Ambilobe Panther not projecting tongue

Mine actually wouldn't shoot his tongue at all. I believe I have a video up on here. I actually gave vitamin with d3 for a week straight and went back to the regular schedule. Seemed to help a bit but now at this point. Hopefully it gets fully better.

The most common cause of tongue malfunction is a lack of calcium in the chameleon's system. Calcium deficiency affects both the bone strength and the muscles. To correct the issue you need to give the chameleon some extra calcium in the liquid form to get it back in balance. This is in addition to the regular supplements of phos. free calcium at every feeding, phos. free calcium/D3 twice a month lightly and a vitamin powder with a beta carotene source of vitamin A twice a month.

I did all that for the last month I've had him and still nothing. This is what I got. Guess he will never be a free hunter just a cup feeder. It is what it is.

Got it. I just talked to the guy I purchased my little pair from and he mentioned that he dusted the roach gut load and the bugs themselves only about 2/3 times a month. I'd imagine the calcium deficiency being the culprit. How do you folks recommend administering the liquid calcium? I'd be nervous to orally administer it via syringe with these teenie tiny guys.

I know PetSmart sells the liquid calcium. If I'm not mistaken Fluker's makes one. Is there a brand everyone prefers to use?

Poor Little Guy. Watched the videos, This may be out of left field, but what about a vision problem? I couldnt tell from the videos, but is he locking both eyes on the food before he tries to shoot his tounge? The last video it almost seems like his depth perception is off.. How far away does he spot the food?

I agree with other posts, all I have had at this age really rocket that tongue out and smash the crickets till the point where you hear it.

He sees them fine. When one is across the cage he bolts over and tries to catch it with his mouth. He shoots his tongue every time now but as you saw misses high. I try and leave the cricket further away when I hold them and he just manages to find a way to get close or just stares at it if he cans get close enough. Time to make a nice cricket cup for him. He has some really nice coloring coming through. Hopefully something fixes itself.

Also I ruled out any issues as I have spoken to a member that also purchased from the same vendor with no issues. Also the first one that I had also had this also spoke with the vendor had him swapped so they can monitor the issue get the new one home and here we go again same issue. This is why I though it could have been the terrarium I had him in originally. Maybe, maybe not.

I also bought a 3 mo old ambilobe with a tongue problem!!!!

I would love to know an update on your little guy. I found this thread because I am having the same exact problem with the 3 month old male blue bar ambilobe Panther chameleon that I purchased on 2-7-15. I made a video of him struggling to catch a cricket the day I bought him. He shot his tongue at it ten times unsuccessfully and eventually has to grab things with his mouth. I didn't realize at the time but he is very skinny. I emailed the company and they said not to worry it was normal as long as he eventually got the food. I have a grown veilled but have never had a panther. That didn't sound right but I went with it. Well I started to worry because he looked so skinny and if he was having to work that hard for one stinking cricket as a little baby he wasn't gonna make it. So I thought maybe his eyes were bad and he couldn't see the cricket. I work at an animal ophthalmology hospital so I had a ophthalmologist do a full exam and she said his eyes are in perfect shape. So after that day I have been toting his cage and lights and food back and forth to work every day hand feeding him. He is gaining weight now (2 grams) and I've seen his tongue come out more today then ever before. He still can not catch his own food. I am doing supplements with every bug. I am just so frustrated because this is obviously something going on with a breeder that is doing this cutting corners and hurting these chameleons and then selling them to unsuspecting people.

Last edited:
The tongue was damaged when in the breeders care. It happens if you house alot or even 2 chams together. There could be 20 crickets in the cage but once one catches a cricket and starts to chew, the other cham will try to steal it out of his mouth and biting his tongue. Not every cham shows this behavior so its important to look for if raising juvies. the tongue will never work properly again. It has nothing to do with nutrition. I would request an exchange

Figured as much. It s what it is. He has excellent colors and as long as you have a feeder box in the cage with him and put the cricket or dubias in there. He will be fine. He will eventually catch them when he's gets hungry enough.

I am purchasing a new Cham from canvas chameleons. Great people over there and will post updates about him. Hopefully no issues as my son loves to watch him eat. He's only two and he just loves sitting and watching sometimes. One of the thrills of having them and this little guy can't do it. It's a shame but have to keep them.

Eh ive had 2 chams with perm broke tongues that would only go out an inch or so. I just love them and pretend they are beardies. I hand feed them anything with legs, have a big screen for supers to crawl on, and have an easter egg hunt with the placement of silk worms. They all do just fine

Back
Top Bottom