Any safe, weird looking plants?

The Bearded Derek

Recently I went to a Home Depot and they had a couple weird and cool looking plants, I was wondering what plants I can add that look different than that classic green color. Any plant that has a weird leaf shape or a plant with different colored leaves and is a house plant. (Either just a pure color or a pattern) Doesn't have to be not green, at least just weird looking.

I also seen a plant that the stem was like a purple pink, about 1/3 of an inch thick with leaves that were pink and green (I forgot to take a picture, unfortunately) anything besides a Coleus (I plan to add one once, my veiled gets his bigger cage when he's about a year old) would be fine.

Was also wondering if I could use some sort of moss to keep the humidity up.

I like Crotons for color and height, plus there are many types. I have two speckled crotons in my tank.

crotons are very cool looking however can pose risks for toxicity and irritants to chams so I didnt buy them. things I have used for some colour are purple wandering jew, bromeliads, going to be getting a zebra plant. hibiscus can add some nice colour if you can keep it alive depending on where you live. most air plants are really different. many people have different opinions on using moss or not, i have a 4inch pot of baby tears i picked up last week which is something you can look at getting and continue growing from cuttings

Its the roots and bark that are the possible irritants. It's not necessarily toxic, more of an allergy to certain things (usually latex) I don't even know if chams are allergic to latex so it might not even be an issue. I guess if you have a cham that doesn't eat leaves that often it'll never be an issue. But if you have one that rips leaves off and gets the stems with it, then it's just a calculated risk (If a risk at all). Never heard of any people with crotons and chams having issues and neither have I.

I've done quite well with hibiscus, they just need TONS of light, usually a true full spectrum or a grow light. Not "Full spectrum" or "daylight" but lights that actually have the correct wavelength. One I had that I trimmed to keep under 18" bloomed pretty much nonstop.

My newest plant is a Fittonia that I hope to grow out as a ground cover type plant. Pretty white veined leaves or pink sometimes.

Moss can work out if you have the cage setup so it's not getting the same conditions the houseplants above it are.

Try Cordyline terminalis, or Gynura aurantiaca if you can find them.

So far, I'll think about the Zebra plant (I've seen a plant that looks like it but had 2 red lines, 1 on each side, couldn't get it since it was bundled in with an orchid in a big coconut) it seems easy, I need easy plants lol. All I got for the plant's lighting is the normal UVB and heat bulb for my cham.

By the way, I was wondering if I could add certain mushrooms? I've seen a few websites selling green, bioluminescent mushrooms. I've read they were safe for dart frogs and other amphibians but I wonder if they'd be okay with chams.

Back
Top Bottom