Anoles and Chameleons?

K_Wolf

Avid Member
So I have recently purchased a male, adult green anole from a rescue center. I was thinking about keeping him with my boy Majic- a male juvenile/adult veiled. The anole is much too big for him to eat, and I feel like it would not interest him since he's constantly provided with multiple other food sources. The two have similar native climates, so would it be ok to house them together? The anole is disease free and the enclosure is very large. When Majic is at his full size (his growth is stunted), I realize the anole will be small enough to consume but for the time being is it a safe bet?

I'm pretty interested to see how it goes. In a large enough enclosure they could be ok. In my opinion, since you know for sure the anole is parasite free, I would give it a shot. Worst case scenario, the anole gets eaten. As long as you're prepared for that, I'd say go ahead. But remember, if the anole does have any parasites (most will), your are putting your chameleon at risk for no reason.

In short yes they have the same requirements. And would both do well with the exact same care.

The chameleon will eventually try to eat the anole. Mine eat them all the time. The anole stands to lose way more than the chameleon in this scenario. Also veileds are aggressive. The time may come that he just wants to get the anole out of his territory before the time comes that he wants to eat him. Both times will come though.

Unless for feeding it is usually looked down upon to house species from different parts of the world. I know we still do this with plants and insects, mainly because we have to. But for larger animals that can easily pass pathogens and stress each other out, simply by being around, it is not ideal. I doubt your cage is large enough to house the two from an ethical standpoint.

In short yes they have the same requirements. And would both do well with the exact same care.

The chameleon will eventually try to eat the anole. Mine eat them all the time. The anole stands to lose way more than the chameleon in this scenario. Also veileds are aggressive. The time may come that he just wants to get the anole out of his territory before the time comes that he wants to eat him. Both times will come though.
Sounds a lot how I feel about my relatives over staying their welcome :confused: although I don't eat them usually :D

So I have recently purchased a male, adult green anole from a rescue center. I was thinking about keeping him with my boy Majic- a male juvenile/adult veiled. The anole is much too big for him to eat, and I feel like it would not interest him since he's constantly provided with multiple other food sources. The two have similar native climates, so would it be ok to house them together? The anole is disease free and the enclosure is very large. When Majic is at his full size (his growth is stunted), I realize the anole will be small enough to consume but for the time being is it a safe bet?
How big is the cage and for how long? The two MIGHT stress each other depending on the personalities involved. Some veileds are fairly chill and others are drama queens. Even if one is too large to be eaten, someone could still be bitten if they have a dispute or someone feels threatened. Watch them carefully and be sure each has cover to retreat to.

Main point of the answers so far...

Eh, could work. Anole might become dinner though. Actually, anole will more than likely become dinner.

The enclosure in that video needs work... But yes, that is going to be the most likely outcome for the poor anole.

I think it's a quick humane end for the anole to be eaten but I would really hate for one to get mauled and spit out and die slowly. I understand the circle of life and this seems unnecessary IMO.

I think it's a quick humane end for the anole to be eaten but I would really hate for one to get mauled and spit out and die slowly. I understand the circle of life and this seems unnecessary IMO.

I feel that way about the dubia and my beardies. The queens are very shiny/slippery, and it can take a few good maulings before they get a good grip.

How big is the cage and for how long? The two MIGHT stress each other depending on the personalities involved. Some veileds are fairly chill and others are drama queens. Even if one is too large to be eaten, someone could still be bitten if they have a dispute or someone feels threatened. Watch them carefully and be sure each has cover to retreat to.
The enclosure is a dragonstrand XL designed for an adult male Chameleon. I spent a good amount of time using the shelves to construct as design that caters to my boy’s every need. He’s constantly supplied with various sources of food- crickets, plants, usually some fruit, and sometimes worms of different sorts. He spends majority of his time sitting up at the top by his lights. Majic, from what I have seen, is fairly good natured and only hostile towards cameras specifically....he will do fine with others as long as I introduce him to them, otherwise he won’t cooperate.

Back
Top Bottom