any do a DIY foam background in their enclosures?

xxaprilrose

I guess this could go for your chameleon or any other reptile, but has anyone done a DIY foam background for their enclosure? If so, can you supply pics for inspiration? I am a little stuck. Additionally, I think I want to paint over the foam in a dark gray almost black.... But, do you think this would affect the chameleons coloring? Would it be too dark? I will be having the enclosure be bioactive and will of course be adding in a TON of plants so will be colorful except for the background. I think the wood I bought is going to be light in color as well (I bought branches online so havent received it yet). What I bought is a glass 32x18x32 and will be getting a second chameleon who will only be 3 months I assume when I get him. I do plan on adding a screen enclosure to the top of the glass enclosure when he grows a bit to expand the height. Glass enclosure would be most ideal in my house with our weather, and I did a lot of research on this so we should be good in that department. I have a 2x2x4 screen enclosure in an add on room of my house that my current male chameleon lives in, in which screen would be best in that room as the room is not exposed to my house a/c (which sucks ALL moisture out of the air). Just wanted to provide my current setup incase any one was curious. But all in all, if you have any enclosure pics with this please help lol. Also I could note that I bought another enclosure for a gargoyle gecko that I will also be setting up so if anyone even has a gecko enclosure for inspo I would love that!

BryanP

Established Member
This is what I am working on. Trying to decide what paint to use but I used 3in styrofoam and a blow torch to sculpt it. I'm not a fan of the great stuff foam/carve/coat with eco earth.
20210917_105157.jpg

xxaprilrose

This is what I am working on. Trying to decide what paint to use but I used 3in styrofoam and a blow torch to sculpt it. I'm not a fan of the great stuff foam/carve/coat with eco earth. View attachment 310221
Oh I love that! As for the coating in eco earth I totally agree!! I hate it and definitely don’t want to do that. I’m thinking of painting it with drylock. Or at least that’s what all the you tubers use and recommend so I just went with it 😂

BryanP

Established Member
I too was going to go with drylok but its $35/gal and it's just latex paint so I am going to go to the hobby lobby and buy some browns, blacks, and greys latex paint and just paint it. The styrofoam is waterproof as it is and is not open cell like carved expanded foam so as long as I can fill the holes with enough coats of paint I'm not worried.

May even check lowes oops paint section for a gallon of latex paint and see if they can just add some brown tint.

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Additionally, I think I want to paint over the foam in a dark gray almost black.... But, do you think this would affect the chameleons coloring? Would it be too dark?
If you do decide to go dark, you may have to bump up plant lighting. Dark colors absorb light, vs. light colors that reflect it.

Also, depending on the foam (I've seen some folks use up to 3-4" thick) it may reduce the usable space inside. 3" of foam on the back of a 32x18x32 enclosure represents almost 17% of the volume of the enclosure. Just something to consider.

Camiezone

Hi, I'm abit over the extreme side of everything ( just to warn you lol) I've built all my enclosures. Both in and outdoors. Absolutely love making them, if you have any questions I can try to assist you with answers. I'll attach a few pics of some different ones.

Attachments

• 20210702_193234.jpg
    20210702_193234.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210505_100955.jpg
    20210505_100955.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210702_192908.jpg
    20210702_192908.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210702_191947.jpg
    20210702_191947.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210320_105810.jpg
    20210320_105810.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200728_213153.jpg
    20200728_213153.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 33

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi, I'm abit over the extreme side of everything ( just to warn you lol) I've built all my enclosures. Both in and outdoors. Absolutely love making them, if you have any questions I can try to assist you with answers. I'll attach a few pics of some different ones.
What do you keep in that big corner enclosure?

Connorology

Established Member
I did a hybrid foam background/photo backdrop (both DIY)

I have a couple videos I made about it, here is the first one:
If you don't want what is basically a complicated foam sculpture you could always do foam with silicone + orchid bark and cocofiber and then just let plants like Ficus pumila and Pothos cover the whole backdrop. Then you end up with a plant wall, basically.

Camiezone

Dining room area has my veiled cham, Groot.
Room w multiple enclosures has my sambava panther, Leif. Ambilobe male, Flip, female ambilobe, Ivy and female Jackson, Floki
The room has been modified to now being 4 semi-free ranging areas. [Meaning mesh on the back, 2 ft glass panels on the fronts from bottom to hold feeders inside, but then nothing above it. Its alot of work both to create, find plants and then the upkeep,, but I think it's all worth it,, financially and timewise.

Pickle-cham

Avid Member
I have a custom foamex background, can hardly see it now with all the plants growing in, if you doing the traditional route i would add drainage too the pots. the cons with this though lose space and potential to go funky in hard to reach areas16350028750058435013168813380458.jpg

Top Bottom