Appetite questions

ChiefRedman

Hey guys, so over the past few months my veiled has lost a interest in some feeders. He LOVES his crickets and supers, but he has lost almost all interest in horn,butter, and silk worms. My guess its because the crickets and supers move alot so it peaks his interest. Ive tried the whole cycle feeding thing where you dont feed them for a couple of days . But I will offer a feeder, but no luck.

Secondly , Im thinking about ordering dubai's to replace crickets, just because of the smell. Do they crawl around enough to peak interest or what should I expect

Merlin is at the age where he should now be fed every two to three days. I feed my guys on Tues. Thurs. and Sundays. Tuesdays is a light feeding and I give them more on Thursday and Sunday. Some chameleons want eat roaches. I would buy a small amount and try them and see if he likes them. They are very slow moving. Luie always loved his crickets but one of Merlins brothers don't want crickets and is a very picky eater. He only wants horns. He was the smallest runt in the clutch and I try to keep horns for him.

Merlin is at the age where he should now be fed every two to three days. I feed my guys on Tues. Thurs. and Sundays. Tuesdays is a light feeding and I give them more on Thursday and Sunday. Some chameleons want eat roaches. I would buy a small amount and try them and see if he likes them. They are very slow moving. Luie always loved his crickets but one of Merlins brothers don't want crickets and is a very picky eater. He only wants horns. He was the smallest runt in the clutch and I try to keep horns for him.

Thanks Jann, that's really helpful information. At what age/size do you drop the number of feedings?

I'm not crazy about roaches for the reasons you give. They stay still and try to hide during the day. I only hand feed them.

Banana roaches are very fast moving and erratic in their movements, plus the adults are a bright green. I've found green color excites the chameleons. Maybe it is just the novelty of a bright green bug because they rarely get any. I swear the chameleons can tell a wild-caught insect from a captive raised insect. For those that are not crazy about dubias because they are too similar to the cockroaches that infest houses might look at banana roaches. They don't look like cockroaches at all and are a really pretty insect. Their downside is that they can climb and fit through cracks the slower more docile dubia won't. I still only hand feed roaches. The banana roaches are from Cuba, so are not going to infest your house. I'm in South Texas, so still worry. Twice a yearI have a pest company spray my house along the baseboards for scorpions which will kill the roaches and any other escaped insect when they walk across that residue, even months later.

Thanks Jann, that's really helpful information. At what age/size do you drop the number of feedings?

I'm not crazy about roaches for the reasons you give. They stay still and try to hide during the day. I only hand feed them.

Banana roaches are very fast moving and erratic in their movements, plus the adults are a bright green. I've found green color excites the chameleons. Maybe it is just the novelty of a bright green bug because they rarely get any. I swear the chameleons can tell a wild-caught insect from a captive raised insect. For those that are not crazy about dubias because they are too similar to the cockroaches that infest houses might look at banana roaches. They don't look like cockroaches at all and are a really pretty insect. Their downside is that they can climb and fit through cracks the slower more docile dubia won't. I still only hand feed roaches. The banana roaches are from Cuba, so are not going to infest your house. I'm in South Texas, so still worry. Twice a yearI have a pest company spray my house along the baseboards for scorpions which will kill the roaches and any other escaped insect when they walk across that residue, even months later.

If they are a healthy and well filled out I go to every other day feeding around 8 to 10 months old. After they pass a year and if they are still well filled out I go to 3 days a week.

I would be terrified to have my house exterminated in any shape or form with my chameleon living there.there use to be a member on here that lived in apartments and they sprayed along the outside wall of his building and every chameleon on the wall died.

If they are a healthy and well filled out I go to every other day feeding around 8 to 10 months old. After they pass a year and if they are still well filled out I go to 3 days a week.

I would be terrified to have my house exterminated in any shape or form with my chameleon living there.there use to be a member on here that lived in apartments and they sprayed along the outside wall of his building and every chameleon on the wall died.

I was worried, too, but it has to be reasonably safe because human babies crawl around on the floor. Their isn't any over spray--it is a stream they spray on the baseboards and on the outside on thresholds and around windows. The insect just walks across where it was sprayed and doesn't eat it. I have parrots in the house in the winter, so have grilled them on the safety of it in the past. Some pest companies have been using stuff that wasn't safe or licensed because it is cheap. I trust my pest people follow the laws. No bug that escapes is ever fed--not even to my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom