ambilobe panther eye infection. need help.

growitbig

My roommate has ambilobe panther male with an eye issue we cant identify and dont know how to fix. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Im pretty new to chameleons myself, but i love them thus far. Pictures have been uploaded. Its the left eye, its white and keeps squinting closed.

Attachments

• 20150415_130753.jpg
    20150415_130753.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 20150415_130756.jpg
    20150415_130756.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 20150415_130749.jpg
    20150415_130749.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 20150415_130735.jpg
    20150415_130735.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 179
Please fill out the "How to ask for help" post so we can have a little bit more info on the chameleon.

Richard

My roommate has ambilobe panther male with an eye issue we cant identify and dont know how to fix. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Im pretty new to chameleons myself, but i love them thus far. Pictures have been uploaded. Its the left eye, its white and keeps squinting closed.

I am sorry I can't qualify to help. But I must say that's a wonderful Spiderman coloration you have there. Blue bar red body Ambilobe is always catches my attention.

I hope someone here can help and when he gets better please post more pictures.

The fix is taking him to a vet and most likely getting an eye ointment to treat it. You can try flushing the eye with plain saline(not visine). There is a possibility there is something stuck in the eye like shed. If there is any type of discharge coming out then it is infected. I would have him seen by a vet anyways and have him checked out. Vitamin A defeciencies can cause eye problems also. Do you give a multi vitamin? What do you gutload your feeders with??

My panther has been doing that for the last week. His eye started to shed yesterday so I put him in the shower for about halfan hour to help loosen the shed and now it is about 75% gone. Has began to open his eye all the way again. Must be irritating and itchy, he was rubbing his face on everything. And tried to bite my finger off getting him out of his cage.

I would take him to the vet. My panther started having a similar issue a week ago. I came home from work (in the early morning) and noticed he was keeping his right eye closed. I got him into the vet the same day. She flushed his eye out, and gave me cipro drops to put in his eye. He looks a lot better and keeps his eye open almost all of the time now. If it is an infection, the longer he goes without treatment, the worse it'll get. I would also try giving him longer misting times, or even an indirect shower, so he can wash his eye out. It's possible he has something in his eye.

the chameleon is about 6-8 months old, male chameleon. as far as i know, my roommate doesnt like to handle him too much. Once in a while or when he is cleaning the cage. he's feeding him crickets shaken in a vitamin powder, im not sure how often he mist. That may be the issue. as far as i know most the plants in his cage are fake with the exception of maybe a few of them.

I mist my chameleon at least 2-3 times a day, heavy in the afternoon, light in the morning and a few hours before lights off at night. not directly though. I pull the mist bottle back at least 8 to 9 inches. Shes a female and doing wonderful. Im home most of the day to take care of mine, I handle her maybe once every other day.

Like others have said I would take him to the vet. However my boy's eye did the same thing last week and scared me. I immediately put him in the shower. I put a plant in there for him to climb on and tried to keep the water from spraying directly on him but where ever I moved the spray head to he followed and kept climbing right in it. He started to open his eye shortly after this but by mid day he was back to closing it. That evening I repeated the process with the shower with plans to take him to the vet the next day. This all happened on Sunday. I came home from lunch Monday and his eye was open and has been ever since. I think he just had something in there but I have been keeping a really close eye on him because if it's closed again we are going to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom