Any Guinea Pig Owners? = )

PrettyInInk87

I will be getting an adult female Guinea Pig today. I have done lots of research but just wanted to know if there are any suggestions as to what I can do to make her extra happy. She will be given to me with cage and supplies but don't know exactly what it'll look like. From the picture, she looks like she is an all black guinea. :D I'm not being racist or anything but I had to name her Oprah! Lol! :)

Okay, so it would be best if you could eventually adopt her a girlfriend so they can keep eachother happy :) the minimum for one or two piggies is 7.5 square feet of floor space. You won't find a pet store cage that big, so it's easiest to build one. You need to feed her veggies two times a day and you need to research which veggies are best and how often they should be fed. Don't use any pellet food that has extra stuff in it. Pellets ONLY. They really like places to hide under, so boxes and towel tents are perfect for them.

Romain, other lettuces, cilantro, and bell peppers can be fed daily with other veggies and the Occational fruit as well. She will also need unlimited access to grass hays (not alfalfa.)

I recommend reading and learning from this site: guineapigpages.com

Edit: oh yeah, and an hour of floor time every day would be perfect. If she could stay out even longer that would be better!

My Mum keep guineas. I think they are noisy, stinky things, lol! When I was a child she had 29 of the things! I got to watch one female, Jemima, give birth - that was amazing! They are really cute as babies but I don't think I'd have any.

Okay, so it would be best if you could eventually adopt her a girlfriend so they can keep eachother happy :) the minimum for one or two piggies is 7.5 square feet of floor space. You won't find a pet store cage that big, so it's easiest to build one. You need to feed her veggies two times a day and you need to research which veggies are best and how often they should be fed. Don't use any pellet food that has extra stuff in it. Pellets ONLY. They really like places to hide under, so boxes and towel tents are perfect for them.

Romain, other lettuces, cilantro, and bell peppers can be fed daily with other veggies and the Occational fruit as well. She will also need unlimited access to grass hays (not alfalfa.)

I recommend reading and learning from this site: guineapigpages.com

Edit: oh yeah, and an hour of floor time every day would be perfect. If she could stay out even longer that would be better!

Oh she'll have LOTS of floor space. :D I'm a stay at home mom so i'm home all day and night. I'll have to try her out with my brother-in-laws cat to see how they get along. First i'll let her acclimate for a few days before I start trying to handle her. I was told she was a little skittish but i'm sure I can get her out of that. Bell Peppers? Awesome, we have those around all the time... I'm going to do a research on what types of fruits and veggies to give her for sure. Thank you!

I use to have Rabbits and Hamsters so I know how stinky they can get... I have 12 tanks and Hughs 4 foot tall cage in our bedroom and have no pet odor what so ever, I just hope my bf doesn't kick me out along with this Guinea Pig if she starts getting stinky. Lol! Can they be litter trained like Bunnies and Ferrets?

Well, if you use fleece bedding (it cheaper in the long run) you can just sweep up the poops every or every other day and they pretty much have no smell. Just be sure to wash the pee towels underneath once a week and you're set! The only smell my three have is hay. :)

Piggies are skittish by nature, But some become very friendly lap piggies. I happen to have one lap piggy, one friendly piggy who can't sit still, and one piggy that hates any and all human contact. None of them like being picked from their cage, but they become different piggies when they are out (except the antisocial one.)

As for cats, some get along with the guinea pigs and some don't. Obviously never leave them alone unsupervised. You may end up needing to have the cat in a different room while she is out. My dog loves sitting with my pigs and sometimes she will lick them a little. The piggies like to hide under her legs and snuggle with her. :) I think she thinks they are her babies.

I LOVE guinea pigs! I have three - big dave, little dave and cardboard box (aka boxy) - oh and bob the rabbit who has become an honourary guinea pig!

They are def. not really solitary animals, maybe you could visit a local rescue and see if theres a castrated male or a female of a similar age who needs a home?

The other thing I'd say that I havent seen mentioned yet, is that she will require a good quality commercial food specifically for guinea pigs (rabbit food is no good) and access to hay (preferably unlimited supply!) and other fresh veggies, (go easy on the fruit) to keep her teeth trim!

Edit: OK, i just saw the food bit already mentioned! I would advise sparingly feeding lettuces and leafy green veg though - a couple of times a week maybe - the lettuce contains a lot of water which can make the faeces loose and then they won't eat them, and the leafy green veg contains high levels of vit A.

