An update and a thanks.

Hey guys thank you to all the people who helped me yesterday. I went out today and got her just about everything she needs. She now has a 2x2x4foot mansion, complete with a lovely hibiscus plant. As soon as I put her in there the first thing she did was tear and eat a leaf. She absolutely loves it! I got her the tube uvb light and it lights up the whole place. I added in her egg bin which is made mostly of "reptile sand" and a little bit of dirt with no fertilizers or pesticides. Its wet enough to tunnel and I think will work fine.I got a hydrometer to measure humidity and I'm sitting right where I should be. Im now using the repashy calcium plus lod. Finally I got some carrots and apples and picked some dandelion leaves for the crickets. I wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys so once again thank you so much. If you see anything that could use improvement please let me know.

0901191915.jpg

I covered her sand with some fake foliage because she kept licking it. The fake foliage doesn't help. She just keeps giving it an occasional lick. Should I be concerned?

The danger with any substrate is that it could cause an impaction if they ingest too much of it either on purpose or by accident. I have for years used a sand produced by kings that seems to pass through them and has never caused an impaction in any of my reptiles.

Here's a link that shows what the bag looks like....
https://www.kpmindustries.com/KingHomeImprovementProducts/product/king-play-sand/

IMHO females who lick the sand are deficient in something.

I think you said you only have had her a few days so if she's lacking it's nothing you've done...but if you post the supplements and how often you use each and how you feed/gutload the insects and what UVB light it gets we can make sure you're doing things properly.

I was using just calcium without the d3 for her supplement and dusted at every feeding. Now I have the repashy calcium plus lod and will be starting her on it tomorrow. She ran out of crickets today so I got her some more and I'm gutloading them with carrots, apples, and flukers cricket quenched with calcium. Before I was just gutloading with the cricket quencher. Her uvb bulb now is a 5.0, 30 inch tube, 24 watt reptisun. Before I had two 5.0 coil bulbs. If there is anything I should add please let me know. I want the little lady to live a lush, comfortable, and long life.

I was using just calcium without the d3 for her supplement and dusted at every feeding. Now I have the repashy calcium plus lod and will be starting her on it tomorrow. She ran out of crickets today so I got her some more and I'm gutloading them with carrots, apples, and flukers cricket quenched with calcium. Before I was just gutloading with the cricket quencher. Her uvb bulb now is a 5.0, 30 inch tube, 24 watt reptisun. Before I had two 5.0 coil bulbs. If there is anything I should add please let me know. I want the little lady to live a lush, comfortable, and long life.
Great job on updating of your girl’s home. :) Sounds like you’ve taken care of the priority essentials. You’ll be wanting to add more vines/sticks...create more little ‘roads’ for her to travel. They like to have places to hide so adding more greenery will help. I love Pothos as do my girls. Nice sized leaves to catch water for them to drink from, hide behind and as they grow they provide more travel lanes. Veileds are plant nibblers and Pothos is safe for them to eat. One of the site sponsors, Dragon Strand, has a product called dragon ledges which enable you to add plants and such higher up the enclosure sides. 084A0763-5D88-4B85-A7BA-5383DFB30ACC.jpeg

You could add a few greens such as dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc and veggies such as squash, zucchini, sweet peppers, sweet potato, etc. Otherwise things sound good!

Back
Top Bottom