Ambient temperature

Ezcham

Just joined so this my first post i have three chameleons one male Veiled about year old his setup is a custom size screen cage 20x20x48 bio active substrate 100w Infrared heat lamp 20in repti sun t5 5.0 uvb led with zoo med fogger misted with a mistking i also have two panther chameleons one male little over a year old his setup is a custom 30x20x48 screen cage bio active substrate 100w infrared heat lamp 30in repti sun t5 5.0 uvb led zoo med fogger and misted with mistking and my second panther chameleon is a female she is about a year old her setup is a 16x16x30 led zoo med repti breeze with 16 in t5 5.0 uvb 60w infrared heat lamp fogger and misted with mistking And all three of the inclosures are housed in a Sun Room with retractable blinds so my question of Concern is I house all 3 of my chameleons in a Sun Room with Retractable blinds to keep some of the heat out but it still reaches 88-93 degrees and when it reaches 86 my heat lamps automatically turn off and i have a ac vent that runs out too the sun room so i wanna know with all my setups is that to hot for there Ambient temperature

Last edited:
According to the Caresheets in the Resources section on this site:
Veiled Chameleons - General Care

Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C)

Panther Chameleons - General Care

Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 82F (28C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85-90F (29-32C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 80-85F (26-29C)

Similarly, those cages seem on the small side for adults of those species.
(See same caresheets)

You didn't specifically mention, but I hope all 3 are out of sight of each other.

Sounds like ambient temps would be too high. They’d have no where to cool off. If you can turn on the ac out there for at least the hottest part of the day it should help considerably.
Just to add, the infrared lights are not good for chameleon eyes. Get some regular old fashioned incandescent bulbs or halogen.

Thanks for the input and feedback the cages are huge if u ask me my female cage could be bigger but it is suitable for the time being till i build her forever setup and i forgot to mention my heat lamps are ceramic so they admit no light and also i house all of next to one another since they were babies and never had any stress problems they actually seem to enjoy each other.

Attachments

• 15913577398816793596042147886336.jpg
    15913577398816793596042147886336.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 170
Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum so we can check your husbandry @Ezcham .

It's recommended that the re be a visual barrier between the cage so that the chameleons can't see each other.

For basking...chameleons seek light not heat to warm up...ceramic heat emitters are meant to be used at night when the temperatures fall down below 60F.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and feedback the cages are huge if u ask me my female cage could be bigger but it is suitable for the time being till i build her forever setup and i forgot to mention my heat lamps are ceramic so they admit no light and also i house all of next to one another since they were babies and never had any stress problems they actually seem to enjoy each other.
Nice setup

Meh, as long as the night cools off and there is hydration i don't worry too much. My cham lives outside. Today was a sunny high 80s, tomorrow will be 90s and we have humid heat here too. He does just fine in it and he is a montane. He doesn't experience these temps all year, but for the summer months they range from 80-90s.

88-93 seems hot to me for an ambient temp...

But when you say infrared heat lamps are you meaning the red bulbs?

Okay sounds good thanks for your input jamest0o0

Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, which idt I am, their summers in ambilobe for example average in the high 80s. Which means many days probably reach the 90s as well. So you should be good. Just have water ready to go and get it to cool off at night which I'm sure it does.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, which idt I am, their summers in ambilobe for example average in the high 80s. Which means many days probably reach the 90s as well. So you should be good. Just have water ready to go and get it to cool off at night which I'm sure it does.
Yes they get misted plenty thru out the day plus they get fogged thru out the day as well the temp does drop at night

88-93 seems hot to me for an ambient temp...
It did to me too, so I looked it up in a few places...
https://weatherspark.com/y/104776/Average-Weather-in-Ambilobe-Madagascar-Year-Round
(Scroll down to temp chart)
https://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=151076&cityname=Ambilobe,+Diana,+Madagascar
Seems it gets into the 90s around Nov.

Some charts use avg. temps, which can be lower than those that break it down into avg. highs & avg. lows, but it gives a greater range than some of the care sheets.

Either these guys have little heaters & ac units hidden away in hollow trees, or they're a little tougher than we give them credit for―IDK.

Back
Top Bottom