Any advice on end of life care?

Our Panther Chameleon (Pepe) is now 9 years old and has been showing signs of old age for a couple of years. In the last 2 months he seems to sleep around the clock, we mostly find him on the tank floor, he's failing to eat (we've been hand feeding for most of the year but now we can't get anything in him, even water unless we open his mouth) and has a skin and bone appearance.
This week his skin has black tone patches on head, leg and tail.... Is it cruel to leave him in this way? Realistically how long could they survive in this condition as it would be heartbreaking to watch him suffer if it went on for another week or two.

Also we welcome any ideas on how to make him comfortable at this point, thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20190726_202920.jpg
    IMG_20190726_202920.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 212
If Pepe isn't already set up in one, I'd recommend setting him up in a hospital bin with low branches and a padded floor. That way he can't injure himself, and things are more accessible in his twilight years. You've clearly done well for him to make it this far - I can tell that he is loved!

He's a very old man, now, and it might be time to consider his quality of life. Whenever I have a elderly and/or sick pet, I consider the following quality of life scale. It was created for dogs/cats, but I find it applies to any living creature. I found it to be a great help to keep a record of good/bad days for a set duration as well, to help me stay objective.

Thank you GoodKarma19,

The hospital bin is a good idea, we have made some adjustments to his tank recently to soften the floor etc. but you are right to point out the height as his grip is still OK today but we can tell its deteriorating quickly.

The scale is really helpful too, it definitely suggests to me that the quality of life is all but perished. Hopefully it won't be for too long.

As you can see in my profile picture, that is Steve and I went through this with him in January. I love the quality of life scale. I personally feel like they let you know or in my case I told Steve if he was ready he did not have to hold on any longer for me ( I know I sound like a weirdo but I feel like they know). Anyway, he passed on his own, and on his own time. With all that being said if you feel he is in pain or suffering it would not be wrong to take him to the vet to ease his passing. So tough I am so sorry :(

Thanks it's good that you mentioned the age as it made me question my maths, and I am a bit out he is actually approaching 8.5 years (sorry I tried to edit the top post but not sure how).

But yes admittedly he has been a bit spoiled our one and only 'green dog'. He is very sociable which makes us feel fortunate I know many don't enjoy being interacted with. It will be a sad day when we lose him.

Thanks it's good that you mentioned the age as it made me question my maths, and I am a bit out he is actually approaching 8.5 years (sorry I tried to edit the top post but not sure how).

But yes admittedly he has been a bit spoiled our one and only 'green dog'. He is very sociable which makes us feel fortunate I know many don't enjoy being interacted with. It will be a sad day when we lose him.
Anything over 5years for a Furcifer Pardalis is good in my book.

Back
Top Bottom