Any tips? New veiled chameleon owner!

Isxbvlle

I’ve taken care of reptiles before, and have decided to purchase a veiled chameleon. I know they have several specific care requirements, but does anyone have any helpful tips that I can use to keep this baby happy and healthy? 😄

Attachments

• A7DF6C0D-DDCE-4D6E-8B13-AA44E618E178.jpeg
    A7DF6C0D-DDCE-4D6E-8B13-AA44E618E178.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 1E2CCFFC-5810-42DD-A882-4F93A5CE30DF.jpeg
    1E2CCFFC-5810-42DD-A882-4F93A5CE30DF.jpeg
    644.4 KB · Views: 104
Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Looks lie you have a nice little male there! That makes it easier in some ways already....you won't have to deal with egglaying issues!

Reading as much info on this forum as you can as well as reading information to the chameleon academy and Neptune the chameleon will help you get a good start.
These links will get you started...
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Your branches there look square. He should probably have round branches and as many natural ones as possible. You can find a place where you know they haven’t used pesticides and get some branches from trees, bring them home and wash them with dish soap and let dry in the sun and there you go!

Your branches there look square. He should probably have round branches and as many natural ones as possible. You can find a place where you know they haven’t used pesticides and get some branches from trees, bring them home and wash them with dish soap and let dry in the sun and there you go!
Thank you for the advice, these were sticks I had in there temporarily for his first days. I now purchased real branches for him to sit on which were created for husbandry. ❤️

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Looks lie you have a nice little male there! That makes it easier in some ways already....you won't have to deal with egglaying issues!

Reading as much info on this forum as you can as well as reading information to the chameleon academy and Neptune the chameleon will help you get a good start.
These links will get you started...
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Yes I specifically chose this little guy to avoid having to deal with eggs as a first time owner 😂 thank you for the advice!

Some additional advice for ya!

Find a good vet who is familiar with chameleons now, and do a wellness visit. That way if something goes wrong they already know you and your chameleon.

Stay curious! Chameleons have fun behavior to observe and everything they do is a clue as to how they're doing and if you need to tweak your husbandry.

Check out the forum sponsors if you need to buy feeders - silkworms, crickets, hornworms, roaches etc. Or consider starting your own colonies, that's much cheaper!

I'm attaching some graphics that are useful to reference too.

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food.jpg

I’ve taken care of reptiles before, and have decided to purchase a veiled chameleon. I know they have several specific care requirements, but does anyone have any helpful tips that I can use to keep this baby happy and healthy? 😄
I am in learning phase as well your veiled chameleon looks great. How long have you had hom

I am in learning phase as well your veiled chameleon looks great. How long have you had hom
Atlas ended up having a respiratory infection and I had to return him after only having him for a week. I have since purchased a healthier baby from a more trusted location, but it was still very unfortunate 😕

We’d love to see pictures of the new little one. I hope you disinfected the cage and supplies Atlas used before putting in the new Cham.

We’d love to see pictures of the new little one. I hope you disinfected the cage and supplies Atlas used before putting in the new Cham.
I completely disinfected the plants/cage and supplies with a safe cleaner after returning Atlas. Here’s a picture of Cruz, my new little one! (He’s currently going through a slow shed. A reptile vet checked him out and everything is going fine so far)

Attachments

• D0A1B150-EAF1-42A4-9233-EE897FD34462.jpeg
    D0A1B150-EAF1-42A4-9233-EE897FD34462.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 60
  • E5ABEB18-CD25-4D76-A4F8-9D26E7A38DCC.jpeg
    E5ABEB18-CD25-4D76-A4F8-9D26E7A38DCC.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom