Ants in Terrarium?

Fenway

I moved into an apartment, and yesterday was moving my male Hoehnelii's planted terrarium into the apartment. I noticed some small ants. The place I lived before I shared with other people and it was a bit dirty and had some ants running around. I thought that a few must have just made its way into Igor's cage, but then I noticed what I believe to be a small tunnel with one or two ants hanging out in it. Now I'm afraid that there is possibly an ant colony. Are there any ways to get rid of the ants? Being in the apartment, removing all of the soil would be a hassle, but it could be done if I had to. Right now my plan is to wait and see if its only just a few ants or an actual colony. They are not fire ants, and they are pretty small. I don't think a few of them pose a threat to Igor, but an entire colony could. Also, the terrarium is an 18x18x25 inch glass, front-opening terrarium. I do not remember the brand.

I've had them before in my planted enclosures. I I used the terra liquid ant traps where I saw them traveling. They never bothered my chams, but the chams got annoyed if too many crawled near them.

I get some tiny ones in all my bioactives. Not that many but definitely more in the crestie setup, attracted more no doubt to crestie foods and jelly pots in there.

So I guess I'll really only be concerned if they form a colony and if it gets large. I'll put some liquid ant traps down outside of the cage, though so far I've only seen them inside. Also, my girlfriend isn't a huge fan of having ants in our apartment.

This will sound weird.., but I had hundreds (and I’m not exaggerating) of ants in my Bioactive cage... I put in a cucumber slice... evertime it was full of ants, I took it out and rinsed it off. I did that for a couple hours, until they where gone.

I did however start my Bioactive over a couple weeks later, just to be safe.

I still swear that cucumber slice worked.

I was trying to think of something to bait them with that I could put in something like a water bottle to remove them manually. I don't have any cucumber, but I do have sugar. I might give that a try when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom