Any one eat feeder?

chameleoman

Avid Member
The though just came to me. Has anyone ever ate crickets, silks, butters, or hornworms? They sound pretty good to me, cooked on some coals like survivorman:p I would cook some and eat em up!

Yes and most insects don't taste that bad. I would recommend the "Eat-a-bug-cookbook", it contains a lot of recipes with different kind of feeders (meal worms, ants, bees, crickets, spiders...) and gives good hints how to prepare insects before eating. I tried meal worms first, they're easy to roast and taste great as sweets covered in white chocolate. Tried some locusts with rice and some thai shrimp dressing, too, but those haven't much taste of their own.

Last edited:
Not eating insects is almost entirely a western European phenomena. Any study of traditional diet and food sources in the rest of the non-western world will see bugs of some sort on the menu. It is odd that a culture that will eat hot dogs thinks bugs are gross to eat.

My question is if it okay for vegetarians to eat bugs. They are technically animals but the primitive nervous systems and the fact that they are a sustainable and low impact food source could make up for it.

lets see, i've had candied scorpion and mealworms and chocolate covered crickets. I've always wondered if they just bought those crickets at a dirty pet store and just poured chocolate on them. :mad:

Not eating insects is almost entirely a western European phenomena. Any study of traditional diet and food sources in the rest of the non-western world will see bugs of some sort on the menu. It is odd that a culture that will eat hot dogs thinks bugs are gross to eat.

My question is if it okay for vegetarians to eat bugs. They are technically animals but the primitive nervous systems and the fact that they are a sustainable and low impact food source could make up for it.

I imagine it would depend on the individual's reasoning. I dont eat meat because the texture bothers me. I would have no problem eating animals that are treated humanely (free roam and what not) but I cant stand the texture of meat. I will eat fish and snails and stuff (the pond snails my asian family eat, I am not so fond of though.) I also dont like commericial eggs, but the ones from my boyfriend's family's ranches/farms are wonderful! How they are treated and what they eat makes a HUGE difference!

Just make sure you gut load your feeders well prior to snaking on them, wouldnt want anyone to not get full nutritional value. :p

Wonder if I could gut load some dubias with A nice spicy Guacamole!!

I imagine it would depend on the individual's reasoning. I dont eat meat because the texture bothers me. I would have no problem eating animals that are treated humanely (free roam and what not) but I cant stand the texture of meat. I will eat fish and snails and stuff (the pond snails my asian family eat, I am not so fond of though.) I also dont like commericial eggs, but the ones from my boyfriend's family's ranches/farms are wonderful! How they are treated and what they eat makes a HUGE difference!

I think that is true there are many reasons people don't eat meat and it would depend on the reasoning as to if they would eat bugs or not.

I personally get a bad feeling from those who just love to eat everything edible and love killing and eating new and exotic animals. I suppose everyone has a different sense of adventure.

I think that bringing back the practice of eating bugs would be ecologically friendly and a legitimate good choice for getting calories not just because someone wants to be cool and eat something else that used to move.

Well, if an apocalypse hits, us westerners better be prepared to eat bugs. Personally, I don not eat my bugs. However, I do eat my DinoFuel in a smoothie every morning for breakfast. You can't taste it at all and it's packed with tons of healthy ingredients. :)

I also dont like commericial eggs, but the ones from my boyfriend's family's ranches/farms are wonderful! How they are treated and what they eat makes a HUGE difference!

You need to raise your own chickens or ducks and eat their organic eggs. I have pekin ducks and they lay huge, tasty eggs. Their eggs are by far tastier than chicken eggs. Give it a try if you get a chance. Pekin ducks can't fly and do not need a large pond to survive.

there's a sweet shop near me that sells mealworms as a savoury snack. They do BBQ flavoured or paprika. I haven't tried them but I always think meal worms smell like BBQ anyway, lazy flavouring!

not me, but my boyfriend tried a superworm while I crinkled my face.
He said it tasted like an avacado :p

I still didn't want one lol :cool:

Superworm

yesterday i was sitting in my room doing some work, Then it hit me that i was hungry...I was like, i'ma try a superworm since Jasper isn't eating any! lol

Didn't taste that bad, I didn't mind it but i wouldn't do it again lol. Might be good if you roast them with salt and pepper :D

Vegetarians still consume animal matter, so I'm going to say yes. Vegans, on the other hand, stay away from any and all animal matter, not only in terms of diet, but in lifestyle.

Well, if an apocalypse hits, us westerners better be prepared to eat bugs. Personally, I don not eat my bugs. However, I do eat my DinoFuel in a smoothie every morning for breakfast. You can't taste it at all and it's packed with tons of healthy ingredients. :)

I've definitely eaten my gutloads before! I only put human safe foods in them and it doesnt taste too good alone. In a smoothie, like you said, it doesnt taste like anything and you get extra nutrition!

I dont have room for ducks though (and after seeing my friend raise hers, I think it's a little too messay for me anyways.)

Okay im getting silks and horns and butters this week ill cook some on some coals cause it looks so good when les stroud does it! Ill take piks maybe record it:rolleyes::p

Back
Top Bottom