Anyone ever kept a Cham outdoors?

Big E

Just something that I've been thinking about.
I'm here in San Antonio so weather is nice.
I'm thinking if I find a nice old oak tree build a nice huge cage and keep a chameleon outside. I'm figuring that once the wild rat find out he is out there sleeping it would be a wrap.

The winters I could move indoors no problem.

I'm guessing if I use a chain link I would have to insert slots to keep him inside.

Anyway is it crazy? Anyone else doing something similar. I am only thinking about the pros and cons.

A lot of people keep outdoor enclosure. Chicken wire is probably better than chain link. I do not keep outdoors so thats where Ill leave my comment. Good luck.

Plenty of keepers keep their chameleons outdoors however nothing I've seen to the extent you're planning. There are a few things you need to consider.

1) what type of Chameleon species are you wanting to keep outdoors?
2) what is the average high and average low temps?
3) what are your average high and low humidity levels?
4) can you keep things out and keep him in?
5) will you be able to monitor him appropriately? Meaning making sure he's staying hydrated, eating, and defecating?

Just something that I've been thinking about.
I'm here in San Antonio so weather is nice.
I'm thinking if I find a nice old oak tree build a nice huge cage and keep a chameleon outside. I'm figuring that once the wild rat find out he is out there sleeping it would be a wrap.

The winters I could move indoors no problem.

I'm guessing if I use a chain link I would have to insert slots to keep him inside.

Anyway is it crazy? Anyone else doing something similar. I am only thinking about the pros and cons.

Would this be your first chameleon?
I ask because of the chain link description.

I keep my Parsons outside spring to fall in PA. I use 1/2" coated steel wire screen. Plenty of bugs get through for him to eat, but I only worry about the fireflies as they're very toxic. Raccoons are the main worry here so as long as I keep them out I'm good. It gets very hot and humid during summer. He has tons of cover and mostly shade during the day other than morning sun. Just be mindful of dangers in your area, too much sun, temps, humidity, etc(like mentioned).

I'm sure I could keep the raccoons out.
I was just wondering about rats. We dont have a problem in this area but they are everywhere. They are so helpless at night.

Plenty of keepers keep their chameleons outdoors however nothing I've seen to the extent you're planning. There are a few things you need to consider.

1) what type of Chameleon species are you wanting to keep outdoors?
2) what is the average high and average low temps?
3) what are your average high and low humidity levels?
4) can you keep things out and keep him in?
5) will you be able to monitor him appropriately? Meaning making sure he's staying hydrated, eating, and defecating?

I think I can probably only answer one of the questions you asked about my current chameleon.

I think I can probably only answer one of the questions you asked about my current chameleon.

:unsure: I’m not sure any those questions were about your current chameleon unless that’s the one your planning to keep out there.

Back
Top Bottom