Another Furcifer willsii thread

Chameleophlaged

Avid Member
I stole this picture from my good friend @bobcochran it is a willsii female.
green willsii.jpg

I had a pair of these, they were OLD, very large and, well, wrinkly looking. The female died within weeks, but my point is she was green/yellowish like this one. The male i had for about year and a half, losing him about 3 months ago, he was my favorite lizard (they are all favorites, but since I only had one of his species he was special to me) .

I bring this up since I am NOT the friend Bob is gifting these...cough...cough

Yesterday at noon, I found 2.9 willsii (with 3.2 campani for good measure) they arrived at 9 AM this morning (been a busy bee since yesterday setting up cages).

I got 8 of these (one very very young female didn't survive)
20191231_121350[1].jpg

Seeing the first one, I thought they were a different locale campani (Jeweled Chameleon) since the gold coloring is so bright. I checked http://www.chameleondatabase.com/speciesgallery/ (Thank you @kinyonga) and found out that like most species in Madagascar, they are locale specific with 5 listed.

Both males look like this right now, they should show some more color when they settle in.
20191231_132601[1].jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
^bottom line..................happy me.

Robert, your female and male look older (more mature?) than those I posted and the male's rostral process is much larger. I'm wondering if this is a geographic trait or a function of age. Are all the females similarly colored? All the pictures of mature males I've seen have a rostral process like the picture you posted. What would you guess is your's total length? The white ventral crest is quite different also. I know these I'm sending off are mature because both females laid eggs 4/19.
IMG_1147.jpg

Picture of the male I have for reference.

Absolutely beautiful creatures. Congratulations and good luck. If you do get babies, I would definitely be interested in them. I’ve been increasingly fascinated with them since following @JoXie411 ’s journey, as well as hoehnelli.

I am reluctant to take the plunge on wild caught right now, as it would he difficult for me to properly quarantine and clean their cages in the dead of winter (no outside water). Not to mention I am not sure I am equipped for the heartbreak and reality of losing one while acclimating them.

Good luck and congrats! Are you keeping them indoors or outdoors?

There is no evidence published that campani have any type of color locale. I bred more than anyone in the US, and just like most species, once you breed a number of them you see they have a great variety of color and variation even within a single clutch. This is true of many many species.
babycampani.jpg
campani orange.jpg
campanibabies.jpg
campanisiblings.jpg
siblings2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin, we're talking about F. willsii.

Hi Bob-the original post says campani "Seeing the first one, I thought they were a different locale campani (Jeweled Chameleon) since the gold coloring is so bright. I checked http://www.chameleondatabase.com/speciesgallery/ (Thank you @kinyonga) and found out that like most species in Madagascar, they are locale specific with 5 listed. "

Did he mean to say wilsii? Is he saying that he thought the wilsii were a different "locale" of campani at first?

Either way, the same probably holds true.

Kevin

There is no evidence published that campani have any type of color locale. I bred more than anyone in the US, and just like most species, once you breed a number of them you see they have a great variety of color and variation even within a single clutch. This is true of many many species.

I did say I thought what I was pulling out of the box were a different locale campani, but I figured out right away (by number) that they were willsii, that is what I looked up 5 locales of willsii, sorry for the confusion.. Your campani look great I hope i have near the success you have had. congratulations.

Omg your female is so beautiful. My female died after a month she was always a muddy green. Your female looks very gravid. I hope you get eggs :love:
God, they’re freaking gorgeous!

Thank you, I ALWAYS assume all WC females are gravid, and am usually right, at least 4 of the 7 I have look very gravid.

Does the female have pox/pap or are the spots near her tail bruises or shed?
I didn't know what that was so I looked it up, doesn't look like she has a problem.

But back to the willsi. here's a picture of what the females look like today, still just as happy here.

willsii female 3rd day.jpg

I did say I thought what I was pulling out of the box were a different locale campani, but I figured out right away (by number) that they were willsii, that is what I looked up 5 locales of willsii, sorry for the confusion.. Your campani look great I hope i have near the success you have had. congratulations.

Thank you, I ALWAYS assume all WC females are gravid, and am usually right, at least 4 of the 7 I have look very gravid.

I didn't know what that was so I looked it up, doesn't look like she has a problem.

But back to the willsi. here's a picture of what the females look like today, still just as happy here.

View attachment 255314

Sorry, didnt mean to imply anything negative. She’s a beaut!

I talked to somebody with experience with this species, oh the guy who got them from me, then Robert and I talked. Turns out Robert's females are all showing gravid colors, and the animals I shipped out are showing receptive colors. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom