Any suggestions for my setup?

Benclark

So this is still a work in progress. My veiled is still young (about 6-7 months) so I wanted to provide good hiding spots for him, so I added a few live plants for him to crawl around. All plants are chameleon safe. I have a water fountain that he loves, but I also mist him twice a day. I was thinking of adding another spider wood branch on top to be closer to the basking lamps but I'm not sure if it will be too close and burn him. As far as lighting goes I have two 75 watt basking bulbs and a T8 UVB bar lamp.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 87
So this is still a work in progress. My veiled is still young (about 6-7 months) so I wanted to provide good hiding spots for him, so I added a few live plants for him to crawl around. All plants are chameleon safe. I have a water fountain that he loves, but I also mist him twice a day. I was thinking of adding another spider wood branch on top to be closer to the basking lamps but I'm not sure if it will be too close and burn him. As far as lighting goes I have two 75 watt basking bulbs and a T8 UVB bar lamp.

Water fountains can be a bacteria breeding ground, so just know that it will need to be cleaned frequently. Most actually advise against using them for this reason, but it's interesting that your cham actually likes to use it. How long do you mist for?

Water fountains can be a bacteria breeding ground, so just know that it will need to be cleaned frequently. Most actually advise against using them for this reason, but it's interesting that your cham actually likes to use it. How long do you mist for?
1-2 min mist

I would reduce the wattage your running in that dual dome fixture.. two 75 watt bulbs is going to put out some intense heat... If they are focused basking bulbs then thermal burn risk is higher as well.

I agree with removing the water fountain. They are pretty and neat but unfortunately they get very disgusting.

I would reduce the wattage your running in that dual dome fixture.. two 75 watt bulbs is going to put out some intense heat... If they are focused basking bulbs then thermal burn risk is higher as well.

I agree with removing the water fountain. They are pretty and neat but unfortunately they get very disgusting.
Noted, I just removed the fountain, I have a monsoon mister that works on a timer, is that better?

Noted, I just removed the fountain, I have a monsoon mister that works on a timer, is that better?
Yes, and you can use a solo cup on the top with a pin hole in the bottom to provide a dripper if you want him to have access to that as well. this way the water simply goes in as clean drips onto the leaves and then drains out the bottom so it is not recycling it.

Yeah that should be fine. In lieu of the water fountain, you can run a dripper during the day if needed. You can also increase the duration at each misting depending on your humidity (and cham's drinking) needs.

Yes, and you can use a solo cup on the top with a pin hole in the bottom to provide a dripper if you want him to have access to that as well. this way the water simply goes in as clean drips onto the leaves and then drains out the bottom so it is not recycling it.
we replied at the same time 😂

Yeah that should be fine. In lieu of the water fountain, you can run a dripper during the day if needed. You can also increase the duration at each misting depending on your humidity (and cham's drinking) needs.
thanks for the info!

Yeah 1 75 watt should be fine i also have a monsoon but found the spray rather than mist freaked my girl out so I changed the nozzel to a Mistking nozzel (which mists) until I get a Mistking

It looks very nice! 👍 Is your t8 the Zilla brand? It looks like it has the plastic cover that mine had and I’ve gotten some great advice here and changed mine to the t5 linear ho. If you have a solarmeter and are getting the correct levels that’s great, but if not you might want to upgrade it too and maybe the same length as the cage if you do upgrade. There’s a really great YouTube video by Neptune the Chameleon testing the uvb levels 😊 and if you’re gonna remove one of the 75w bulbs it might be a perfect spot for an led grow bulb that will help your plants stay alive without overheating your chameleon. And I would say yes to adding another branch closer to basking but it depends on the strength of your uv bulb and if you remove the other basking bulb. 😉

Last edited:
It looks very nice! 👍 Is your t8 the Zilla brand? It looks like it has the plastic cover that mine had and I’ve gotten some great advice here and changed mine to the t5 linear ho. If you have a solarmeter and are getting the correct levels that’s great, but if not you might want to upgrade it too and maybe the same length as the cage if you do upgrade. There’s a really great YouTube video by Neptune the Chameleon testing the uvb levels 😊 and if you’re gonna remove one of the 75w bulbs it might be a perfect spot for an led grow bulb that will help your plants stay alive without overheating your chameleon. And I would say yes to adding another branch closer to basking but it depends on the strength of your uv bulb and if you remove the other basking bulb. 😉
Thank you so much! do you know where I could find an led grow bulb?

I myself got the dual t5 24” fixture that holds a 6500k grow light (fixture came with bulbs) next to my reptisun 10.0 (but I would do lots of research before getting any higher than a Reptisun 5.0 or 6% Arcadia) but I found another forum where someone recommended SANSI brand led so if I had that fixture I would most likely buy something like the pic attached. I’ll also attach a pic of the one I bought.
Btw so which t8 uvb light is it that you currently have??

Attachments

• 1911867A-F7BB-4E0E-ABB7-66EB448B4E86.png
    1911867A-F7BB-4E0E-ABB7-66EB448B4E86.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 68
  • F5CFABF3-A06E-4866-87CC-033D4A4C5AED.png
    F5CFABF3-A06E-4866-87CC-033D4A4C5AED.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom