Anyone into stick bugs? [Two stripped walking stick]

Hashtag ChamLife

Avid Member
So my son the other day was telling my wife about this walking stick at school. I told him next time to call me, lol. Well, he did! I'm the proud owner of one Wild Caught Sexed [Mating] Pair of Anisomorpha buprestoides!! He said he saw a really big walking stick. I was hoping for a female as they can reproduce without the males... but they will only produce females.

Anyway, I've done a bit of research and found out that they eat... well, plants. There's nothing really conclusive.

Does anyone know of anything that they will eat?

How big are the eggs/hatchlings? [Will a mesh viv keep them in, or will I need a container?]

I've heard conflicting stories... will she eat the male like mantids?

How long it takes from mating to egg laying to hatching?

Any kind of info is appreciated! Thanks for looking. 20191003_115024.jpg 20191003_120615.jpg 20191003_114957.jpg

Well, an update for science....

I've been able to house them without issues. Apparently, the males will take ANY female the find [hatchling to granny] and NEVER let go. They will continue to stay a mated/riding pair. [Till death do us part]

I've also been checking every morning to find eggs. Or at least what seem like eggs.

This is what I've found:
20191005_131928.jpg

And the breakdown:

20191005_131946.jpg
This is "frass" or poop. It's fairly brown/green as they eat plant matter.

20191005_132053.jpg

These are the eggs. [Over exposed to show detail, they're black]

20191005_131954.jpg

This was the first egg I found I thought it was frass. I squished it and out came the red goo. Interesting. That's how I figured out which were eggs! Process has begun!!!

Very cool. I have no info for you but excited to follow along. Fullthrottle feeders may have a caresheet for stick bugs that might offer help. :)
No offense as I know Nick is a busy guy and all... but I tried to send him and email asking about stick bugs and in a nutshell all i got was "can't ship to Florida sorry."

That being said, I've gotten as far as i have, gaining insights and experience along the way. [Which is arguably more valuable].

Regardless, it's fun to experiment. The good news is that a lot of what I've found out applies to many phasmids. [Stick, leaf, mantids, etc]. That will come in handy for when my mantids hatch too!

I'm actually hoping to be able to give a few away... supposedly the females will lay multiple eggs every night. Since I've been looking and aware - all of 2 days - ive averaged 5ish per day.

I'd say they are illegal to ship to most of the usa, just like the big black crickets. If you can "find" them then feel free to raise them.

Last edited by a moderator:
While a full grown bug **MAY** be illegal to ship... I can still go online and buy mantids and phasmids. Notice how you can order mantid ootheca, lacewings by the thousands, stick bugs, etc. The problem is with Florida specifically having strict agricultural regulations. However, these websites [Unlike fullthrottlefeeders] says where they do and don't ship each bug. There is a legal permitting process to ship them.

Here are mantids and phasmids you can buy fyi... legally shipped across the us.
Screenshot_20191005-174426_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191005-174513_Chrome.jpg

While a full grown bug **MAY** be illegal to ship... I can still go online and buy mantids and phasmids. Notice how you can order mantid ootheca, lacewings by the thousands, stick bugs, etc. The problem is with Florida specifically having strict agricultural regulations. However, these websites [Unlike fullthrottlefeeders] says where they do and dont ship each bug. There is a legal permitting process to ship them.

Here are mantids and phasmids you can buy fyi... legally shipped across the us.
View attachment 247856View attachment 247857

I too have sought after stick bugs (since they are huge and make lots of babies) but have been denied 3 times in ohio unless for teaching/study and i need a permit. The same goes for the big black crickets, im not allowed to have those either.

Frankly im surprised you can ship them at all since they are considered pests/invasive in most states. At least mantis are not pests.

As far as what they eat, i hear its mostly oak leaves and "ivy".

I too have sought after stick bugs (since they are huge and make lots of babies) but have been denied 3 times in ohio unless for teaching/study and i need a permit. The same goes for the big black crickets, im not allowed to have those either.

Frankly im surprised you can ship them at all since they are considered pests/invasive in most states. At least mantis are not pests.

Yes, it IS the fact that they are invasive that keeps them from going to certain areas... however if there are any species that are native to your area, you should be able to get those. Also on that point... Florida will literally inspect packages [and semi trucks mandatorily] for non-native bugs. We're waaaaay over the top here which makes us even harder to ship to.

If you're interested in getting some phasmids... well that I can help you with...

As far as what they eat, i hear its mostly oak leaves and "ivy".

Ha, apparently was just a post for you... and looks like that "company" has also made a forum account. [Stick/leaf bugs to go]

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/secret-menu.171631/#post-1520222

As far as the food source, I've also heard Ivy but I haven't had any luck with that. I've also heard "bramble" leaves [blackberries, etc]. Oak also didn't work for me, but there aren't many oaks and I'm not even sure which species they are. Hibiscus seems to be the winner for me... its abundant. [in all of my cages, outside my door, my back yard, lol]

One thing I have noticed is that once the leaves begin to droop or turn rubbery they don't seem to want them. The fresher the better. Which makes me want to try and dehydrate a bunch of leaves and try and make a chow.

Hopefully soon I'll need someone to "foster my pet walking stick mated pair"...

No offense as I know Nick is a busy guy and all... but I tried to send him and email asking about stick bugs and in a nutshell all i got was "can't ship to Florida sorry."

That being said, I've gotten as far as i have, gaining insights and experience along the way. [Which is arguably more valuable].

Regardless, it's fun to experiment. The good news is that a lot of what I've found out applies to many phasmids. [Stick, leaf, mantids, etc]. That will come in handy for when my mantids hatch too!

