anything chameleon collections, part 1

studiocham

Yup, this thread has biological and cultural relevance. I know I'm not the only one who has a chameleon-shaped object (CSO)collection. Guests bring them, friends give them to me at trade shows, and I find them in many tourist traps in the Smokies... of all places. CSOs happen. Some are thought-provoking, some stupid, some horrific- or all three.

Here are some of my faves. What do you have?

These charmers shoot a rubber "tongue" upon rapid compression of the torso. The largest one is actually a mid-size version of a dog toy. It's tail also has this feature. Biological relevance: OK, the tongue action, but few know that the rubber degrades over time and actually achieves extreme stickiness. Squeezing real chameleons? Not recommended.
DSC03370.jpg

While we're on sticky tongues, this bodice-ripper of a "game" involves flinging the sticky Thermagel tongues at confetti flies. But look at the cute game pieces! Relevance: Yes, they have sticky tongues and eat flies.
DSC03372.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

This sticky-tongued undescribed Trioceros species did not even come with a game. He is sticky purely for the sake of stickiness. His packaging commands: "Catch Loads Of Fun With Your Sticky Tongue!" Relevance: Yes, sticky tongues. We get it. The back of the package has two fairly accurate paragraphs about chameleons, so definitely an educational toy.
DSC03375.jpg

These two, a 3D puzzle and a plastic "tube" zoo critter, are not sicky but apparently successful hunters nonetheless. Note the bugs molded to their tongue ends. Relevance: Teaches us that they are insectivorous. Neat.
DSC03376.jpg

A plant pot hanger, unusual for a chameleon in that it is also using its gular to hang on. Relevance: I've seen chameleons hang on plant pots before! That's a lesson in captive behavior. But the gular grip scares me.
DSC03379.jpg

Glow-in-the-dark, with suction cup accessory. Relevance: Everyone has seen a healthy roosting cham "glowing" in the dark.
DSC03382.jpg

This guy is a Thermagel squishy with the plastic beads inside. He looks like a Muppet version of a chameleon. Look at that "smile". Relevance: If your male jax is full of palpable "eggs" and is gaping, let's get to the vet.
DSC03384.jpg

DSC03385.jpg

Horror category. Relevance: do not do anything this packaging tells you to do to a chameleon.
DSC03386.jpg

Just found this guy yesterday. Please regard the package's rendering of an inflated crocodilian. It insists: "Laugh At Its Crazy Shape!" Or we will come find you. Relevance: it fills with air and puffs up- real chams do that. See, we learned something.
DSC03388.jpg

More to follow.

part 2

This was the most difficult thing to stare at while drinking a fountain beverage at the SD Zoo, and I'm not referring to the retina-scalding colors. It is one of those touristy bottle toppers. He's clearly an unhappy cham. This isn't how he saw his life turning out. Relevance: It may be a good time to brush up on biogeography of these species.
DSC03390.jpg

Leapin' Lizards game. Relevance: Yes, chameleons can leap. But not for fun. Check out the world's worst case of SQ nematodes on the game piece.
DSC03391.jpg

DSC03392.jpg

A bendy chameleon. Every keeper who has ever had one of those gotta-get-out chameleons recognizes this behavior. I did not pose it, they come like this. This is also the only item in the collection exhibiting binocular eye position.
DSC03397.jpg

One of only two melleri items in my collection, shocking. This one doesn't give the species any flattery.
DSC03389.jpg

Kids! Grow your own budget $3.49 Parsonii! Just add water! Look at how happy little Johnny is, don't you envy him? Oh, by the way, your one-to-three-foot-long toy is a choking hazard. If you can choke on that, it's time to get YOU to the vet. Relevance: Just about any species of chameleon will grow, if you give it enough water.
DSC03400.jpg

DSC03401.jpg

These last ones have chameleon keeper cultural significance.
The chameleon credit/gift card. You'll be putting money into them, simplify your life and load this one.
DSC03393.jpg

Why not just put money directly into a chameleon? Can do!
DSC03399.jpg

This one hits a little too close to home. Are we all just apes poking and oooing at chameleons?
DSC03402.jpg

Ok. I'll play. Heh.

Fimo Calumma parsonii made by fellow member Brandy:

DSC_000220080512.jpg

Tin chameleon:

DSC_000420080512.jpg

Wooden mannequin chameleon:

DSC_000620080512.jpg

Wooden puzzle chameleon:

DSC_000920080512.jpg

Beaded wall chameleon:

DSC_001520080512.jpg

Tin chameleon with protruding tongue:

DSC_001920080512.jpg

Remote control robot chameleon - he walks, talks, mambos and zaps plastic flies.

DSC_002220080512.jpg

USB chameleon. He rolls his eyes and zaps his tongue:

DSC_002420080512.jpg

A little something I drew:

DSC_003920080512.jpg

Cheers,
t

Fun topic, Kristina!
I've got a few things in that category laying around, must remember to take pictures.

BTW Trace: Great drawing! Ah luv eet!

Haven't seen Chuck in a while- good to see he's still alive and kicking. Particularly good acting in the pic of the "Muy Loco" robot chameleon. I think that's exactly how I looked when I got mine and made the mistake of turning it on.

I LOOVE all the handmade stuff! The drawings you do are insanely detailed. I haven't seen the clay and tin pieces before. I am inspired to grab a can and get out the snips.

Looking forward to seeing more CSOs. Bring 'em out, thread lurkers!

Here are a couple more from my "vault" (the cham room closet).

Getting this one for Christmas left me... speechless. I challenge viewers to share a more hideous CSO (please, no airbrushed taxidermy).
DSC03403.jpg

From left to right- soft rubber parsonii pentagraphed down from the full size deathcast toy that everyone has seen, PVC parsonii, pardalis, calyptratus, and fischeri. The PVCs came from bins at a retro toy/book store and gallery in N Hollywood. I did not give them the species IDs, they are printed on the ventrum.
DSC03405.jpg

Ugly Resin "Mini Chameleons". More evidence that the Universe is determined to put CSOs in my path. Found these new at a scifi convention (work, not play) dealer booth and got the lot for 25 cents. As if I could pass them up anyways. pfff
DSC03410.jpg

These two are very dear to me because they are from a cartoony line by one of the sculptors I was apprenticed to, Kitty Cantrell. Her regular work is hyper-realistic wildlife and equine sculpture.
DSC03408.jpg

I saw this while killing time on the internet looking up old toys I had when I was a kid. I never owned this, I think it was Japanese only. It's a "zoid".

megaleonp1.jpg

I'm not sure if this is hideous enough for you but how 'bout a cricket pen that makes chirping sounds when you press down on it. Yeah, I'm cool. :cool:

HestonCricket.jpg

Cheers,
t

i've seen a few pictures/video online, of this little chameleon that sits ontop of your monitor, it swirles its eyes and sticks out its toung every few seconds or so. They are so cute. does any one have one or know where i can get one?

I have various chameleon soft toys and a Swarovski crystal chameleon. I just had to show you this collection though that I got from E-bay:D

Attachments

• model chameleons.jpg
    model chameleons.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 218
I have the panther chameleon that sits on your computer. "I got it on ebay"
It came all the way from Hong Kong and it's cute! Comes in 3 colors now.

Back
Top Bottom