Any advice appreciated ( veiled cham)

Today Kurt has done the toilet and both look as should , he’s also had a drink when i have been misting his tank , I have gave him his liquid calcium as prescribed by the vet and he has at 5 size 3 hoppers dusted in calcium , he however has still grabbed his front left leg with his back left leg , he hasn’t fell as ive been able to release it the twice he done it , has anyone else had a cham that done this and if so how long to recover etc ? Vet seems puzzled by it .

How old is your UVB bulb? How often are you using the nutrobal supplement? Are you gutloading the feeders?

Grabbing his legs and not releasing right away is a symptom of MBD but it could be something else as well. Its good that he is starting to release his leg when he does grab it now.

How old is your UVB bulb? How often are you using the nutrobal supplement? Are you gutloading the feeders?

Grabbing his legs and not releasing right away is a symptom of MBD but it could be something else as well. Its good that he is starting to release his leg when he does grab it now.
The uvb bulb is only a week old , last one about 7 months old , I use the nutrobal calcium daily and the D3 once a month , I dip lettuce or carrot in the vitamins and leave it in the insects tubs then when I take them out I also dust them , I’m not so sure he’s releasing as fell again yesterday :(

Look at the nutrobal label. I believe it contains D3. You could be causing a slight D3 overdose if you are using a separate D3 supplement.

D3 should only be supplemented twice per month unless you are using a "all-in-one" supplement like Miner-all indoor formula or Repashy Calcium plus LoD in which case you would not supplement D3.

Look at the nutrobal label. I believe it contains D3. You could be causing a slight D3 overdose if you are using a separate D3 supplement.

D3 should only be supplemented twice per month unless you are using a "all-in-one" supplement like Miner-all indoor formula or Repashy Calcium plus LoD in which case you would not supplement D3.
I don’t think the calcium contains D3 , someone advised that I stop using that brand as it’s not recommended so I have ordered new ones as advised on below list , have you heard of chams holding there legs ? In your opinion can he heal ? .

Attachments

• BB7F90AA-0396-4517-BB4D-E81E96932BC2.jpeg
    BB7F90AA-0396-4517-BB4D-E81E96932BC2.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 130
Once the supplementation and nutrition balances out he should be fine.
I really hope so , I just came home and he was lying on the floor of his cage , holding his left front leg with his back left , unable to release I think , I’m giving him liquid calcium from vets but it seems to be doing nothing :(

I really hope so , I just came home and he was lying on the floor of his cage , holding his left front leg with his back left , unable to release I think , I’m giving him liquid calcium from vets but it seems to be doing nothing :(
I don't have an answer for you but have you re done the cage so he's only just above floor height? I'd put a soft towel down as well. If the poor guy is falling, we all know it's not good but better an inch or so onto a soft surface. Ideally a smaller, lower hospital cage would be good. Good luck!

I don't have an answer for you but have you re done the cage so he's only just above floor height? I'd put a soft towel down as well. If the poor guy is falling, we all know it's not good but better an inch or so onto a soft surface. Ideally a smaller, lower hospital cage would be good. Good luck!

Yeah I’m thinking I should do that mate , I’ve moved all his branches to lower points but not want him to far from heat/uvb , I’m giving him calcium and have got multi vitamin today so hopefully I can turn his condition around , waiting on vet calling also , he xrayed and took bloods but said MBD not a issue , I’m doubting his opinion and want him to look again as I believe the vet can give injections and get him on a course of meds , I just wish I knew if I’m doing anything wrong , I believe I’m doing fine with food , heat , uvb, his cage is spot on , I just don’t know :(

My best guess is the combination of poor gut load, over supplementation of CA and D3, and bacterial introduction via the waterfall has resulted in either a CA or D3 toxicity, or bacterial infection. The vet should be running bloodwork (if they haven’t already), and ditch the waterfall, they are biological time-bombs.

My best guess is the combination of poor gut load, over supplementation of CA and D3, and bacterial introduction via the waterfall has resulted in either a CA or D3 toxicity, or bacterial infection. The vet should be running bloodwork (if they haven’t already), and ditch the waterfall, they are biological time-bombs.
The waterfall is going tonight , the vet has ran xrays and bloods , I spoke to him a hour ago , he said On a scale of 1-10 Kurt would be a 1 for MBD and he can eliminate that as the problem , he says he’s goi g to try a course of anti biotics so I guess he’s thinking along the same lines as you , what changes ( apart from waterfall ) can I make ? .

The waterfall is going tonight , the vet has ran xrays and bloods , I spoke to him a hour ago , he said On a scale of 1-10 Kurt would be a 1 for MBD and he can eliminate that as the problem , he says he’s goi g to try a course of anti biotics so I guess he’s thinking along the same lines as you , what changes ( apart from waterfall ) can I make ? .
The waterfall is now out

Proper supplementation and supplement scheduling, Improved gutloading, and regular misting to keep hydration up are the best actions to take now.

You wont see results immediately since his vitamin and nutrient levels need to balance out.

You mentioned that you ordered new supplements. What brands and types did you order?

This article has a good list of gutload food items to use and which to avoid. I keep this bookmarked to use as a reference when I'm at the grocery store. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Proper supplementation and supplement scheduling, Improved gutloading, and regular misting to keep hydration up are the best actions to take now.

You wont see results immediately since his vitamin and nutrient levels need to balance out.

You mentioned that you ordered new supplements. What brands and types did you order?

This article has a good list of gutload food items to use and which to avoid. I keep this bookmarked to use as a reference when I'm at the grocery store. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/
I ordered repashy calci plus , also a zoo med with D3 and one without , I mist regular and I have bought a mini tank to put live foods in and work on the gut loading , I will take all advice onboard and really appreciate it , thank you guys

I ordered repashy calci plus , also a zoo med with D3 and one without , I mist regular and I have bought a mini tank to put live foods in and work on the gut loading , I will take all advice onboard and really appreciate it , thank you guys

Repashy calcium plus has D3 so you need to be careful. The LoD formula I know is safe for daily use. That one I'm not sure

Repashy calcium plus has D3 so you need to be careful. The LoD formula I know is safe for daily use. That one I'm not sure
Yeah it has D3 , how would you recommend there use ? Just dust before feeding to Kurt ? I at the moment put veg in the powder then leave in with insects

No need to dust the gutloads... Ideally the recommended supplement schedule is plain calcium at every feeding, D3 twice per month, and multivitamin twice per month.

Since Repashy calcium plus has calcium, D3 and vitamins you wont be needing any other supplements. I just dont know how you would dose it since this one I believe has more D3 in it compared to the LoD formula. I normally see the LoD formula being used for chameleons and not this one you mention.

@Brodybreaux25 do you know what would be recommended when using this particular Repashy supplement?

Back
Top Bottom