Ambilobe Sirama

yeah i agree..but you have to admit true local or not, all the "ambilobe types"
look stunning...

i would say ambilobe simply because ive never even heard of they other locales untill i read this thread..lol..

correction,... I have heard the simara name tossed around but always thought it was a "designer" name / "new locale" to try to make profit..

I think we do get some, but many times they are mislabeled by the importer or someone throws a name on there that they think will sell. That is just my opinion. Here is one of my guys...looks Ampiskiana to me???

amiskianaey2.jpg

-chris

p.s. I originally thought Diego but I know a few people in the European cham scene and they said he was definite Ampiskiana. I purchases the female that came along with him, so hopefully in the next year.

Wow Chris! Do you have any clutches hatching from that lovely Ampiskiana?

Thanks, but not yet, I am working on getting the females healthy. Wild caughts can take some time to get healthy enough to lay eggs without endangering their lives. But I should have a clutch down before the end of the year. It will probably be middle or end of next year sometime before we will have some available.

-chris

Yea somewhat...you have to remember these locales are only separated by miles. Also I know that Connie Dorval, a very well known chameleon breeder with many years of experience, feels that Ambilobe is not a true locale, just an area where many locales come together. I can see where she is coming from after looking at many of the locales. I mean look how close Sirama, Ambilobe, Ambanja, Ambato, then the islands right off of it.

But anyways from what I have seen, read, and heard; Ampiskiana have more of a U bar with green barring. Also, I have one for you, is this Ambilobe or Sirama:
escapeear4.jpg

Now go to http://www.gatwickreptiles.co.uk/chameleon_3.htm

I don't know, I mean Ambilobe can almost look like anything, from a Nosy Be to an Ambanja all the way to Sambava. I have seen them confused with almost every locale except Tamatave.

-chris

Chris, a few questions if you dont mind. I have The Panther Chameleon color variation, natural history, conservation, and captive management book. It goes into a few of the locales color variations but only a few. Are there any good sites that go into any of the other locales in depth like the book.

Also I noticed on that site it has the blue bar ambilobe and a picasso that looks awfully like a redbar ambilobe. Isnt picasso the designer name for all ambilobes. I have seen it used for only what I think are the redbars. And yes that sirama looks a lot like the ambilobe.

Thanks for your time and any info.

Cains...well actually the designer name Picasso comes from Olaf Prank. This is not used for all Ambilobes but just the name he gave his Ambilobes where he collected his Ambilobe panthers from. Calumma andersonii might be able to help me a bit on this being the chameleon encyclopedia that he is. Basically there was an area where only he would collect Ambilobes and these were called Picassos. The name Picasso got to be popular so then many others claimed their Ambilobes, collected from Olaf or others as being Picassos. So now that anyone and everyone uses "Picasso" to describe their Ambilobes the designer name "Picasso" has lost its true meaning which was to separate his collection from others.

Sirama is a little bit different being that it is a true city very close to Ambilobe. Picasso is like Oorana Mena created by Vince at Screameleon. He made this name so that other importers would not ask for the specific locale "Nosy Faly." Same reasoning, he wanted to hide the origin so that he could be the only one with the Oorana Mena look. Prank wanted his Ambilobes to look better than others so he named them Picassos so that no one would know the true origin.

-chris

I think we do get some, but many times they are mislabeled by the importer or someone throws a name on there that they think will sell. That is just my opinion. Here is one of my guys...looks Ampiskiana to me???

amiskianaey2.jpg

-chris

p.s. I originally thought Diego but I know a few people in the European cham scene and they said he was definite Ampiskiana. I purchases the female that came along with him, so hopefully in the next year.

Mate that animal looks amazing and deffo would say ampiskiana..very nice

will take some pictures tomorrow of my new ones.
Siramas IMHO are ambilobes.but they are very nice you'll see my little sub adult tomorrow

Last edited:
heres a few shots of my sirama,very bold and clean lines,the camera does not do him justice but i can see blues,greens reds and yellows already.
Check him out!!

PICT0057.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

He looks good, you can tell he is going to have that yellow background and those bars are going to brighten up. I like your little fella!

-chris

Sirama - Ambilobe - Picasso - etc.

"Sirama" was the name originally coined by Bill Love, who showed Olaf where to find these marvelous chameleons in the region around Ambilobe, which Olaf then labeled "Picasso's", back in 2001. I offered the first "Ambilobes" labeled as "Ambilobes" in 2001, although we soon switched to calling them Ambilobe/Sirama in deference to Bill, who does not get caught up in the marketing anyway. Sirama didn't stick, although now it is getting a revival in the UK it seems. If someone wants to try to redefine that label now, it was an inexact science to begin with. Bill chose that name because a lot of the land was owned by the Sirama Sugar Company in Mada. With all the variation in and around Ambilobe, it is ripe for the naming of "mini-locales". You can charge more for something the more unique you can make it seem.

heres a few shots of my sirama,very bold and clean lines,the camera does not do him justice but i can see blues,greens reds and yellows already.
Check him out!!

PICT0057.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

Hi, what a nice looking chap. When did you collect yours. I collected a 10 week old male last thursday and he is doing well alhtough i'm a nervious wheck with constantly worrying about him lol Can we see more pics of the others chams you got from gatewick reptiles?

Phil

Nice information there jim,i regard them as ambilobe also.

The sirama revival is coming from europe,Saw lots at the last hamm show dubbed as sirama,i just think there throwing the name in the mix to get people interested in them as it sounds new and different

The sirama revival is coming from europe,Saw lots at the last hamm show dubbed as sirama,i just think there throwing the name in the mix to get people interested in them as it sounds new and different

Bill will get a kick out of it ! Thanks.

yo is that from gatwick reptiles dude ???????????????
if so buy the jofraville there are beautiful
bradders

I was tempted to go for the jofraville but instead went for the sirama. However, I'm hoping to go for a pair of either Nose Fally Red Rain or Nose mistio within the next few weeks?

amiskianaey2.jpg

-chris

wow that is one amazing panther!!!!

Back
Top Bottom