I had them when I was a boy. We mated my peruvian with the one next door and took one of the males. father and son used to fight a little but nothing major.

They were both lap piggies but the do love to run around and explore too.

My dad build a wooden box with a circular hole as an entrance . I used to tie a carrot to the end of a stick and "fish" them out of their box

Lettuces are fine fed regularly. If they are integrated into the diet properly they shouldn't cause any runny poops. They are one of the few foods you can feed every day. Water is a good thing. Some piggies won't drink from water bottles and only get water from their veggies. High calcium leafy greens shouldn't be fed daily, but red, green, curly, round, butter, and romain lettuce are good to feed daily (preferably not one kind consecutively for more than two days or so.)

Edit: veggies are a source of beta carotene vit A which is converted as needed. There is no problem with them getting a lot of beta carotene. It's the preformed vit A you don't want to feed excessive amounts of.

Well, if you use fleece bedding (it cheaper in the long run) you can just sweep up the poops every or every other day and they pretty much have no smell. Just be sure to wash the pee towels underneath once a week and you're set! The only smell my three have is hay. :)

Piggies are skittish by nature, But some become very friendly lap piggies. I happen to have one lap piggy, one friendly piggy who can't sit still, and one piggy that hates any and all human contact. None of them like being picked from their cage, but they become different piggies when they are out (except the antisocial one.)

As for cats, some get along with the guinea pigs and some don't. Obviously never leave them alone unsupervised. You may end up needing to have the cat in a different room while she is out. My dog loves sitting with my pigs and sometimes she will lick them a little. The piggies like to hide under her legs and snuggle with her. :) I think she thinks they are her babies.

Way back when I was in middle school I had a guinea pig. I took him everywhere and he'd just sit on my shoulder and watch everyone. I gave him away eventually because the weather weather was not suitable to keep him outside. My mom wouldn't let me keep him inside... :( BUT now I get to keep another. I REALLY hope she and the cat get along... Shadow the cat is an all black cat and she is an all black guinea and they would look so cute together. Shadow likes to stalk my bird and my geckos but they are small and move quickly. Lol! A Guinea is much larger so I doubt he'll want to eat her... I'd never leave them alone, lol! Cat's are crazy.

I once had a Hamster that lived in my bedroom, I set a box under my bed and that was his home. I'd whistle and make kissing noises like you would a dog and he'd run out and stand up on his hind legs. I'd put my hand down and he'd climb up on my hand and lick me. I miss him SO much! :( He was with me for 3 years and a half and then died of old age.

Anyway, back to Guineas. Ahhh! Can't wait. I'll be heading over at 1 pm to pick her up.

I LOVE guinea pigs! I have three - big dave, little dave and cardboard box (aka boxy) - oh and bob the rabbit who has become an honourary guinea pig!

They are def. not really solitary animals, maybe you could visit a local rescue and see if theres a castrated male or a female of a similar age who needs a home?

The other thing I'd say that I havent seen mentioned yet, is that she will require a good quality commercial food specifically for guinea pigs (rabbit food is no good) and access to hay (preferably unlimited supply!) and other fresh veggies, (go easy on the fruit) to keep her teeth trim!

Edit: OK, i just saw the food bit already mentioned! I would advise sparingly feeding lettuces and leafy green veg though - a couple of times a week maybe - the lettuce contains a lot of water which can make the faeces loose and then they won't eat them, and the leafy green veg contains high levels of vit A.

I will definitely be looking for another Guinea... I won't be able to fit anymore cages in our bedroom or a larger cage. Is there any way I can keep 2 in a smaller cage? Again, i'd be able to give them LOTS of "free range" time. I just saw a few more guineas up for adoption. I'll keep an eye out for another free female. :D

My friend has a crazy beast cat who hunts jackrabbits in the field by our houses! He's not even a big cat! He's maybe 8 lbs at most. They had to stop leaving the dog door open when they weren't home because they would find half dead or half eaten rabbits :( I doubt yours will be like that though!

Guinea pigs are so cute when they run around! It's even better when you have multiple because they like to make 'piggy trains' and follow eachother around. Two of mine also like to hide under eachother. The smaller one just digs right under the bigger one and hides under her long hair :) It makes the pig on top look like a huge fat ball of fur!