I'm actually hoping to be able to give a few away... supposedly the females will lay multiple eggs every night. Since I've been looking and aware - all of 2 days - ive averaged 5ish per day.
Sorry I actually meant this link but I was on my phone and well it is horrible for trying to cut and paste lol. He has caresheets on his website. Some of the info may be of help with yours :)
https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/stick-and-leaf-care-sheets

You mentioned in your first post that you wanted a female since some phasmids reproduce through parthenogenesis. But is the specie you have one that does that? There isn't much information about that specie out there so I'm wondering if you know that A. busprestoides reproduces through parthenogenesis, or was it based on what you read about phasmids?

Also, maybe you already read this online but that specie sprays a liquid that can irritate the eyes. I thought it would be worth mentioning if anybody else reads this thread and wants to go catch one or something.

You mentioned in your first post that you wanted a female since some phasmids reproduce through parthenogenesis. But is the specie you have one that does that? There isn't much information about that specie out there so I'm wondering if you know that A. busprestoides reproduces through parthenogenesis, or was it based on what you read about phasmids?

Also, maybe you already read this online but that specie sprays a liquid that can irritate the eyes. I thought it would be worth mentioning if anybody else reads this thread and wants to go catch one or something.
Yes, they are capable of parthenogenesis, however I have a mated pair. The male will ride the female until one of them dies.

Right, they can squirt a viscous and sticky fluid (roughly 18" accurate) as a defense mechanism. I personally havent had that happen to me as of yet. This is only the fourth day however.

Correct. Anisomorpha buprestoides.

I have had to do some digging to get the info, down to research and medical articles... having a second set of eyes and a place to keep track of everything is nice. Even if I've read it somewhere, I'm hoping all this can be found of use to someone.

Sorry I actually meant this link but I was on my phone and well it is horrible for trying to cut and paste lol. He has caresheets on his website. Some of the info may be of help with yours :)
https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/stick-and-leaf-care-sheets
Thanks! This would have been helpful for the main questions... just wish I would've seen it myself. I have browsed his site many times debating on what to get... and never noticed it tucked away. Cest le vie

Thanks!

Their eggs look exactly like seeds, oval to round depending on the species with a little dot in the middle of the end and they are pretty small, but noticeable

So this afternoon I came home to find my sticks "half dead". Literally, the male was/is still hanging from her... and hes still "attached". I've gotten about 10 eggs from the pair, so hopefully when/if they hatch I'll get at least one male. I'm also wondering how this half dead business will work out...

Will she drop his corpse eventually?
Will she not drop it and die herself?
Can she somehow manage to continue to get "fertilized" eggs out of it? [As opposed to parthenogenesis style][i just checked and there was an egg]
Can/should I try and remove him or will that cause more issues?

I tried to gently pull him off, but they seem to be locked in there pretty decently. Lots more questions!

20191006_083603.jpg

Last edited:
An update:

Well, he's still dead... and still hanging out. I'm tempted to remove him but I can't bring myself to do it. Keep thinking that this could be something that happens in the wilds so I'll just leave him.

This morning she was walking on the bottom of the cage dragging him along behind her. Now this afternoon shes hiding on a stick. However this was the largest "egg harvest" of any particular time period - 8 eggs.

Now my question is:
If shes laying more eggs is she trying to "beat the clock" so to speak and drop as many eggs as she can until the decaying corpse of her mate kills her? [Sorry, a bit morbid =/]

Or is she just feeling better now that she's a bachelorette and is happier not having to share resources and carry his lazy butt?

20191007_135200.jpg 20191007_140413.jpg

Update:

She finally ditched the dead weight - literally. Finally, this morning the males corpse was on the bottom of the viv. She seems to be doing well at this point though. I've collected about 35 eggs or so.

Side note; I found a beautiful Carolina female... I just hope shes been fertilized in the past as they are not like stick bugs and need to have mated once in their life to spin a fertile ootheca. Regardless, I have two Chinese ooths ready for feeding purposes and will keep this lady for the joy and looks... so strange yet so pretty...

20191012_142334_014.jpg 20191012_161720.jpg

Update:

She finally ditched the dead weight - literally. Finally, this morning the males corpse was on the bottom of the viv. She seems to be doing well at this point though. I've collected about 35 eggs or so.

Side note; I found a beautiful Carolina female... I just hope shes been fertilized in the past as they are not like stick bugs and need to have mated once in their life to spin a fertile ootheca. Regardless, I have two Chinese ooths ready for feeding purposes and will keep this lady for the joy and looks... so strange yet so pretty...

View attachment 248540View attachment 248541
What size are the hatchlings of the mantis? I’m trying to find tiny feeder options for my willsii

What size are the hatchlings of the mantis? I’m trying to find tiny feeder options for my willsii
The mantid hatchlings are minuscule... like ant size. To feed them you need leaves that have been eaten off of by other mantids... or shred the leaves. I believe this is because their mandibles can't penetrate the "tough" leaves. Here's a pic of a hatchling... if we can find it!!

20191013_115736.jpg

These are unknown.. I literally just found them a few minutes ago when I was looking around the trees outside of the hockey rink. I found an ootheca and pulled it apart and 5 or 6 ran out. I was able to grab these 2.
That being said I've hatched Chinese mantids before and they are the exact same size and delicacy.

You can also use fruit flies and pin heads... melanogaster are smaller than hydei for hatchlings purposes. Just make sure to try and keep fresh cut leave with them as a water source... they tend to drown otherwise

Back
Top Bottom