Any way to tell if UVB Bulb is used

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
Hello,

I recently ordered a ZooMed Repti-Sun hood for a ReptiSun UVB 5.0 bulb which I purchased separately, both from Amazon. When I received the hood, the box had a sticker on it saying that it came with a free 5.0 bulb which I was not aware of when ordering. In the hood package there were no instructions and the bulb was already installed in the hood, which I thought was strange. The power plug had the cap on it that covers the 2 prongs and grounding receptor.

I am wondering if this was a return or if someone may have ordered this combo to get a free bulb and then returned it with their used bulb. Is there any way to visually determine if the bulb has any hours on it? I'm on the fence about returning it since if I get a replacement it may be for a hood without the free bulb to begin with.

If its a linear, it will have darkening at the ends if it has a good amount of hours on it. So ifs its got a black ring around the ends and not completely white when off, its been used.

PS: unless you are using a 18" tall tank, or a T5ho setup, id return the 5.0 and get a 10.0 so the uvb can reach at least 12-18" into the cage. A 5.0 T8 or cfl will only have UVB output a foot away or less. Great for a fish tank, not so good for a 3-4ft tall chameleon cage.

If its a linear, it will have darkening at the ends if it has a good amount of hours on it. So ifs its got a black ring around the ends and not completely white when off, its been used.

PS: unless you are using a 18" tall tank, or a T5ho setup, id return the 5.0 and get a 10.0 so the uvb can reach at least 12-18" into the cage. A 5.0 T8 or cfl will only have UVB output a foot away or less. Great for a fish tank, not so good for a 3-4ft tall chameleon cage.
Thank you, i thought the same and it is completely white.

This is a linear florescent bulb, why do so many use this bulb in reptibreeze cages if what you said is true?

Since there are no visible signs of use (blackish coloring near the ends) I will use it, maybe I will swap out after 3 months instead of 6 to be safe.

Please, do not buy that. You pay for the sensor, not the “computing power”. This is junk.
Already buy it and I am using it, actually I test it side to side with solar meter and this is ok too provide information about "is the uvb is still good or bad" (no it's not a supercomputer but it's not a punch computer too) still better than nothing for fellow how are not ready too pay the 300$ for the 6.2;)

Ryan, I wound up with one of those for my earned tank. Unexpectedly came with a free bulb. You can use it.

Back
Top Bottom