Any downsides for permenant free range?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
I can't help but notice my cham loves being out of his cage and seems more confident and natural when on his free range. Assuming misting, humidity, lighting, feeding, making sure he can't escape, etc. Is handled, would there be any other problems i may not be thinking about that come from free ranging? If not why don't more people seem to do it, doesn't seem too difficult. The only thing i was thinking is he would need to be cup or handfed, other than worms i could sit on branches.

Wouldn't be all over the house, he would be confined to 1 room and in the room I would keep his stuff in the corner with something to keep him from climbing out at the bottom.. I guess it would be like an enclosure just without walls lol. Already have ideas for drainage, poop, etc. don't think that should be an issue. I thought about humidity, but the room is already filled with plants, it's a spare room. Even before I mist on the driest days it doesn't seem to get lower than 40%. With misting and everything during the day it's easily 50-70%.

Wouldn't be all over the house, he would be confined to 1 room and in the room I would keep his stuff in the corner with something to keep him from climbing out at the bottom.. I guess it would be like an enclosure just without walls lol. Already have ideas for drainage, poop, etc. don't think that should be an issue. I thought about humidity, but the room is already filled with plants, it's a spare room. Even before I mist on the driest days it doesn't seem to get lower than 40%. With misting and everything during the day it's easily 50-70%.
Ok and what type of chameleon are we talking about?

Cool, shouldn't be an issue after mistings with drops to 40-60 in between. If any problems arise i have a cage just incase.

Well shower curtains on the walls surrounding and a plastic table, thinking like one of those foldable plastic ones. With a hydroponics bin holding the plants where the water will drip into. From there i would have holes drilled through to have it drain into a bucket underneath. That's just a basic rough draft idea though.

That would work well Good luck take a picture and share it when you have it all done it could help other people with theirs i just finished a huge cage for a couple parsons chameleons i need to share on here still.

I think a lot of issues why more people don't do is they do have other animals which can cause huge issues, and a lot of people don't have extra rooms to give to their chameleon. Which would make creating a good environment for certain species impossible.

Thanks guys. Once it's done i'll take a picture for sure, i have a pretty cool idea for it that i hope i can follow through with. Just need to find a damn day to spend working on this.

I have a permanent free range for one of my chams In a spare room and I think free ranges look better and some chameleons and from the sound of it yours like it more as they feel less confined. I think you should go for it! But make sure to plan everything out before going at it! Here is the thread of mine I just finished if you want to take a look for ideas.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/finished-free-range.156806/#post-1341659
There are also many other great free ranges on here. Good luck and post your pics on the way!

Back
Top Bottom