Andrew Shedding - Could he look more miserable :(

JasonSinger

This is a pic of Andrew from last week's shed .... could he possibly look any more miserable? lol

Attachments

• 69376_1656714215185_1156982529_31792690_2954643_n.jpg
    69376_1656714215185_1156982529_31792690_2954643_n.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 75
Heh, he does look a little uncomfortable. My cham just got through a very fast shed, and he was going nuts trying to get all that shed off, especially around the eyes. Might give him a little spray, it usually speeds up the process and cheers mine up.:D

He does look a little upset by the whole ordeal! :p

Speaking of shedding, how often do chameleons typically shed? Are there things that would cause them to shed "abnormally" such as sooner than they should such as being under stress, for example?

When Rico arrived he was shipped overnight and inside the little cloth bag we found him white as a ghost because he had shed. My wife asked me if it was because he was stressed due to being shipped and I told her I wasn't sure. I know reptiles naturally shed as they grow and age but don't know if other things cause them to do it.

Needless to say Rico was perfectly fine and once he got out of the bag he spent the next couple hours working to get the shedded skin off. He's doing great and I wonder when we would expect him to shed again.

Hahahhaaa! hes lookin at the camera like, "why?!" hahaahahaa.

as for how often, I THINK they shed more as they are young then they slow down?? and eventualy will just shed parts of them at a time??

NOT POSITIVE THO, a lil educated reinforcement would help.

i say they slow down and eventualy shed patrs of their bodies cause my Obama is only shedding portions at a time now. (front legs were a few days ago, and now looks like it spred to the back legs) he takes shedding well tho, acts like nothings goin on

I don't know for sure, but would suspect that a major stressor occurring at just the right time might delay a shed rather than trigger it. It takes a while for the old shed to loosen off the new skin forming underneath, so a stressor might inhibit the normal process. But if the process was past a certain point it might not make any difference...when the time comes, they would shed regardless of being shipped. Yes, chams shed more often when young because of their faster growth rate. Also, when they are mature and have fully grown horns, spines, crests, casques that are less flexible, these areas tend to shed less easily.

Hahahhaaa! hes lookin at the camera like, "why?!" hahaahahaa.

as for how often, I THINK they shed more as they are young then they slow down?? and eventualy will just shed parts of them at a time??

NOT POSITIVE THO, a lil educated reinforcement would help.

i say they slow down and eventualy shed patrs of their bodies cause my Obama is only shedding portions at a time now. (front legs were a few days ago, and now looks like it spred to the back legs) he takes shedding well tho, acts like nothings goin on

Thanks, Obama! Good information to know. Do you ever use any shed aiding agents such as the sprays that are sold?

I don't know for sure, but would suspect that a major stressor occurring at just the right time might delay a shed rather than trigger it. It takes a while for the old shed to loosen off the new skin forming underneath, so a stressor might inhibit the normal process. But if the process was past a certain point it might not make any difference...when the time comes, they would shed regardless of being shipped. Yes, chams shed more often when young because of their faster growth rate. Also, when they are mature and have fully grown horns, spines, crests, casques that are less flexible, these areas tend to shed less easily.

Thanks, Carlton. Rico is only 3 months old so it sounds like we should expect him to shed pretty regularly as he grows. Do you ever or have you ever used any shed aid agents such as the spray that are sold on the market?

Back
Top Bottom