Any advice?

So here's the scoop, Molly has been a brownish green for a while. She's really only is this color when she is in her cage. So here's the info:

Current Problem - Molly isn't bright anymore.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, female, about 1 y.o, I have had her since september I think.
Handling - Daily, she is on medication.
Feeding - Crickets, around 3 a day or every other day if she will take them, lately she has been better. I gutload with carrots, fluker's orange cubes, and a gutload mix I got from JannB
Supplements - Rep-cal no phosphorous no vitamin D3 every feeding, only the head of the cricket is dusted since I hand (force) feed, and reptolife plus multivitamin and mineral supplement once a month.
Watering - I hand mist 3-4 times a day, I have seen her drink once and that was the other day.
Fecal Description - Dark brown fecal with white urate
History - Molly was from petsmart, they had pretty much given up on her and gave her to me. She is battling eye problems but is getting better. She is currently on reptaid once a day, vetropolycin opthalmic ointment, and Ciprofloxacin HCL every three days. She had recently started showing nice blues and yellows when I built her a new enclosure.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 32x32x32 screen homemade enclosure with a painted wood frame. I have plastic sheets covering 3 sides, leaving the front door and the top open, to keep in heat and humidity since it is very cold outside and my walls and windows are not very well insulated.
Lighting - around 12 hours a day, I have a regular 100w house bulb in a dome fixture for basking, a 60w basking bulb in a dome fixture for extra warmth on the other side since it is so large, and a reptiglo? linear tube about 18" that I got from JannB also so I am not sure if it is reptiglo or reptisun and the wattage but it is from an experienced chameleon keeper so I assume it is safe.
Temperature - Basking spot on the left is around 86 Fahrenheit, spot on the right is about 75 Fahrenheit, and ambient goes from 70-68. Overnight temps can drop to around 66 Fahrenheit.
Humidity - usually around 50%, can go up to 80% after a misting.
Plants - Hibiscus, Dracaena, umbrella tree, pothos, geranium, and a bunch of fake vines.
Placement - The enclosure is on the floor since it is too big to fit on anything. In my livingroom, which is basically my whole apartment. We are pretty layed back and there is not much hustle and bustle in there.
Location - New Hampshire, USA

Here are pics-
DSC00249.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00259.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

Molly's little friends:
Pierre eats the little flies that seem to like Molly's house
DSC00252.jpg

Kermit hangs out on the bottom.
DSC00255.jpg

...Why do you have a spider and frog in her enclosure?

The spider just appeared in there one day and I let him be because there were some little flies in there and he is managing them great and I don't have to use anything that could hurt Molly. As for kermit the firebellied toad, I just thought her house needed a roommate since it was so big so I bought him. He just hangs on the bottom in a little dish or under the plants.

poor lil frog. bet he wishes he had a sweet ten gallon to chill in. your cham dont mess with it?

poor lil frog. bet he wishes he had a sweet ten gallon to chill in. your cham dont mess with it?

No she stays up top, she probably wouldn't anyway though because she can't see very well and has a very mellow temperament. As for Kermit, he hangs out in his dish and under the plants. He seems happy. I just got him so he's still adjusting. Kermit hangs out in his dish and under the plants. I've only had him a few days so he's still adjusting.

How long have you had him in there? He may be the problem... Many chameleons get stressed with other living non-food items in the cage. Heck, some chams get stressed with food items in the cage!

Also do you have temp up because she is being medicated and is ill? If not then I suggest you bring it down so she doesn't start to make any eggs (which I'm sure would be hard on her with all the medicine and fighting off the eye problem.)

Pretty lucky that she wont mess with the frog.

Be careful with the spider as i cant really tell if its poisonous

I bought the frog because I knew she wouldn't mess with it, and I believe the spider is harmless to Molly, here is a picture if you want to take a closer look. I am researching it now.
DSC00268.jpg

If you have only had the frog for a few days that is most likely the issue. Molly cant speak to you so you cant know for sure the extent of her sight malfunction. She knows the frog is there and doesnt like it. take him out for a few days and she if she changes.

How long have you had him in there? He may be the problem... Many chameleons get stressed with other living non-food items in the cage. Heck, some chams get stressed with food items in the cage!

Also do you have temp up because she is being medicated and is ill? If not then I suggest you bring it down so she doesn't start to make any eggs (which I'm sure would be hard on her with all the medicine and fighting off the eye problem.)

The spider has been in there for a while, and the frog has only been in there for like 2 days. Also the vet wanted me to bring her temps up because she is sick. She said she highly doubts she will make eggs in her condition.

Just checking with the temp thing, I had a feeling it was because of her illness. I would remove the frog and spider and see what happens.

I will try taking him out, but I do not think he is the problem since she has been like this for at least a week and he has only been there for 2 days.

I will try taking him out, but I do not think he is the problem since she has been like this for at least a week and he has only been there for 2 days.

I have had many frogs, turtles, and lizards. That frog would rather have a bigger home to himself than with some giant chameleon's home in a small plastic dish. How fair is that? ;)
I was told the cage should be eye level to you. Why dont anyone mention that besides to me?

Regardless wether that "frog" is harming molly or not, he needs to go to a better home.

Fire Belly toads require a semi-aquatic setup WITH a filter, they are messy amphibians and require water changes as well as a constant in water filter.

1 fire belly needs ATLEAST a 10gallon long aqaurium and 5 gallons extra for any roomates.

Just so you know, this isn't information i pulled off google i own 3 and have had them all for 3 years. they are a communal species and i hope you get him a larger more approprieate habatit and maybe a friend for him/her. Who knows maybe you'll own him/her for the 14 years he/she should live :p.

Let's get on with it.....

Ok...the frog and spider should be gone by now. At least I hope so. Lets get back to Molly. What did the vet say about the eye situation? It is pretty alarming looking. That big flesh colored bubble shaped thing in front of the turret...what is that? I agree her temperature should be where it is while recovering. I'm thinking those new colors are gravid colors. Or the start of them. I think she may be making some eggs. She's old enough. I don't know why the vet would think the higher temperature would prevent eggs. I've not heard of that one. I think you need to prepare for that possibility. Otherwise, I'd like to know more about that eye. It's helpful to learn about things not seen before. And that's a condition I haven't seen yet. Thanks and I hope she continues to improve. How's her appetite?

Last edited:
I agree. First things first, try removing her friends. Next, put in a laying bin, even if you and your vet don't think she'll lay. It's best to have one in there anyway. If the cage isn't already placed somewhere high up (as long as the bottom of the cage is at your waist, it should be fine) place it there.

Is there anything else she could be upset about? Dog, cat?

Quick question, could she be getting ready for a shed?? My guys dull up around shed time?

Still I would ditch the frog and spider ;)

She hasn't shed in a while so maybe. Her eye has an infection that abscessed which is the big bubble. It was filled with yellow gunk. We drained it but it probably needs to be drained again. I removed the spider and frog, so that's all set. I have cats but they have never bothered her before. She has more privacy now than she ever has and she was nicely colored just a week ago. The vet said in her condition she doesn't think she would make eggs, not that the higher temps would prevent her from making them, that would be crazy lol. I never even though about shedding and that may be the case but still who knows. In case no one caught it in the beginning she turns green, blue, and yellow when she is out of her cage and was the same in her cage up until last week. She is still colorful when I take her out but now she turns her bla colors when she goes back in her cage.

She probably wants to go back to free range. Glad that you got the frog and spider out....not good. Not good to have standing water in her cage either. Hope that her eye will improve soon. When does she go back to the vet? Do you have a good chameleon vet?

Im not sure if this has anything to do with Mollies symptoms but Fire belly toads are toxic, they can secret toxins from glands on the top of their backs. They also toxify the water they live in, so if she's tried to drink from his dish without you see'ing, something bad could arise.

I'm glad you've seperated them though :)

Back
Top Bottom