Any advice appreciated ( veiled cham)

Billyt130

Hi , my little boy Kurt has been quite ill recently , it started when I noticed he haven’t done the toilet for a few days so I took him to the vet , he told me to give it another few days , during this time Kurt started to hold his front leg with his back leg while climbing and as a result of not releasing he would fall , I read on various forums this was signs of constipation so I took him back to the vet , the vet kept him for 3 days , he xrayed him and said he was blocked a little so flushed him out , some that twice , he said he was very slightly needing calcium and had some worms which he treated , Kurt is now home and is his usual happy self , I’m giving him metacam and his calcivet as instructed , but I’m noticing he’s still holding his left front with his left rear leg at time and although hen not getting stressed by this it is causing some scratches , can anyone advise on is this common and any advice on curing ? I’m trying to suss how to upload pics of setup etc .

Attachments

• C01CE9E8-2D56-4E2B-9FDC-E59A8D68DE82.jpeg
    C01CE9E8-2D56-4E2B-9FDC-E59A8D68DE82.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 5D3329B7-F95C-46D5-B919-88A0C6F352CC.jpeg
    5D3329B7-F95C-46D5-B919-88A0C6F352CC.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 162
Hi there if you fill this out it would give us more info to help.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi thank you . I shall reply
He is a 1 year old veiled Cham
I’ve had him for about 7 months
I only handle him when he chooses to climb onto my arm when I’m in tank cleaning up etc ( he comes out maybe twice a week , he’s a very calm boy )
Feeding - I feed him size 3 hoppers , meal worms , black crickets , the odd wax worm
I dip veg into the vitamins the put into the tubs next to the food , when I take food or I shake them in a bag of vitamins
(Vitamins - calci dust and nutrobal )
He tends to eat between 3 and 5 insects per day but when shedding he can go without eating
I mist tank 3-4 times per day and try to keep humidity at 40-50 , Kurt likes me to spray water into his mouth but I also see him drinking from leafs , he also has a water fall .
No previous health problems

Cage
Wood with glass doors and 4 vents
Build is a 10% uv , heat build not sure
I have lighting on approx 11 hrs per day , he has shade areas if he wants out heat
Basking temp - 30 , overnight temp 22
I use fake and real plants ( fig )
Cage sits on its unit in corner of room , not next to electric items or busy road etc
I am in Scotland so he doesn’t get outside

Kurt is eating and drinking fine today but my concern is will he become constipated again and why does he grab his front leg with his rear and fall ? , vet says he has a strong jaw and bones show very little problems with calcium deficiency , vet said overall he’s in very good condition , weight 225g , what am I doing wrong ? Will his condition improve ? .

That's not a sign of constipation that's a sign of MBD. Please post pictures of your Viv and lighting. When it comes to UVB lighting do you have a linear or compact bulb?

That's not a sign of constipation that's a sign of MBD. Please post pictures of your Viv and lighting. When it comes to UVB lighting do you have a linear or compact bulb?

Vet xrayed Kurt and said his bones are fine , he had some weakened around toes but very minimal , he said his jaw is strong and he has a very very good grip in back legs even though he’s doing as I described , he has given me a liquid calcium just to give a bit extra for toes , I have added picture of my setup so please feel free to advise , I have a linear exo terra repti glo 10% uv bulb , I have replaced it as a precaution , the vet I am using is the only exotic vet In my area , he was with vet for 3 days and had all treatment ( see pic of vet list ) , if he has MBD can you advise ? He is using his legs to climb , he has a very strong grip , he is catching his left front foot and falling , not being rude to anyone but I do all I can and love my wee pet and would appreciate constructive advise , I want my pet to be happy , healthy and will do all I can to achieve this .

I see no signs of MBD here. Is he hydrating okay? Can you specify what insects you're feeding? How often? A variety is important and adding some hornworms will help him stay hydrated. They are also rich in calcium, so that will help as well.

I would suggest you avoid the waterfall or clean it twice daily.

I see no signs of MBD here. Is he hydrating okay? Can you specify what insects you're feeding? How often? A variety is important and adding some hornworms will help him stay hydrated. They are also rich in calcium, so that will help as well.

He is very fussy eating , he mainly eats hoppers , he won’t eat mealworms anymore , recently he has started eating black crickets but until very recently his main diet was hoppers , he will feed himself but I tend to hand feed him , I don’t think I get hornworms in UK ? , the vet said at 225g he’s a big boy so he’s getting enough food , he drinks at least 4-5 times per day when I spray ( couple of seconds at a time ) plus when he gets water from leafs etc , what you think will he recover ?

He is very fussy eating , he mainly eats hoppers , he won’t eat mealworms anymore , recently he has started eating black crickets but until very recently his main diet was hoppers , he will feed himself but I tend to hand feed him , I don’t think I get hornworms in UK ? , the vet said at 225g he’s a big boy so he’s getting enough food , he drinks at least 4-5 times per day when I spray ( couple of seconds at a time ) plus when he gets water from leafs etc , what you think will he recover ?

Mealworms could be causing the problem. I am generally skeptical about how much mealworms contribute to impaction, but this could be part of the problem. Maybe avoid them. That's the consensus here at least.

I believe hornworms are considered an invasive species in the UK. I am not sure what's available in your market. Variety is important in their diet. If he refuses to eat or is holding out for something he likes better then just wait him out. He can go safely without food for a few days. They can be very stubborn. I think he'll recover and he's under the care of a veterinarian who doesn't seem to be too concerned with his overall health, so you're doing great.

Mealworms could be causing the problem. I am generally skeptical about how much mealworms contribute to impaction, but this could be part of the problem. Maybe avoid them. That's the consensus here at least.

I believe hornworms are considered an invasive species in the UK. I am not sure what's available in your market. Variety is important in their diet. If he refuses to eat or is holding out for something he likes better then just wait him out. He can go safely without food for a few days. They can be very stubborn. I think he'll recover and he's under the care of a veterinarian who doesn't seem to be too concerned with his overall health, so you're doing great.

Thank you I really appreciate your advice and reassurance

Reactions: iMi
No, they do not cause them to choke. Then become impacted and can not pass them through. So they are not able to poop. They are high in chitin which is essentially harder to digest.
Still seems painful for any cham to go through

When you say he mainly eats hoppers your referring to baby mice? I’m not sure if that’s healthy for a chameleon as a staple diet?
Did your vet say anything about possible impaction?
I’ve never fed any of my chameleons rodents so I’m unsure if they can pass it. I would imagine if he mainly eats rodents he could have a problem digesting it. I could be wrong though.

When you say he mainly eats hoppers your referring to baby mice? I’m not sure if that’s healthy for a chameleon as a staple diet?
I’ve never fed any of my chameleons rodents so I’m unsure if they can pass it. I would imagine if he mainly eats rodents he could have a problem digesting it. I could be wrong though.

I think they meant grasshoppers/ locust

It’s grasshoppers mate not mice

In the UK we're limited to locust, crickets, morios, BSFL (calci worms), roaches and wax worms when it comes to cham food. It's hard to find more than crickets and locust in most shops but they can be found in good reptile shops. You can get feeders online from https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_LnbsuOI4QIVqbztCh3eWgzTEAAYASAAEgJ6cfD_BwE if you can't find locally.

Back
Top Bottom