Edit: Two can live in a smaller cage if they are out for most of the day and the cage is just a 'home base.' the only problem with that is you can't really train them to poop in a certain spot. Mine are trained to pee in a bin, but poops end up everywhere!

Got to share! This is Boxy, my fav. piggy!

40215_153832914631708_100000150017800_525602_1632369_n.jpg 40993_157426707605662_100000150017800_547735_7747842_n.jpg

My friend has a crazy beast cat who hunts jackrabbits in the field by our houses! He's not even a big cat! He's maybe 8 lbs at most. They had to stop leaving the dog door open when they weren't home because they would find half dead or half eaten rabbits :( I doubt yours will be like that though!

Guinea pigs are so cute when they run around! It's even better when you have multiple because they like to make 'piggy trains' and follow eachother around. Two of mine also like to hide under eachother. The smaller one just digs right under the bigger one and hides under her long hair :) It makes the pig on top look like a huge fat ball of fur!

Edit: Two can live in a smaller cage if they are out for most of the day and the cage is just a 'home base.' the only problem with that is you can't really train them to poop in a certain spot. Mine are trained to pee in a bin, but poops end up everywhere!

Hahahah! The piggy train thing REALLY actually made me "lol". Man, I can't wait. Lol! I LOVE how they make their little piggy noises... The one I had use to make them when I scratched him back. Lol!

The cat we have here is a big cat, he's about 13 pounds... I doubt he'll mess with the guinea. He LOVES to chase the stray Crickets but never actually kills them. He'll swat at them and stalk but won't try to eat them or anything. :D Stop it! Your making me so ANTSY! Lol!

Ahahahahah!! Oh my god! He has the cutest little face and man that second picture is awesome.

hes by far the friendliest and most chilled of the three, but its just down to handling - all of my animals (apart from the cham!) are handled daily and checked over for lumps and bumps and stuff - the 2nd photo was boxy having his daily check!

Lettuces are fine fed regularly. If they are integrated into the diet properly they shouldn't cause any runny poops. They are one of the few foods you can feed every day. Water is a good thing. Some piggies won't drink from water bottles and only get water from their veggies. High calcium leafy greens shouldn't be fed daily, but red, green, curly, round, butter, and romain lettuce are good to feed daily (preferably not one kind consecutively for more than two days or so.)

Edit: veggies are a source of beta carotene vit A which is converted as needed. There is no problem with them getting a lot of beta carotene. It's the preformed vit A you don't want to feed excessive amounts of.

Hmm... may be a geographical thing - here we're always told to feed them sparingly - even told that at uni (i study vet anatomy and my flatmate studies veterinary medicine).

Mine are more than happy to drink from a bottle, but will offer them more lettuce! Mine also go mad for celery and parsley

These are my three girls. Left to right: Mabel, Clarice, and Alexandria. :) Mabel has a small eye, but she is still the top pig, Clarice is the middle pig and she is the youngest at about 11 months old, and Alex was the runt of a litter and is antisocial. I think Mabel might be Alex's sister because the shelter said they were the same age, but I don't know for sure. Clarice likes to hide under Alex, and Mabel likes to eat. Mabel is the lap pig and Clarice can't sit still but is still a friendly piggy. The two long haired ones just had a hair cut from my sister. Don't laugh :) I love adopting animals from shelters.

6d3b92cb.jpg

bf22d11b.jpg

df70e039.jpg

Mine don't even drink the water in their bottle! They just empty it for fun. Sometimes they blow bubbles back into it too.

A great nutrition and just general guinea pig resource is www.guineapigcages.com they have a great forum like this one as well! They are very anti-petstore/breeding, as am I, so if you join, don't bring up anything like that.

Mine don't even drink the water in their bottle! They just empty it for fun. Sometimes they blow bubbles back into it too.

A great nutrition and just general guinea pig resource is www.guineapigcages.com they have a great forum like this one as well! They are very anti-petstore/breeding, as am I, so if you join, don't bring up anything like that.

lol I am too! all of my animals are rescues and are castrated/spayed (species depending!) before they cross the threshold! The long haired ones are hilarious! lol I'll post a photo of my guinea pig family!

My piggy family!

L-R - Big Dave (and poo friend!), Little Dave (big dave's son) and Boxy (Big Daves brother) - gotta love them lips!

164165_188745834473749_100000150017800_770607_5934430_n.jpg

Edit: photo fail!

Back
Top Bottom