Anyone worked with pond foam on large cages?

I've got a few tips and tricks about this. When you use the foam, do smaller areas, let them set then cover them for a deeper layer. The reason is that the foam will push through whether you have the clearside or screen, and bulge out the side of the cage. We assemble our cages, then map out where we want our pots to go - we cocofiber in the pots and slip the potted pots into them. Also, if you are planning on multiple cages we strategically place the foam on the left side of one, and the right side of the other to line up so it creates a natural visual barrier between the cages and you don't have to have an unsightly barrier. When you are using the pots, don't use anything smaller than an 8" pot because the smaller ones just will not be able to fill out nicely. I have a cage with 2 4" pot slots and they are useless. Here's a pic of one of my cages before the vines and plants went in. It's next to a standard 4'x4'x2' screen cage and the contrast in sizes is always amazing to me. This is the one with the 4" pot slots.
IMG_0959.JPG

I've got a few tips and tricks about this. When you use the foam, do smaller areas, let them set then cover them for a deeper layer. The reason is that the foam will push through whether you have the clearside or screen, and bulge out the side of the cage. We assemble our cages, then map out where we want our pots to go - we cocofiber in the pots and slip the potted pots into them. Also, if you are planning on multiple cages we strategically place the foam on the left side of one, and the right side of the other to line up so it creates a natural visual barrier between the cages and you don't have to have an unsightly barrier. When you are using the pots, don't use anything smaller than an 8" pot because the smaller ones just will not be able to fill out nicely. I have a cage with 2 4" pot slots and they are useless. Here's a pic of one of my cages before the vines and plants went in. It's next to a standard 4'x4'x2' screen cage and the contrast in sizes is always amazing to me. This is the one with the 4" pot slots.
View attachment 235746
Wow that’s stunning.

Thank you. This is our first cage, and we learned a lot! We have a 2nd cage done, and a third that still needs to be put together. I keep promising myself that I'll make a photoblog of how we do it, but not sure when that project will get started.

Back
Top Bottom