ambilobe panther color maturity?

mike brandt

just wondering how long it takes a male ambilobe panther to reach its full color potential? i did a search and came up with nothing. im sure it varies from individual but an average will work thanks.

Im pretty sure its around 1 year of age. Mostly its that old with all Chameleons. But I'm not too sure.

Panther male chameleons typically start their coloration as young as 3 months, sometime a bit longer, and continue to reach their full color potential around 1.5 years of age on average. :)

thanks for the responses. my cham is about 6-8 months old and shows some red in the face and front legs. i hope he starts showing more red. seems like he is more colorful when he's scared or sleeping. he is usually green with red but he will turn blue and red and green at times. when their color matures do they stay brighter all the time or just when they are in the mood?

mike brandt said:
thanks for the responses. my cham is about 6-8 months old and shows some red in the face and front legs. i hope he starts showing more red. seems like he is more colorful when he's scared or sleeping. he is usually green with red but he will turn blue and red and green at times. when their color matures do they stay brighter all the time or just when they are in the mood?

Panther chameleons at rest and calm states do not show their bright or neon colorations. They will only show their bright colorations depending upon mood, emotion, stress, mating, and can show different coloration during health issues as well. Ambilobe are usually green with some barring (red or blue) at rest. Nosy Be are blue most all the time, rest or not. Mafana are olive green at rest and turn bright lime greens and yellow when stressed. Sambava & Diego Suarez's are usually olive green at rest and then show their bright colors when under other states of mind. Ankaramy are a greenish/gray at rest (most are) and turn bright pink with other states of mind. Ambanja usually keep some form of their coloration at rest, however brighten and show more extreme coloration during stress situations.

When you see a panther chameleon showing their brightest colors it means there is some emotional state going on with them. Since this is the case, I wouldn't recommend trying to keep your panther chameleon to show off his bright colors all the time, as this puts a great amount of stress on your panther. :)

i see, thank you for the info. thats exactly what i was looking for. i also checked out the prism chameleons site, i found it very infomative.

thanks much,
mike b

Thank you for the compliment on my site. I am still working on it and have a care sheet I am currently working on that will be added soon. I am very glad I was able to help and I hope you found the page Panther Differences that explains in more detail the different panther chameleon colorations and the locales in which they are located in Madagascar.

If I can help you further with any questions or issues about your panther chameleon, please let me know! I'd be happy to help :) .

Back
Top Bottom