Anyone have any lethargic periods?

Mark_C

Established Member
Last 4 days Special Agent Pardalis has been in the same spot.
He's not basking, or moving at all as far as I've observed.
He looks fine, reaches for the occasional Dubia, doesn't seem dehydrated, and is actively tracking stuff.
Took him out for a few minutes yesterday and he got to wander and explore the houseplants (trees) for a couple hours and when I put him back home he went to the same spot. And he's been there all the morning today.
Just seems like he's taking a 4 day chill.
Its odd extended behavior for him, but Im not worried as he seems fine otherwise.
Anyone else experience this? It has me curious.

Winter blues is pretty common. They can do a slow down. Also if yall are getting any weather this seems to affect them.
As long as husbandry is on point and he is still eating then I would not stress yet.

yes. My juvenile veiled had a period when i first got her where She was lethargic for a while and had an ash-like black skin tone. After a few days she became much more active and turned back to her pastel green color and moved around much more. Give it some time and if she dosnt move around for a day or 2 take her to an exotic ASAP!

Last 4 days Special Agent Pardalis has been in the same spot.
He's not basking, or moving at all as far as I've observed.
He looks fine, reaches for the occasional Dubia, doesn't seem dehydrated, and is actively tracking stuff.
Took him out for a few minutes yesterday and he got to wander and explore the houseplants (trees) for a couple hours and when I put him back home he went to the same spot. And he's been there all the morning today.
Just seems like he's taking a 4 day chill.
Its odd extended behavior for him, but Im not worried as he seems fine otherwise.
Anyone else experience this? It has me curious.
Mine has been going to bed earlier than normal for the past couple weeks, everything else is normal. It’s so crazy how smart they must be to sense the winter and hunker down

I’m in NJ too! Jersey shore area myself. And my guy has the winter blues hardcore every year! It’s especially bad in December, where he’ll go a couple days just staying in the same spot & never going up to bask & the days he does bask, it’s just for an hour or two. He is mostly out of his winter funk now but does have his days here or there. As long as he is eating & drinking, that’s a great sign! Hopefully your guy is back to basking tomorrow. If not, maybe just increase the heat in the house a couple degrees tomorrow morning & see if that helps him get motivated . I notice on colder mornings, my guy doesn’t go up to bask right away. He waits till the heat kicks on & increases to around 72 (we let it get down to 60 degrees at night & heat kicks on at 7am & goes up to 72). It’s been a little colder than it has been lately in jersey the past few days & rainy (at least by me) so maybe he is feeling it. Good luck!

My Jackson’s does this at The beginning of every winter too. He gets a little better after awhile but if a storm is coming he starts it again. I live in Maine. My vet told me it’s kind of like a brumation..

My Jackson’s does this at The beginning of every winter too. He gets a little better after awhile but if a storm is coming he starts it again. I live in Maine. My vet told me it’s kind of like a brumation..
I’m glad to know that as long as my husbandry is on point this seems to be quite normal across the board 💚

I’m in NJ too! Jersey shore area myself. And my guy has the winter blues hardcore every year! It’s especially bad in December, where he’ll go a couple days just staying in the same spot & never going up to bask & the days he does bask, it’s just for an hour or two. He is mostly out of his winter funk now but does have his days here or there. As long as he is eating & drinking, that’s a great sign! Hopefully your guy is back to basking tomorrow. If not, maybe just increase the heat in the house a couple degrees tomorrow morning & see if that helps him get motivated . I notice on colder mornings, my guy doesn’t go up to bask right away. He waits till the heat kicks on & increases to around 72 (we let it get down to 60 degrees at night & heat kicks on at 7am & goes up to 72). It’s been a little colder than it has been lately in jersey the past few days & rainy (at least by me) so maybe he is feeling it. Good luck!
i’m in NY and my girl does the same things !

I'm actually in NJ
I'm in south jersey. Our weather has changed drastically in the last month or so. And has had some weird fluxes of both warmer and colder weather. IMO, this surely confuses our chameleons to some degree.

I just posted (I think last week) when we had 1 warmer day in the 50's(f) that Spike had changed his daily routine to be more like his summer routine(more active). But the weather got immediately cold after that 1 day and he immediately went back to his 'winter' routine.

Spike is 8mos old for the record. But his eating has clearly slowed down since the seasons changed. He is still very active, BUT his days are much shorter since it's cold, as he now goes to his 'resting' spot (with lights still on, but does NOT sleep until lights are off) much earlier. About 1-2 hours earlier.

There are times when hes not moving around much during the day. Just kinda basking. But he does still explore his enclosure to an extent. It's been probably about a week since he's "cage climbed" (which IMO, exhibits lethargic behavior compared to how he normally is).

He's mostly hanging around on his top branches where it's warmer (but not necessarily under his basking light, mostly the UVB/plant lights, but kinda close to where his basking light might hit a little bit).

He will explore the mid section of his enclosure still during the day, but not quite as often.

I'd say if hydration is fine (pay attention to humidity this time of the year it lowered for me and I had to make adjustments to my mister, but only slightly), and he's eating, he's probably fine.

What do his temps in his enclosure look like during the day right now? I'd monitor that and make sure it's not getting cooler than it needs to be in there. I have forced air heat at home and during the day I keep it at 71f.

Back
Top Bottom