Another prolapse.... And a horror vet experience...

So I went to school in the morning I checked on Apollo and his hemipenes were in his hemipenal bulges now I got back from school and found them outside. One of them seems to be falling off and they're both crusted in urates I soaked his hemipenes in some lukewarm water and eventually got them to soften up but the one is still trying to fall off please help me what do I do because I don't want to go back to that same vet and there's not a vet open until tomorrow along with that I'm not even sure that the vet that I had put the hemipenes back in correctly I will post pictures in just a second when I can take them but please help me because I don't know what to do

Okay so guys you guys are in for a whole ride because I took Apollo to the vet for a prolapse again. Apollo prolapsed at 9 last night it took me an hour to get out of the house and get to a vet because this time I was not able to get it back in with a sugar water solution and water-based lubricant so basically the vet comes in and is like soaking it for about half an hour and finally gets it's to go back in. We were put in a waiting room until Apollo's prolapse could go back in. And when they brought him out to us he seemed in distress. He had turned colors and he was trying to move very fast motions were very jerky and he wasn't himself. So I finally noticed that his tail had gotten stuck in the Box lid the technician and I open the box immediately. His tail was completely flattened out and now it is not able to curl properly pictures are included on the last few slides. Not to mention that I've never seen this vet before because she was an emergency vet she was not my primary care vet. After we noticed his tail was clamped in the Box the doctor took a look at his tail and said it was fine when we asked for it to be documented on our receipt she refused to saying that it was not the hospital's fault but she would put it on her medical records. She argued with us for around an hour we had been there until 1 a.m. and I got there at 10 p.m. finally we got a copy of our record and we got them to put on the receipt that he had been hurt under their care. They said that if it happened to become a problem they would treat him for free but I don't know whether I trust their care anymore so Apollo went to the vet for one injury and came back with two on the bright side he has Baytril and meloxicam now so that Will help with the prolapse and the pain. if you guys made it this far I congratulate you. Have a good night everybody

Seriously? Wtf!

Do you have K-Y Jelly or a similar water based lubricant on hand? You'll want to keep the prolapse well hydrated/moist, and bring him to a vet asap. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to that emergency vet - are there any other options in the area?

Do you have K-Y Jelly or a similar eater based lubricant on hand? You'll want to keep the prolapse well hydrated/moist, and bring him to a vet asap. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to that emergency vet - are there any other options in the area?
No others, I put the lubricant on there

If photos aren't clear enough for me to see enough.

So the prolapse the other day was intestinal and now his hemipenes are prolapsing?

It's hard to tell...but the tissue may be dying.

Maybe this is why there was no suture done the other day...they don't usually do them if it's a hemipene. For some reason I thought it was an intestinal prolapse.

Are his ankles swollen at all?

Do you have a link to the thread where it prolapsed the first time on here?

I haven't personally experienced prolapses, though I've seen plenty come into the clinic I worked at. I'd lube it up and tape a moist cotton ball/piece of gauze over the base of his tail to retain the moisture overnight. And then call his regular vet first thing in the morning/drive him there for a drop off.

his ankles aren't swollen
It's hard to tell...but the tissue may be dying.

Maybe this is why there was no suture done the other day...they don't usually do them if it's a hemipene. For some reason I thought it was an intestinal prolapse.

Are his ankles swollen at all?

Do you have a link to the thread where it prolapsed the first time on here?

It asked about the ankles because sometimes when they prolapse its to do with gout....still doesn't mean that there is no gout though. The urates crusted on them makes me wonder.
Do you hydrate him well?

It asked about the ankles because sometimes when they prolapse its to do with gout....still doesn't mean that there is no gout though. The urates crusted on them makes me wonder.
Do you hydrate him well?
Yes they were white and cream colored.

I am so sorry to hear about Apollo’s prolapse. Is he still over weight? I’ve heard that can cause prolapse. If you can find a good vet, t’s probable time for am amputation so he doesn’t have to keep going through this.

I am so sorry to hear about Apollo’s prolapse? Is he still over weight? I’ve heard that can cause prolapse. If you can find a good vet and it’s probable time for am amputation so he doesn’t have to keep going through this.
Yea im making the decision now to amputate it. I don't think it's Right too keep putting him through this. Well be at the Vet first thing in the morning

Back
Top Bottom