Ants in my plants - please help

Katacara

Avid Member
Hello all I just noticed that I have a colony of ants living/moving into my enclosure!! I HATE ants!! I'm perfectly fine with almost all other creepy crawlies but ants I just cannot stand!! They are the little black sugar ants! Normally (before getting Peepers) I would have just sprayed them, now I do not use anything like that in my house, not only that but they are in the enclosure!!! What can I do/use to get rid of them/kill them that would be safe? Any help would be welcome, I'm already itchy just knowing they are there!!

I had this happen to me last summer, the only thing that worked 100% was to replace the umbrella plant. I read somewhere that these little ants create sub-colonies too. I try to keep the bottom of my cage debris free and remove any dead feeders. It seems like the more it rains, the more ants appear in my house.:mad:
Very frustrating..

It is very frustrating!!! Did you try the water mote idea? Looking at my current setup I think this may work best for me right now but I do not want to put the time and $ into it if it is not going to work.

I can't afford new plants right now so I will have to replace all the soil I guess aaaahhhhhh :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I know that if you put dry ice in a small container and let it fume CO2 that will kill the ants, and if you have live plants in your cage it will have little effect on them. This method works really well, the only concern is if it's safe for your chameleon. You could spray the dirt with a plant safe disinfectant, that's what I did when a centipede colonie started in my charms cage. Flooding them works well too. I hope something turns out for you!

Dry ice work well if it's enclosed, you definitely don't want the cham in there. It will kill everything and help the plants.

My boys are going to be at my mom's till next sat or sun so I have about a million of things on my project list, i will a going to war with ants to the list lol. I think I'm going to try the water method first because I can afford that right now... I guess that will teach me to splurge on feeders so close to pay day lol.

Back
Top Bottom