any advice on how to convice

Show her they won't escape by keeping crickets and not having any escape. Or at least, escapees that she won't find out about. You can also tell her that they are in the beatle family and that they wouldn't can't thrive on their own?

first off

my girlfriend that the roaches wont end up infested the entire house if i buy some and start breeding them?

What kind of roaches? Dubias can't climb flat surfaces, fly, make noises, smell, and are pretty slow. they won't be able to live if it isn't worm enough so depending on where you live they chances could go up or down. The food bill will go down though for sure! They don't breed as quick as other roaches so that is a plus and minus. Tell her you will put some sticky traps around the cage to just incase (which I'm almost positive won't happen) catch any escapees I've had my roaches for a few weeks now and love them!

my girlfriend that the roaches wont end up infested the entire house if i buy some and start breeding them?

Tell her people typically keep there house too cool so even if one escaped it will die off. (Hopefully you don't keep your house 80 degrees or above :p)

Just tell her they are Dubia Bugs, the key word is Bugs. never mention roaches. Then put them in a solid color bin so she cant see them all the time and whalaa. Or just ask her do you really want me to choose you or my chameleon. LOL:D

Just tell her they are Dubia Bugs, the key word is Bugs. never mention roaches. Then put them in a solid color bin so she cant see them all the time and whalaa. Or just ask her do you really want me to choose you or my chameleon. LOL:D

That's a good point lol they really just look like bugs, but hey if it doesn't work out I'm sure you could find a nice girl on the forum! :) lol

LOL, Dubias don't even look like roaches for most of their life cycle. When the Males mature they get wings (that don't do anything) and look like roaches a bit more. Some of the other benefits are that they have live birth so you don't have to deal with eggs.

Just show her the bin when you've got the eggcrate all standing up on the side and the dubias already settled in to the bin. They hide themselves, so when you look in, you hardly see any of them at all as long as you've got plenty of eggcrate.

My hubby still looks over my shoulder sometimes and worries they'll get out into the house. Yesterday we found a male dubia in a chameleon cage that had gone uneaten and unseen for at least a month. I'm pretty sure they would survive just about anything. I left my colony with no heat at all in December (didn't heat the house either) for two weeks. They were all fine when I got back. BUT... they won't breed in those conditions.

I like the dubia bugs comment a lot. Thats some good thinking. and also all the other advice. I still think just the word roaches freaks her out. I will say dubia beetles or blatta lateralis or whatever roaches i invest into to.

thanks for the help everyone. And one last question.

are dubia or blatta lateralis easier to maintain?

Back
Top Bottom