Anyone know status on kenyan jackson xanths?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Talked to @JacksJill a little while back about this. I'm in no rush for a new chameleon ATM, still moving and am not ready. I do have the itch though. I see myself having several different species at least in the years to come, but I am leaning towards the trioceros for my next. Have been between a quad/gracilior or xanth jacksons from the kenyan breeding project. I just want to know in advance so I can make adjustments, clear up space, etc so I'm ready down the road should something pop up.

Unless something has changed in the last month or so Kenya is still open to export of farmed/ranched chameleons. So T.j. xantholophus and T.j.jacksonii are still coming in. The Kenyan Xanth project continues to have captive born and probably some bred babies.
There was a clear difference in size from the Kenyan and Hawaiian specimens. I don't know if the trend has continued into the F1 and subsequent generations but I suspect that would be the case. I'm just on the outside looking in. @DeremensisBlue can tell you more about how it's going and projected availability.

My males range from 30-55 grams. My females are in the 25-30 gram range. I think the largest is 7 inches tip to tip.
I don't recall seeing any measurements on the Kenyan xanths. Maybe someone will let us know what they are getting for length and weight.

Coincidentally, I just saw some people on FB comparing the weights of their mature Jackson xanth males. They ranged from 100-130 grams. It was on the Jackson's Chameleon Community page so I would assume they were the Kenyan's.

If you are on the dreaded Face Book you can join the Jackson's Chameleon Community page and do an in search of posting and they will PM you back with price and availability. Use words like "have a cage to fill" or "want to give a home to" because as you may have heard selling animals on FB is a no no and has gotten people banned and pages closed.
They are all over the US so there may even be someone near you.
Bill Strand may be able to recommend someone.
I mostly lurk there in search of CB T.j.j. to add to my collection.

I need to make a Facebook still, I'll get on that. Would love to have a huge jacksons. Those horns are just beautiful. Love the yellows too

Look at you coming all the way over to the montane dark side. Search your feelings you know it is true.;)

No lie, I decided a little while back montane species are my favorite... I'd like a veiled and panther one day again too, but I think I want to focus on montanes. Also, species like pygmy and melleri that sometimes take to being kept in groups(with the space...) would be quite the adventure!

Look at you coming all the way over to the montane dark side. Search your feelings you know it is true.;)

Dark side, eh? :D

When researching Veilds, Panthers and Jacksons before getting one, I decided on Jacksons mostly for temperment. How many posts do we see (daily) of Veild and Panther keepers saying their chams want to kill them?! I'm new to cham keeping so I have limited experience but I gotta say, as advertised, my Jack is pretty mellow. He used to open his mouth when I needed to take him out of his enclosure and that was as close to a bite he ever came and doesn't even do that anymore. I've heard the montanes are more challenging to keep but personally, have nothing else to compare that to.

I agree that Jackson's are mellower than the others of the big three. The "dark side" is just a bit more challenging but I don't think it's that much harder just a few more $$$ for some extra things like a humidifier, all live plants and temperature control. You also have to control the urge to make the feeders look like powdered donuts.
Horns rule others drool!:cool:

You also have to control the urge to make the feeders look like powdered donuts.

Yes, I'm working on that. The thing is, he usually doesn't take right to the feeders when I put them in the shooting gallery feeder thing and often, no longer look like forsted donuts when he does get around to taking them. Trial & error....

I agree that Panthers are bolder where I feel Jackson's are more shy. I think that is why they can so easily her handled to death because they are less likely to flair and bite. They just sit there hoping you will go away. We know after a certain point veiled will take no Cr@p.
They are all great but if people are going to Hail the Veil and Pander to the Panther then I must call Trioceros Triumphant.

Good point about the handling to death. Didn't cross my mind. I definitely think veiled and panther express their discomfort more than montanes I've seen. My Parsons sounds like your jacksons. He's not shy, but not outgoing. Simply will chill there, but can tell he doesn't approve of you getting too close yet he doesn't get aggressive. One false move and he'll decide not to eat also. Very particular animal that's for sure

Talked to @JacksJill a little while back about this. I'm in no rush for a new chameleon ATM, still moving and am not ready. I do have the itch though. I see myself having several different species at least in the years to come, but I am leaning towards the trioceros for my next. Have been between a quad/gracilior or xanth jacksons from the kenyan breeding project. I just want to know in advance so I can make adjustments, clear up space, etc so I'm ready down the road should something pop up.
We have been having many births and F1s available. Those F1s are breeding now and we are working on the next generation. So there is a steady availability of babies from the Kenyan Xanth Project bloodlines. Imports from Kenya are sporadic so I would consider them in the same category as any other country. That means we get imports in at random times through the year until all of a sudden the country closes for some reason! We do most of our activity on the Jackson's Chameleon Community on Facebook, but I hate to have someone jump onto Facebook if it can be helped. When you are ready just message me and I will hook you up with whatever breeders are having babies.

We have been having many births and F1s available. Those F1s are breeding now and we are working on the next generation. So there is a steady availability of babies from the Kenyan Xanth Project bloodlines. Imports from Kenya are sporadic so I would consider them in the same category as any other country. That means we get imports in at random times through the year until all of a sudden the country closes for some reason! We do most of our activity on the Jackson's Chameleon Community on Facebook, but I hate to have someone jump onto Facebook if it can be helped. When you are ready just message me and I will hook you up with whatever breeders are having babies.

Awesome bill, thank you I appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom