Ants in my Bioactive setup! HELP!!!

Trailgem

Avid Member
Will they kill my springtaled and isopods? Hurt my girl? Where the heck did they come from? I swear I washed everything down

Are we talking an ant or lots of ants?

I have ants getting in near my cages right now and I’m pulling out all the big guns to get rid of them! Not sure what theyre attracted to but dont play with ants!

Id stop adding food and let the CUC subside on poop and decaying matter. Arcadia’s custodian fuel is a dry pellet, thats what I use in my bins but nothing in the cages.

There is a gel ant bait available that really attracts the ants. Could maybe set one up outside of the cage and religiously clean up the ant line. I would be careful with this though as uou dont want anything making it back to the tank and hurting your CUC.

This is the first summer we have had ants. They arent in the cages yet but trying to get them annihilated before they do.

Hundreds? They will die off if you don't have a queen. However if you have hundreds, you might have a queen.

Ants suck.

Hopefully you don’t have a queen ant in that bunch. I use Vaseline around the base of my Dubia Roache bin to keep out ants.

One more question... will the ants kill my isopods and springtales?

Strong possibility they will. They are even known to kill PDFs when they get into PDF tanks.

Speaking of which, if you keep any larger frogs, maybe throw some of those in. Your Cham might eat em, so be sure they are not poisionous, (and that you don't have Fire Ants) and obviously you want animals that are not diseased, ect.

Or if you have another cage, you can use for the Cham for a bit. You can nuke the setup with CO2, it won't damage the plants too bad, (the leaves may dry out a bit where dry ice fog hits em, but it will be okay) that will kill your microfauna though.

I just purchased new subtrade. I guess I’ll start over, if i can’t get rid of those ants. Oh... and frogs it is... running to the store. I doubt that my girl is big enough to eat a frog yet.

Where the heck did they come from. I don’t have a single ant in the house.

I just purchased new subtrade. I guess I’ll start over, if i can’t get rid of those ants. Oh... and frogs it is... running to the store. I doubt that my girl is big enough to eat a frog yet.

Where the heck did they come from. I don’t have a single ant in the house.

I would be very careful with frogs from the store. I would use those, actually.

They could have parasites that would contimante the Viv and the Cham.

Only use frogs if you have, frogs that are healthy and don't have parasites.

Completely removing and destroying the soil is another option. Since you have more soil on the way do that. Any queen should be in there, and the few that might remain on the walls and stuff just remove when you see them. You can setup sugar bowls as a trap and take them out.

Id stop adding food and let the CUC subside on poop and decaying matter. Arcadia’s custodian fuel is a dry pellet, thats what I use in my bins but nothing in the cages.

There is a gel ant bait available that really attracts the ants. Could maybe set one up outside of the cage and religiously clean up the ant line. I would be careful with this though as uou dont want anything making it back to the tank and hurting your CUC.

This is the first summer we have had ants. They arent in the cages yet but trying to get them annihilated before they do.
I bought that ant stuff and stuck in the outside of the cage. If everything else fails and those bastards killed my ISO’s and springtales, I’ll start over and keep my fingers crossed no ant will follow

I would be very careful with frogs from the store. I would use those, actually.

They could have parasites that would contimante the Viv and the Cham.

Only use frogs if you have, frogs that are healthy and don't have parasites.

Completely removing and destroying the soil is another option. Since you have more soil on the way do that. Any queen should be in there, and the few that might remain on the walls and stuff just remove when you see them. You can setup sugar bowls as a trap and take them out.
Okay... that’s what I’ll do. Start over. Hey, it was fun anyway... so what the heck. Lol just hate to spend about her $50 on the isopods and springtales

Okay... that’s what I’ll do. Start over. Hey, it was fun anyway... so what the heck. Lol just hate to spend about her $50 on the isopods and springtales

Well the key to that, and I am guessing you didn't this time. When you get Isos you don't buy just to seed the tank. Buy to start cultures and seed the tank at the same time.

Get some shoebox sized Tupperware and make a master culutre of each. Then seed some of those into a tank, not all of them. That way you always have isopods and springtails, for other tanks and for instances like this.

If you keep your bugs with substrate (I think you should) the isopods and springs are useful there as well.

If you put terro on thd outside if they are still on the outside, that will do it....unless they bring it inside..the ants die bugs eat ants then possibly die....damn you are in a pickle, although I think terro is a borate substance

If you put terro on thd outside if they are still on the outside, that will do it....unless they bring it inside..the ants die bugs eat ants then possibly die....damn you are in a pickle, although I think terro is a borate substance

Ants that eat borate will kill the bugs that eat them, and the Cham that eats them. That's a terrible method. Never ever use pesticides near a Viv with animals.

if you want to stop them climbing up, use Vaseline.

Back
Top Bottom