Anyone have CB melleri in the works?

I'm looking out for the next few months, but I'm not buying right now.

Is there anyone breeding melleri now? I'm going to be in the market in the next several months.

There are one or two up for sale in virginia beach if you're willing to drive. Not sure where you are in NC. Last I saw, looked good. One was a biggin'.

There are one or two up for sale in virginia beach if you're willing to drive. Not sure where you are in NC. Last I saw, looked good. One was a biggin'.

I would guess 1 or 2 is imported babies? Seems like if captive bred, it would be a large group and a big deal.

I would guess 1 or 2 is imported babies? Seems like if captive bred, it would be a large group and a big deal.

Came from an expo a local store owner hosted. Was there yesterday talking with him. Still has them. Forgot to look at them. They are sub-adults.

Keep an eye out on the forum because people are working with eggs every so often but the problem seems to be raising them up. I've been in the market as well and in the past 8-9 months there have been 2-3 clutches that I've been aware of (CB/CH) and they either crashed within a couple weeks of hatching or are slowly crashing several weeks after hatching. That's why I hold off when I see people selling CB melleri babies at 2-4 weeks of age, because I know they are just trying to get $200-300 per baby before they all crash and die shortly afterwards. And I think selling them that early isn't doing the babies any favors, either.

or they did..... sorry

Yes, I was going to say, I have been on top of them when they get the next batch in. They are definitely imports, I would not expect LLL to ever have CB of this species.

I would think 3 months old and a proven breeder from the forums is a good buy and worth $300 or more to buy, but if allegedly bred individuals I would not buy expecting to have any of the benefits of captive bred, unless you just want young to grow up and keep for many years (with the understanding they could harboring a load of parasites).

In my experience recently, the younger imports looked worse in shape than the larger ones. Maybe they had less room (smaller body volume) to become dehydrated or were picked on?

Back
Top Bottom