Another prolapse.... And a horror vet experience...

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
Okay so guys you guys are in for a whole ride because I took Apollo to the vet for a prolapse again. Apollo prolapsed at 9 last night it took me an hour to get out of the house and get to a vet because this time I was not able to get it back in with a sugar water solution and water-based lubricant so basically the vet comes in and is like soaking it for about half an hour and finally gets it's to go back in. We were put in a waiting room until Apollo's prolapse could go back in. And when they brought him out to us he seemed in distress. He had turned colors and he was trying to move very fast motions were very jerky and he wasn't himself. So I finally noticed that his tail had gotten stuck in the Box lid the technician and I open the box immediately. His tail was completely flattened out and now it is not able to curl properly pictures are included on the last few slides. Not to mention that I've never seen this vet before because she was an emergency vet she was not my primary care vet. After we noticed his tail was clamped in the Box the doctor took a look at his tail and said it was fine when we asked for it to be documented on our receipt she refused to saying that it was not the hospital's fault but she would put it on her medical records. She argued with us for around an hour we had been there until 1 a.m. and I got there at 10 p.m. finally we got a copy of our record and we got them to put on the receipt that he had been hurt under their care. They said that if it happened to become a problem they would treat him for free but I don't know whether I trust their care anymore so Apollo went to the vet for one injury and came back with two on the bright side he has Baytril and meloxicam now so that Will help with the prolapse and the pain. if you guys made it this far I congratulate you. Have a good night everybody

Okay so guys you guys are in for a whole ride because I took Apollo to the vet for a prolapse again. Apollo prolapsed at 9 last night it took me an hour to get out of the house and get to a vet because this time I was not able to get it back in with a sugar water solution and water-based lubricant so basically the vet comes in and is like soaking it for about half an hour and finally gets it's to go back in. We were put in a waiting room until Apollo's prolapse could go back in. And when they brought him out to us he seemed in distress. He had turned colors and he was trying to move very fast motions were very jerky and he wasn't himself. So I finally noticed that his tail had gotten stuck in the Box lid the technician and I open the box immediately. His tail was completely flattened out and now it is not able to curl properly pictures are included on the last few slides. Not to mention that I've never seen this vet before because she was an emergency vet she was not my primary care vet. After we noticed his tail was clamped in the Box the doctor took a look at his tail and said it was fine when we asked for it to be documented on our receipt she refused to saying that it was not the hospital's fault but she would put it on her medical records. She argued with us for around an hour we had been there until 1 a.m. and I got there at 10 p.m. finally we got a copy of our record and we got them to put on the receipt that he had been hurt under their care. They said that if it happened to become a problem they would treat him for free but I don't know whether I trust their care anymore so Apollo went to the vet for one injury and came back with two on the bright side he has Baytril and meloxicam now so that Will help with the prolapse and the pain. if you guys made it this far I congratulate you. Have a good night everybody
Awwwwwww honey I am soooo sorry y'all had this experience! I hope he gets to feeling better really soon! Not sure I would be willing to go back to that vet either! Hopefully your Vet can see him should he need it.

Awwwwwww honey I am soooo sorry y'all had this experience! I hope he gets to feeling better really soon! Not sure I would be willing to go back to that vet either! Hopefully your Vet can see him should he need it.
Yeah I'm not going back to them after the way they handled Apollo too, they tried to pick him up by the stomach while he was holding onto my shirt for dear life! Poor guy is eating at least

Holy cow, I'm so sorry to hear this! Let us know how poor Apollo makes out... what an awful experience. :(

That’s horrible I would be so angry if that happened to one of my guys tail, stupid tech :rolleyes: Good job on acting fast with Apollo I hope he gets better soon and all goes well ❤❤
Yeah, his tail curls like this now:(

I hope the tail will be ok in the end. Poor chameleon. Poor you too.
Did the vet do a purse string suture to hold the prolapse in so it would have time to heal? IMHO you need to feed it soft food for a bit and make sure you hydrate it well too...especially since its on Baytril.

It's a veiled...right? A little baby food such as sweet potato might be a good idea too because it's soft and moist..

I hope the tail will be ok in the end. Poor chameleon. Poor you too.
Did the vet do a purse string suture to hold the prolapse in so it would have time to heal? IMHO you need to feed it soft food for a bit and make sure you hydrate it well too...especially since its on Baytril.

It's a veiled...right? A little baby food such as sweet potato might be a good idea too because it's soft and moist..
Yeah I was feeding him some hornworms. If I blend up a mixture of fresh veggies will that be good?? No they didn't put and sutures in, they just said come back if it happens again tmr... I let him drink for around 5 mins yesterday before he stopped I figured that he couldn't like the meds that much but he takes them very well! Thanks for the tip about the baby food I'll try and buy some tonight. Any brand to recommend or is blending better??

New vet visit with new vet... The issue with a prolapse is, as you likely know, it is very likely to happen again if nothing is done to prevent it.

I hope (and believe) that the tail will not have permanent damage, but time will tell.
It will definitely happen again and so I've decided when I can I will make an appointment to place a stay suture in there and make sure it's held in place,

I don't have any particular brand of baby food I use.
I'm worried that he will prolapse again without the suture. Prolapsed are not easy to solve unfortunately.
Agreed, it's happened once before and it will probably happen again, a stay suture would be my best bet I think

One more thing...after the suture is in you have to watch to make sure he can poop. The suture has to be loose enough to allow hat but tight enough to keep the prolapse in. I don't envy the vet trying to get it like that.

One more thing...after the suture is in you have to watch to make sure he can poop. The suture has to be loose enough to allow hat but tight enough to keep the prolapse in. I don't envy the vet trying to get it like that.
I agree that they should have sutured it, I will definitely watch once he has it in

Back
Top Bottom