Any suggestions

RicoTheChem

I am only 14 and currently cannot afford a screen cage for my juvenile veiled chameleon. I know that his 10 gallon glass tank is more than likely stressing him out. Is there any way to combat this until i get enough money or can i make my own?

Here is what it looks like.

001.JPG

It's always the wisest course of action to have the proper enclosure set up and running properly before you purchase the animal. I'll often let my enclosure run for weeks while I check temps and ensure everything is working properly. I'm sure you'll remember that when you purchase animals in the future. If you have $20 here is what I'd do until you can buy or build a proper enclosure. Go buy a large, semi transparent Rubbermaid bin and a small piece of screen, 3'x6' would do. Cut a large hole in one of the short sides of the bin for lights, and cut out large squares on the two long sides. Cut a large square in the lid. Cut the screen into pieces that will fit over each hole with an inch or so of overhang. Using a hot glue gun, cover the holes with screen. (I would attach it to the outside so you can touch up if needed and the Cham won't be exposed to any small pieces of glue). Place the bin lengthways and cram it with live and plastic plants. You'll also want to watch your humidity in case it's lower with the airflow, and can cut a drainage hole if you wish. You should end up with something like the photo below. Another option is to buy 2"x2" lumber, screen, and staples to build you own which is quite easy. That would likely cost about $40 dollars and you must use a water based sealant on the wood before you use it (let it dry for days until there is little to no smell). And the next option would be of course to buy a screen cage which are $100 and up. Any of these options would be better that that setup, even a free range if you have no other animals such as dogs and cats. Your Cham won't last long in there. And remember the more foliage and branches, the better. It should be difficult to find your Cham when they aren't basking. Please familiarize yourself with the care sheets and it'll help you and your pet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 102
i dont know why he looks so sickly in the picture but he is well fed and maintained. he was also shedding at the time

It's always the wisest course of action to have the proper enclosure set up and running properly before you purchase the animal. I'll often let my enclosure run for weeks while I check temps and ensure everything is working properly. I'm sure you'll remember that when you purchase animals in the future. If you have $20 here is what I'd do until you can buy or build a proper enclosure. Go buy a large, semi transparent Rubbermaid bin and a small piece of screen, 3'x6' would do. Cut a large hole in one of the short sides of the bin for lights, and cut out large squares on the two long sides. Cut a large square in the lid. Cut the screen into pieces that will fit over each hole with an inch or so of overhang. Using a hot glue gun, cover the holes with screen. (I would attach it to the outside so you can touch up if needed and the Cham won't be exposed to any small pieces of glue). Place the bin lengthways and cram it with live and plastic plants. You'll also want to watch your humidity in case it's lower with the airflow, and can cut a drainage hole if you wish. You should end up with something like the photo below. Another option is to buy 2"x2" lumber, screen, and staples to build you own which is quite easy. That would likely cost about $40 dollars and you must use a water based sealant on the wood before you use it (let it dry for days until there is little to no smell). And the next option would be of course to buy a screen cage which are $100 and up. Any of these options would be better that that setup, even a free range if you have no other animals such as dogs and cats. Your Cham won't last long in there. And remember the more foliage and branches, the better. It should be difficult to find your Cham when they aren't basking. Please familiarize yourself with the care sheets and it'll help you and your pet.

i do ave one small dog but shes petrified of it. i might set up a little tiny garden inside my room made up of two vine based plants where he can just chill out at. what he really enjoys doing is walking around on my desk and climbing on my stuuf so i might glue some vines inside it. i will post the finished product in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom