Any tips for cup feeding?

marcsman16

Established Member
Hey guys
My chams doesn't seem to like cup feed, and I can't free range the crickets because my cage isn't cricket proof.
I also hand feed them but sometimes they like it and sometimes they don't.
What do you suggest?
I'm getting a little anxious... :eek:

What types of cups have you tried?in my exp glasses don’t work that well I use a large taco bell cup works great poke holes in the bottom for drainage and use a thumb tack to pin it up below his basking spot

Yes the soda cup How old is your chameleon it should be able to grab food without cutting the cup the large keeps the crickets in and allows him to exercise his tougnge muscle

You do not need to cut the cup.don’t have much exp with panthers how old are they?
They are 5 months old but they look younger. Here's a pic:
IMG_20180912_175038.jpg

Maybe you should go with a medium cup to make sure it doesn’t fall in pin the cup to the middle of the enclosure under the basking light so it can see them.are they in the same enclosure?and you should switch to linear uvb better for Viv’s and chams

Maybe you should go with a medium cup to make sure it doesn’t fall in pin the cup to the middle of the enclosure under the basking light so it can see them.are they in the same enclosure?and you should switch to linear uvb better for Viv’s and chams
No they are in different cages

If your Cham doesn’t like to cup feed I’m not sure how a soda cup will help you...

Check out the “feeder cups” from FullThrottleFeeders.com. This one contains the feeders and gives them something to climb up on. I find that chams react better to this set up because they feel like they are hunting, not just eating from the bottom of a cup. Seeing them climbing up and down will trigger his hunting response.

Below is a pick of my viv with a few young veilds in it. The cup on the left side is held up by magnets, it’s deep enough that the crickets can’t jump out. If you look closely you can see that I have a vine hanging halfway down the inside of the cup but never touches the bottom or sides. This allows the chams to get within range but doesn’t give the crickets something to climb out of the cup with.
D19CBF72-4E0B-4EA9-8DE7-A8C25FA9D549.jpeg
64724A10-1DC1-4222-BA2D-6A274309E79F.png

If your Cham doesn’t like to cup feed I’m not sure how a soda cup will help you...

Check out the “feeder cups” from FullThrottleFeeders.com. This one contains the feeders and gives them something to climb up on. I find that chams react better to this set up because they feel like they are hunting, not just eating from the bottom of a cup. Seeing them climbing up and down will trigger his hunting response.

Below is a pick of my viv with a few young veilds in it. The cup on the left side is held up by magnets, it’s deep enough that the crickets can’t jump out. If you look closely you can see that I have a vine hanging halfway down the inside of the cup but never touches the bottom or sides. This allows the chams to get within range but doesn’t give the crickets something to climb out of the cup with.View attachment 213899View attachment 213900

Are those eggs in the cups in the bottom, or something else?

There is nothing that stops them physically from jumping out other than the fact that jumping is a defensive reaction to evade a preditor. A couple will escape here and there but most just sit on the screen until they get picked off.

I've only used my feeder cup for superworms. The crickets just roam around in there until she eats them. I only put a few in there every day. I think she likes to hunt them down. She also will just sit there and wait for one to crawl close enough for her to get

I use the full throttle feeder cup for everything. My cham finds the superworms in the bottom just fine an likes picking the crickets off. The only thing is the roaches. they just hide in the bottom. just recieved my second one in the mail. Thanks @nick barta !

Regarding crickets jumping out of the cup, Brodybrueax25 is correct, here is the trick: Dust your crickets with calcium, vitamins, etc in a dusting cup. Let them calm down before you dump them into the feeder cup, and SLOWLY jiggle the dusting cup to let the crickets fall into the feeding cup. They will climb the grid on the back of the cup, but not jump out if they aren't feeling threatened.

CHEERS!

Nick

Regarding crickets jumping out of the cup, Brodybrueax25 is correct, here is the trick: Dust your crickets with calcium, vitamins, etc in a dusting cup. Let them calm down before you dump them into the feeder cup, and SLOWLY jiggle the dusting cup to let the crickets fall into the feeding cup. They will climb the grid on the back of the cup, but not jump out if they aren't feeling threatened.

CHEERS!

Nick

This defiantly helps! Like I said I have 1 or 2 of the adult ones that will get brave and jump but that is rare. If they do then my cham hunts them down anyway.

Back
Top Bottom