Anyone know how to come about this?

Established Member
So my aunt has a child who has reptiles but they are not in the right settups in the slightest. My cousin really cares about the animals and wants to upgrade them but she keeps refusing. Any of y’all know how to convince her to do the right thing I’ll show a pic of the settups.

left is a beardie about the size of the tank
Right is a tiny Leo that should be an adult by this time

Attachments

• F5A0331C-716B-4F3E-95F3-E38C76F8D563.jpeg
    F5A0331C-716B-4F3E-95F3-E38C76F8D563.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 123
So my aunt has a child who has reptiles but they are not in the right settups in the slightest. My cousin really cares about the animals and wants to upgrade them but she keeps refusing. Any of y’all know how to convince her to do the right thing I’ll show a pic of the settups.

The beardy doesn't even have lights?

Nope, I don’t think either of them have beat
Poor babies are going to suffer and die in those set ups. 😢 If unable to convince your aunt that they need much better, are you able to care for them properly for your cousin? Perhaps another close family member can help out?
He wouldn’t be happy with me taking them as he cares for them, and they live about an hour and a half away so I don’t think so. Ps: my family doesn’t care for animals and only does what they need to keep them enclosed. The only reason I can care for my children properly is because we got most of the stuff we had to have when we first got them. And my mother knows what they need to survive and wouldn’t let them go without food or heat. Her sister on the other hand is the complete opposite, I think they have had at least 5 reptiles/ inverts that have died in the past year. And that’s about the length of time they have started to get into the hobby. It sucks a lot bc every time they get a reptile I try to help but they hear nothing of it. It’s a sad case
I’m realllllyy glad I talked her out of getting a chameleon

Last edited:
Do you think some good books about beardies and Leo care would be read by your cousin/owner? How old is the owner of the reptiles? Maybe if the kid read the books it would seem to the kid that it was his/her own idea to make the changes and the changes would be made?

I've known many people like this. The problem in most cases isn't that people don't know the care or don't know where to find it. It's that they don't see animals as having meaningful lives and therefore don't want to know the care. They're just replaceable property. I think it'd be almost more important to try and explain that these animals have personalities and are more intelligent than we take them for. Try and get them to empathize with the suffering they're going through. Maybe show them some videos or facts about reptiles that do a good job of demonstrating their more people-like qualities.

Do you think some good books about beardies and Leo care would be read by your cousin/owner? How old is the owner of the reptiles? Maybe if the kid read the books it would seem to the kid that it was his/her own idea to make the changes and the changes would be made?
The mother almost never listens, never listens to the children either. I believe she thinks of them as replaceable things that aren’t worth the effort to take care of them properly(the reptiles, not the children lmao). He’s around the 12 year mark I think and would never be heard by his mother. Maybe pestering her with it she would give in, or maybe just pass them over to me bc I’m the reptile person in the family, but but her giving them to me would be an absolute last resort as I don’t really want them

I've known many people like this. The problem in most cases isn't that people don't know the care or don't know where to find it. It's that they don't see animals as having meaningful lives and therefore don't want to know the care. They're just replaceable property. I think it'd be almost more important to try and explain that these animals have personalities and are more intelligent than we take them for. Try and get them to empathize with the suffering they're going through. Maybe show them some videos or facts about reptiles that do a good job of demonstrating their more people-like qualities.
Maybe I’ll show her some pictures of what will happen if they don’t get the proper care. That may make her a bit disgusted with herself and give in

Just show her vet bills from people who kept their animals in a similar setup.

If $3,000 in emergency care to stabilize a crashing reptile does not do the trick, then nothing will.

Just show her vet bills from people who kept their animals in a similar setup.

If $3,000 in emergency care to stabilize a crashing reptile does do the trick, then nothing will.
Ah even if she had a very sick reptile in her care, she wouldn’t even take it to the vet. My mother is the same way, I’ve only ever taken a reptile to the vet once and that was for my cham. Her reasoning would be the same as her sister’s “if it don’t look sick, I ain’t taking it to the vet” she never cares. I’ll try that though, thank you. I’m looking for photos online rn to scare her into getting the setups correct. Maybe both would work.

You just need to get care sheets and materials gathered for them. And show them to her every single chance you get. Be a proper husbandry pusher.
Yes, that would give her the information but not the push to actually do it. They had a hamster(in one of those critter trail death traps) earlier this year for her daughter and I told her what it needed and her exact words “ no, it’s fine. It’ll live in there for a while. Austin(another one of her children) had one in one of those cages for a long time. It’ll be fine.” Honestly I think a long time for her is around a month. I told her to at she should make a bin cage or get like a 50+ fish tank and have the toys and 6+ inches of those weird paper shaving thingies, and that was her reaction to hearing the correct information. Some people just aren’t meant to keep animals in general. They have like two dogs that stay in cages all day with like no interaction at all and she thinks it’s fine. That’s how cruel she can be. She won’t listen to a thing

Yes, that would give her the information but not the push to actually do it. They had a hamster(in one of those critter trail death traps) earlier this year for her daughter and I told her what it needed and her exact words “ no, it’s fine. It’ll live in there for a while. Austin(another one of her children) had one in one of those cages for a long time. It’ll be fine.” Honestly I think a long time for her is around a month. I told her to at she should make a bin cage or get like a 50+ fish tank and have the toys and 6+ inches of those weird paper shaving thingies, and that was her reaction to hearing the correct information. Some people just aren’t meant to keep animals in general. They have like two dogs that stay in cages all day with like no interaction at all and she thinks it’s fine. That’s how cruel she can be. She won’t listen to a thing
Sad.
Some people are like that.

Trap her in a box and tell her she can live a long time in it. 😂

Some people just aren’t meant to keep animals in general. They have like two dogs that stay in cages all day with like no interaction at all and she thinks it’s fine. That’s how cruel she can be. She won’t listen to a thing
I know the type, as do all veterinarians & vet techs.

Sometimes people need a bit of a scare like this if all else fails.
You could remind her that...
In Tennessee, abuse or neglect of an animal constitutes "cruelty to animals." "Cruelty to animals" is a Class A misdemeanor crime, punishable by up to 11 months, 29 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500.

Tennessee Code Annotated section 39-14-202(a) declares that cruelty to animals occurs when a person "intentionally or knowingly" does one or more of the following things:

(1) Tortures, maims or grossly overworks any animal;

(2) Fails unreasonably to provide necessary food, water, care or shelter for any animal in the person's custody;

(3) Abandons unreasonably any animal in the person's custody;

(4) Transports or confines any animal in a cruel manner; or

(5) Inflicts burns, cuts, lacerations, or other injuries or pain, by any method, including blistering compounds, to the legs or hooves of horses in order to make them sore for any purpose including, but not limited to, competition in horse shows and similar events.

If the animal is within an incorporated city or town, then the police department should be contacted. If the animal is located outside of city limits, then the sheriff's office should be called.
https://www.murfreesboropost.com/op...cle_fb7e1575-6032-5c2d-ba12-04d13a94cc78.html
Please read the entire article.

I'm not suggesting ratting out a relative—just passing along some "scare material".
But I doubt even this would help. I regret this is going to end badly for a lot of animals that don't deserve it. :(

Back
Top Bottom