Any idea what could be wrong?

Hmmm... Possible issue with his mouth, teeth, or throat? That might cause him to hold out until he's starving & can't stand it, or it heals just enough between times he eats, then gets aggravated again? Might also explain all the drinking—feels good on whatever may hurt?

Of course I'm just spitballin' here. I think we're all brainstorming trying to help. ?
That's a pretty good thought! When he was being insanely crazy over horn worms, the last one he had was a little on the larger size. I know they can bite when they get bigger, or pinch (whatever it is, it's not pleasant ?) so I'm careful of that. But this one did something because when he got it, he threw his head over to the left, kinda like he was trying to smash it (the worm) against the vine or something. It was like watching WWF ?
There's nothing visible that I could see, but maybe it bit his tounge?
That was a while ago, like a month at least.

Entirely possible if it got inflamed or infected. Reptiles often take a long(er) time to heal due to their slower metabolisms. Might be worth an examination if you can get his mouth open.

Entirely possible if it got inflamed or infected. Reptiles often take a long(er) time to heal due to their slower metabolisms. Might be worth an examination if you can get his mouth open.
The first cham I had would let me open his mouth and he'd stick his tounge out. He was the best... so sweet ?

Sounds like a job for the vet with this one, at least for now anyway! He's a ?

At least I'm getting some ideas of what might be going on.
Thanks!

Please check the carnivore care to see whats in it in the way of D3, what form of vitamin A is in it.
I don't like seeing them on this for long. BTW I'm not a vet...just my opinion.

A trick that usually works to get the mouth open is to drip water on the tip of the nose. Once the mouth starts opening and shutting, you can SLOWLY...A BIT AT A TIME, ease the carnivore care in...YOU DON'T WANT TO GET ANY IN ITS LU...but I'd rather see you ease an insect BETWEEN ITS TEETH.

It would be good if you could get a look inside its mouth too.

Please check the carnivore care to see whats in it in the way of D3, what form of vitamin A is in it.
I don't like seeing them on this for long. BTW I'm not a vet...just my opinion.

A trick that usually works to get the mouth open is to drip water on the tip of the nose. Once the mouth starts opening and shutting, you can SLOWLY...A BIT AT A TIME, ease the carnivore care in...YOU DON'T WANT TO GET ANY IN ITS LU...but I'd rather see you ease an insect BETWEEN ITS TEETH.

It would be good if you could get a look inside its mouth too.
Believe me, I don't EVER want to give a cham supplements, no matter how long it's for.

But just to clarify, I only gave him the carnivore care for 1 week in March, and literally not more than 3 separate days over the past couple of weeks because he hadn't much.

When I see him start to get lethargic and shaky (not to be confused with neurologic twitches) I can't just let him continue to hold out for wax worms which he will eat at any given moment, proving that he does have an appetite.

I've given daily shots to a cham in the past and that was not at all fun!

I appreciate your input! I'm hoping to have his large enclosure done this weekend and hopefully that will help with whatever has him unsettled ?

So I finally got the large enclosure ready last weekend. It made me want to be a chameleon so I could live there ?

I was so excited to introduce Waldo to his new home, but OMGOSHHHHHHH what now??!! He acted really strange, taking these awkward steps when he moved his back right leg (it's ALWAYS something on his right side ?). He would swing his leg way out, almost like he was going to stretch it up to scratch shed off his back, back he wasn't. Then when he put his foot on the branch it would slip off, which caused his left foot to slip off too. He walked fine on the carpet, or the furniture, and I hadn't let him walk around on the porch since the cut on his front foot (plus finding a really big snake skin out there has me freaked out so he'll probably never go out there again ?) .

He still had no appetite, except for wax worms. I got him a shooting gallery for his feeders. He wasn't interested until it was empty, then he got IN it ??‍♀️

Then yesterday I saw it! He had another cut on the bottom of his foot, this time on his back foot (the other was the front foot, same side). No wonder he didn't want to walk on the branches in his new cage ?

He must have hurt his feet climbing the screens in his old enclosure, and every time I opened the door he'd try to climb out, holding on to the door with his right feet (maddening little ?)

Back to the vet this morning. She sealed up the cut, gave him a B12 shot, hoping it will help his appetite, and managed to get some blood to check his uric acid levels.

He has lost weight, which didn't surprise me. He's very thin ?

He's also developed a RI (it's early stages so that's good we caught it early). So now an antibiotic as well ?

He's a very unhappy cham-per today (sorry, bad punn), but here's his poor little foot, and his new enclosure.

Attachments

• 20200918_080829.jpg
    20200918_080829.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200918_141952.jpg
    20200918_141952.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 86
Sorry you're having such a tough time with this one.

Will this new enclosure end the foot cuts?
Thank you!

It definitely should, now that I know he had to have gotten them from the insane screen climbing he was doing in the large reptibreeze.

He's already more active today than I've seen him in a while, which is great, so I'm hopeful that this new enclosure will solve his misery, which will also solve mine too!

Now just giving him giving him his antibiotic every day. That stresses us both. He is horrible! He won't open his mouth until he's ready to fight, then it's dangerous for us both ?

So I finally got the large enclosure ready last weekend. It made me want to be a chameleon so I could live there ?

I was so excited to introduce Waldo to his new home, but OMGOSHHHHHHH what now??!! He acted really strange, taking these awkward steps when he moved his back right leg (it's ALWAYS something on his right side ?). He would swing his leg way out, almost like he was going to stretch it up to scratch shed off his back, back he wasn't. Then when he put his foot on the branch it would slip off, which caused his left foot to slip off too. He walked fine on the carpet, or the furniture, and I hadn't let him walk around on the porch since the cut on his front foot (plus finding a really big snake skin out there has me freaked out so he'll probably never go out there again ?) .

He still had no appetite, except for wax worms. I got him a shooting gallery for his feeders. He wasn't interested until it was empty, then he got IN it ??‍♀️

Then yesterday I saw it! He had another cut on the bottom of his foot, this time on his back foot (the other was the front foot, same side). No wonder he didn't want to walk on the branches in his new cage ?

He must have hurt his feet climbing the screens in his old enclosure, and every time I opened the door he'd try to climb out, holding on to the door with his right feet (maddening little ?)

Back to the vet this morning. She sealed up the cut, gave him a B12 shot, hoping it will help his appetite, and managed to get some blood to check his uric acid levels.

He has lost weight, which didn't surprise me. He's very thin ?

He's also developed a RI (it's early stages so that's good we caught it early). So now an antibiotic as well ?

He's a very unhappy cham-per today (sorry, bad punn), but here's his poor little foot, and his new enclosure.
The new enclosure looks fantastic though. Hopefully he will get to feeling better soon so he can enjoy his new home.

You said.."Now just giving him giving him his antibiotic every day. That stresses us both. He is horrible! He won't open his mouth until he's ready to fight, then it's dangerous for us both"....did you try the "water dripping until he drinks, slip in the antibiotic" method I suggested for the carnivore care above to get the antibiotics in him in a less stressful manner?

You said.."Now just giving him giving him his antibiotic every day. That stresses us both. He is horrible! He won't open his mouth until he's ready to fight, then it's dangerous for us both"....did you try the "water dripping until he drinks, slip in the antibiotic" method I suggested for the carnivore care above to get the antibiotics in him in a less stressful manner?
Uggggg! I completely forgot about that, but if we make it to tomorrow, I'll do that for sure!
Something just happened and I have no idea what's wrong.... I have to start a new thread ?

Back
Top Bottom