Anyone In the USA Dealing with The Freezing Vortex?

We made it through the cold. with only one cham related issue.

Not sure if its from my mistking pump getting kinked and not pumping water for 4 days, or if its from the cold, but nogah is not feeling good, we are off the vet today actually.

the chams got down in the dumps for afew days, except for Kokie the JJ, who didnt seem to mind too much.

I had to switch out all my bulbs for higher wattages, and still couldnt get them to normal basking temps.

Good luck at the vet, Camimom. I hope Nogah feels better soon. It's finally warming up here in northern Illinois. I hate when it gets this cold. :(

Lucky in Seattle as well. Not too bad, kinda rainy...shocking I know, but we have been temperature and snow lucky so far this winter.

That's good news!! Glad to hear it! :D

I was a little worried going into this week because this is the first time my lizard building has seen this kind of cold (-24 with wind chill), and with the recent rebuild I wasn't sure how it would handle it. Normally I don't have to heat it to keep it above 50 at night. It did fine- although some of my blow in insulation at the edges of the building seems like doesn't do as well as the old fiberglass rolls. I'm getting a little condensation right near the top plate of the wall from the cold air. Kept my water trickling and no freeze.

Wow it sounds like you have a really awesome setup with lots of lil guys in there. Nice blog btw! I'll definitely be coming back to read more in-depth. I hope you get the condensation figured out easy :) take care!

I just wanted to point out these because everyone has been talking about heat packs. They come in different sizes and shapes and you can reuse them by boiling them.

SWEET! Thanks for sharing this, it's going to help a ton of people get thru this cold spell.

The cold here in MD took the first victim.

Nogah died this morning, and whatever it was, i think it was brought on and made worse by this cold.

20140108_084551.jpg

20140108_084614.jpg

20140108_084709.jpg

lol u guys. It was -40 to -50 here with windchill for almost a week. Just broke today. -30's with just temperature alone.

Right now it's -8 and -20 with windchill. And this is warmer weather!

Yup in Illinois where I am, yesterday was -50 with wind chill. The power went out and I keep the Cham in the basement, temp dropped from 70 degrees to mid 50's within twenty minutes. I was constantly monitoring the temp and as soon as it dropped low 50's I was going to set up his cage upstairs. Luckily the power came on just in time and his heat lamps kept him warm.
He has been experiences some health issues this week and I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow. I hope he will be alright..
On a side note a rabbit got into the garage that night and I was going to leave him in the house till it warmed up by putting him in a cage, but the poor guy ran out before I could grab him. He froze overnight in the front yard.

Im in Buffalo NY which got hit bad. Also I am in the suburbs that got hit the worst. My first panther ever was sitting on a ups truck with -20 temps out and a driving band. Thank god lady at the hub went out the truck got him, brought him in her office and proceeded to have him hang out with her all day. My buddy was then able to go down and pick him up later in the day and took care of him until I could finally get him last night. All is well and he is doing fine

The cold here in MD took the first victim.

Nogah died this morning, and whatever it was, i think it was brought on and made worse by this cold.

Oh NO!! I'm so sorry :(

Weather has been CRAZY!! 2 to 10F most of last week, yesterday, the high was 55F!!?? :eek:

I have had to dig out more humidifiers, since my large room size unit cant
handle it.
Also had to put my space heater tower in the dinning room, with I know is
going to make my bill higher!

Checking their basking temps every day too, and increased the mistings.

Going through LOTS of water!!!

Back
Top Bottom