Approved enclosure?

Not really. I haven't tried touching the burn since I know I am not supposed to touch her much, but her behavior seems normal. She still moves around well and such. I spoke with someone at the store I bought her at, and I was assured that, if it didn't look blistery or oozing, then it would heal up. Does that sound right?

Well from the picture it doesn't look too bad, and it depends on were the burn is, if its on the foot where it can effect climbing that can be potentially bad... but if hes not acting as if its effecting him and he still has healthy movement I wouldn't worry to much about it, but keep a close eye on it just in case.

Cage

Im fairly nw to chams myself. I would go outside and get her some more sticks to climb around on and make different "levels" so she can get closer or farther from the lights depending on her needs, then u could hang the vine on the sticks so she can go up and down the levels. Get rid of all the substrate.

You really need a digital thermometer to monitor the temps and hygrometer to measure humidity, they are only cheap to buy.

Is your UVB light 10w or is it a 10% UVB, this is quite important so please post the make and model of this light. Also you dont need a night light, Chameleons prefer darkness to sleep so you may be stressing it if it cant get to sleep at night properly.

You should add more branches and vines so he can climb higher, but only after you have reduced the 100w bulb and measured the temps to make sure they are correct.

The 100w bulb seems to high, and make sure the fixture is rated for 100w. I would add more vines that go to the top of the cage [or use taller plants or raise them up]. Chams are vertical animals and are penthouse dwellers. Try smaller crickets and maybe some different worms [wax]. If that is a burn and its recent some topical ointment might be a good idea.

Your foliage, aside from needed to get rid of the substrate looks great! Only suggestion, like other's have said, is to get the plants up higher. You can prop them up on a tiny little rack or a plant holder that you can probably get at a nursery or home depot/lowes. For your vines, they need to be up much higher so it looks like you have little "highways". We use green twist ties we bought at lowes in the flower department. We just twist tie them to the cage (twisted part on the outside) and they stay up securely and safely. You basically want the TOP of the cage more covered than the bottom because chams like to be up high.

Thanks, Mr. Wilson, that's great advice. It seems like the general consensus of the chameleon community is that substrate of any kind is to be avoided, but isn't it necessary for maintaining humidity? I also have some moss in the enclosure for the same purpose.

Thanks, Mr. Wilson, that's great advice. It seems like the general consensus of the chameleon community is that substrate of any kind is to be avoided, but isn't it necessary for maintaining humidity? I also have some moss in the enclosure for the same purpose.

Nope live plants are best and a regular misting schedule of every 3-4 hours or so. If you live in a really dry climate and are having trouble maintaining humidity, you can put plastic sheeting on 3 sides of the cage. I had to do that one winter.

Back
Top Bottom