% be sufficient for that size cage?
If I start with the 6% and then feel that it isn't enough (as I change the environment), can I swap the bulb out for a 12%, or do those fixtures only work for the % included?

I've spent three days driving myself crazy with this, I'm hoping there is a more straightforward answer than the tidal wave of information I've found so far! Thank you for your help!

I can answer these confidently

The bulbs in this fixture will be 22” wide so as long as you are okay with the 3/4” over hang of the fixture that width fixture should meet your needs.

If I start with the 6% and then feel that it isn't enough (as I change the environment), can I swap the bulb out for a 12%, or do those fixtures only work for the % included?

Yes any other 22” T5 HO bulb can be used in that fixture.

As far as the question of 6% or 12% you may want to list what species will be in the enclosure.

Last edited:
I can answer these confidently

The bulbs in this fixture will be 22” wide so as long as you are okay with the 3/4” over hang of the fixture that width fixture should meet your needs.

Yes any other 22” T5 HO bulb can be used in that fixture.

As far as the question of 6% or 12% you may want to list what species will be in the enclosure.
Oh, I am so sorry, I got way ahead of myself. I have a veiled chameleon (male, adult).

I’m not an expert so hopefully someone else will weigh in. But the dimensions for The Dragon Strand Medium Atrium Screen Enclosure are 28.5″ wide, 29.5″ high, and 18″ deep. At 29.5 high, from everything I’ve read 6% should be ideal. I believe you only move up to the 12% if you have a taller more densely planted enclosure. Also getting familiar with a solarmeter is usually suggested before moving up to the 12% bulb.

I believe the enclosure your looking at would be to small for your adult male veiled. Should have a minimum of 24" x 24" x 48" and a 24" two or four tube T5HO light fixture.

I believe the enclosure your looking at would be to small for your adult male veiled. Should have a minimum of 24" x 24" x 48" and a 24" two or four tube T5HO light fixture.
According to Dragon Strand...
The Medium Atrium cage was specifically designed to provide the horizontal room needed for the comfort of chameleons all the way up to a male Veiled and Panther Chameleons.
Personally if I could afford it I’d go with the medium tall, but that’s me.

According to Dragon Strand...
The Medium Atrium cage was specifically designed to provide the horizontal room needed for the comfort of chameleons all the way up to a male Veiled and Panther Chameleons.
Personally if I could afford it I’d go with the medium tall, but that’s me.

Unfortunately to afford that I would have to put off getting him a new cage for probably another month, or choose a different make for the cage. I'm trying to budget for the cage, new lighting, and new environmental setup (plants and such) so an additional $75 puts it outside of budget for the time being.

So would you recommend the Reptibreeze 24x24x48 over the DS medium atrium? Or is there another manufacturer of that size cage I should look at? And if I did a 48" cage, would 6% bulb still be good?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom