An Anole Rescue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.
Well today i was in my neighborhood and i saw something limping around on the ground and realized it was anole that couldn't use its legs.
I then saw he/she had a mark on its back. Looks like a bruise. My assumption is that it hurts is spine and that paralyzed his/her legs :(
I couldn't bare to see it suffer. So i said to myself, "Stefan you have an empty 10 gallon at home". and i knew i needed to take him home. I think he will have a better chance at survival with me then out about in the wild with no ability to move it's legs.
I dont think i will KEEP it. But if he doesn't get better then i will.
Here he is.

Attachments

• hhj.jpg
    hhj.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 234
  • k.jpg
    k.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 313
If he is paralyzed, he wont get better. If he has absolutely no control over his back legs and has lost sensation in them, I think it would be best to put it down.

EDIT: if it is a spinal injury it is probably in a lot of pain.

If he is paralyzed, he wont get better. If he has absolutely no control over his back legs and has lost sensation in them, I think it would be best to put it down.

EDIT: if it is a spinal injury it is probably in a lot of pain.

Oh alright. How would i put it down? Im not bringing it to a vet.

I would go with a freezer... Its probably the most humane way of going about it. it will lower the temp enough to "hibrinate him" (so to speak) and then he will eventually die. Thats the best way I know of with out going to a vet. And I have a feeling for something that small the vet would do the same. IMHO

I would go with a freezer... Its probably the most humane way of going about it. it will lower the temp enough to "hibrinate him" (so to speak) and then he will eventually die. Thats the best way I know of with out going to a vet. And I have a feeling for something that small the vet would do the same. IMHO
Freezing is not humane. They will literally freeze before they die.

Stefan you can either take him to a vet or put him back outside and let nature take its course like it would have.

Sorry. :(

?

I am not freezing the animal.
I am also not going to the vet just because its so small.

I was thinking..if i leave it to die off outside, what would be the difference of that or just keeping it until i see it dies or gets better?

The anole can still get around, eats, and drink water.

Im sure i can give it a better rest of its life if i have it in my care.
Outside it will have to take care of itself. And being injured..it needs help.

It may not be able to jump or climb...but it crawls around and does ok. Im sure its in pain. BUT if i keep it for a few more days and it dies...then i know i gave it a better couple last days of its life then if it was outside and died there. Lets not talk about getitng eaten by other animals.

No one said anything specifically regarding the animal being eaten by other animals, simply that nature should take it's course.

Any who, sure, keep it, hope it's not in pain and what not. Either way it's more food it may not have gotten otherwise.

Good luck..

No one said anything specifically regarding the animal being eaten by other animals, simply that nature should take it's course.

Any who, sure, keep it, hope it's not in pain and what not. Either way it's more food it may not have gotten otherwise.

Good luck..

I never said that anyone mentioned the animal being eaten by other animals.
I brought that up myself.

I KNOW its in pain and that wont change just because its back in the wild.

P.S.-I am just saying it now that this isn't my PET and i wont be taking it out of the cage and playing with it...for all of you that think i will. ( once again..im bringing this part up myself)

I never said that anyone mentioned the animal being eaten by other animals.
I brought that up myself.

I KNOW its in pain and that wont change just because its back in the wild.

P.S.-I am just saying it now that this isn't my PET and i wont be taking it out of the cage and playing with it...for all of you that think i will. ( once again..im bringing this part up myself)

good for you. I for one believe in giving the animal a good home for what time it is still here. good luck.

Freezing is not humane. They will literally freeze before they die.

Stefan you can either take him to a vet or put him back outside and let nature take its course like it would have.

Sorry. :(

Most seem to agree with freezing due to a reptiles ability to slow body temperature and slip off into death with little discomfort, Depending on the temp of the freezer it may develop ice crystals within the animals body and can cause what is believed to be severe pain tothe animal. You can also place the animal in the fridge first and allow it to slip off into a coma before placing it in the freezer. Everyone seems to be looking for a humane way to end the life of the anole and while allowing to anole to go back into the ecosystem is a natural way to die based on its inevitable injuries, it's not humane. By a medical stand point the only "Humane" way to euthanize a reptile is by administration of a barbiturate by IV. Letting it go off into the wild again will just result in it being eaten by another animal which of course is the natural way to go but once again not humane. IMO

Nicolas, if Stefan had left it alone we wouldn't have this thread to talk about. It's like saying if we see a sick/injured animal we have to take it in.
Our homes would fill up all too quickly. Sometimes a bleeding heart needs to be ignored, it's often for the best.

You're right, it's not humane, because there's no human interaction. Bad pun hur hur.

Some people suggest smashing the head, too.

Last edited:
Nicolas, if Stefan had left it alone we wouldn't have this thread to talk about. It's like saying if we see a sick/injured animal we have to take it in.
Our homes would fill up all too quickly. Sometimes a bleeding heart needs to be ignored, it's often for the best.

You're right, it's not humane, because there's no human interaction. Bad pun hur hur.

Some people suggest smashing the head, too.

all i'm gonna say is this

THE STARFISH POEM
Once upon a time there was a wise man
who used to go to the ocean to do his writing.
He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day he was walking along the shore.
As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer.

He smiled to himself to think of someone who would
dance to the day. So he began to walk faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man
and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore,
picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean.

As he got closer he called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?"
The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish in the ocean."

"The wise man then asked, "Why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"

"The sun is up and the tide is going out. And if I don't throw them in they'll die."

"But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach
and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a difference!"

The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish
and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said-
"It made a difference for that one."

A gruesome, but humane, way to put the animal down would be to quickly break its neck (making sure that the spinal chord is completely severed) or to crush it's head between two large bricks (or something similar.)

Please do not choose to freeze it. That would be a horrible way to die.

Neck breaking isn't always painless. Just FYI. I'm not at home and can't supply links but you can find it on google I'm sure.

Stefan if you care enough to take it in, then you ought care enough to have it treated or humanely destroyed. You take it from the wild, regardless the reason, you accept responsibility for it just the same as If you bought it.
A few more days of pain in your care (assuming it is in pain) is no more humane than letting nature take its course.
Why prolong its suffering, isnt its suffering the reason you took it in the first place?

A gruesome, but humane, way to put the animal down would be to quickly break its neck (making sure that the spinal chord is completely severed) or to crush it's head between two large bricks (or something similar.)

Please do not choose to freeze it. That would be a horrible way to die.

So would botching what your suggesting Kara/Syn , why make such suggestions for crying out loud?
Incidentally, Kara, your first suggestion would NOT be humane, its a reptile not a mammal. Not recommended!
Sometimes you really need to keep it to yourself. Better to have folk think you dont have a clue,
than open your mouth and confirm it. :)
In any case, the idea that the lizard has permanent paralysis is pure speculation, regardless how likely.
Paralysis can be caused by any number of minor injury's , even impaction, and is sometimes transient.
It may be that with correct care, it may make a recovery and be ok for release, ofcourse Stefan wont ever know for sure without seeing a reptile vet.

Last edited:
Correct, botching it would cause more harm than good but Stefan has proved in the past he is a good keeper so I did not think it was too much to mention. I had only mentioned it because they had said freezing.

Any who, a vet should be seen. Like JJ said, you took it in, you accepted responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom