Any first hand experience with a plant related death???

Shanar808

Avid Member
I ask this to further my research into toxic plants for chameleons. The information on many lists have toxic issues with cats and dogs. Though it seems as if chameleons do not have the same reactions to those toxins. I’m curious if anyone has had a first hand experience with a chameleon getting poisoned by a plant? And if so how much of this plant was eaten? If anyone has had their chameleon eat an uncommon toxic plant with or without symptoms please do comment as well. Any information is greatly appreciated!

I thought about posting this the other day actually lol. I doubt anyone has. What could possibly happen is that eating a toxic plant could cause longterm damage that shortens the overall lifespan. I think this would be more likely than an immediate death. No idea if that is the case either, just a guess.

I thought about posting this the other day actually lol. I doubt anyone has. What could possibly happen is that eating a toxic plant could cause longterm damage that shortens the overall lifespan. I think this would be more likely than an immediate death. No idea if that is the case either, just a guess.
Thank you! At least I’m not alone. I’ve spent hours researching chameleon safe plants but the real question is “where is the toxic to chameleon lists?” and are they based on necropsies or theory?

Thank you! At least I’m not alone. I’ve spent hours researching chameleon safe plants but the real question is “where is the toxic to chameleon lists?” and are they based on necropsies or theory?

That's the thing, they're all pretty much guessing. No one is certain that I know of. Even cham academy is just educated guesses. For non plant eating species, I use any plants that I feel like(within reason).

I’ve read a thread where someone posted that a philodendron killed their chameleon but whether it was the impaction or the toxin isn’t exactly clear. 🧐

Many poisonous plants are irritants (Dieffenbachia) and "may" have caused a chameleon to go off food temporarily. In cats and dogs the swelling associated with eating it can make it so they can't meow or bark. It would have the same effect on your mother in law (don't do it) and might affect chameleons similarly as the poison isn't processed or eliminated by a specific physiology like oxalate or alkaloids might be. It is a contact irritant of mucous membranes.
I do know people that use these plants but none that own plant munchers or reported a problem. So no help here.

Back
Top Bottom