Ambanja Questions. Pictures Included ;)

Rocky

Established Member
Hey today I was offered a male panther chameleon (he was originally dropped off at a pet store and then someone bought him and didnt realize he didnt have enough time for him so brought him back)

I posted a while back asking about him and everyone said he was definitely Ambanja. Well I am considering buying him from the pet store (they are probably the only pet store I would buy a reptile from because they actually know what they are doing :rolleyes: )

I just wanted to post a few pics to make sure everyone still thinks he is ambanja because if I get him I plan on getting him a girlfriend as well. My new house has the perfect cham room and I've bought materials to build a little rack for my veiled and maybe some friends.

Also, he has red bars, but they go blue. What does that mean?

I'm still considering buying him if he's not ambanja or full. I'm just wondering if I should get him a woman. He is the nicest chameleon I have handled those were his calm colors. He apparently loves being free ranged and runs to the door when you open it.

Pics of Floyd the Ambanja?
img0938zo2.jpg

img0935qt4.jpg

img0937zf6.jpg

Since you dont for sure know his heritage, I would suggest you could not sell his offspring as pure regardless of how he appears. You'd have to sell the babies as probably or mostly or likely ambanja. Its possible it is a pure ambanja, but you just dont know. Could be an ambilobe. or a hybrid.

Looks A LOT like hes part Ambilobe too, but im no expert, and hes freakin gorgeous so i would for sure buy him. Breeding might be a different story, but its up to YOU!
lol

Tc, and ty for the pics!
Dylan

looks mostly ambanja, with some ambilobe(possibly) mixed in to me. I would buy him anyway, people love mixes, they usually look great

Ambilobe?? I would say he has the ambanja/ankify colours, but you have no guarantee thats its pure, but It sure looks to be an ambanja.

Looks like one to me as well, and either way, he's very nice looking, good range of colors!

hmm just noticed in the first pic like something white on his front armpit area

He is classic Ambanja. He does not appear to have any Ambilobe in him (not sure where people got that from). Obviously unless he is WC or you know the bloodline info you can't be 100% certain but he appears as pure as you can get. He looks very healthy too.

Chris

thanks for the input. I am trying to fix up a new temporary cage just incase I decide to get him ;)

they only want 150 for him, but he has a nipped toe from when he was a baby. He uses it fine it just doesnt look good. He also has a dark spot that I have no idea what it is and I didnt get a good picture of him on that side. you can kinda see it on the pics on this thread
https://www.chameleonforums.com/what-locale-panther-17491/

Other than that he acts very strong and healthy he just has a few cosmetic problems form where you can tell he had a few problems from when he was a baby. I found out today that he was brought in from a WC shipment and was marked as ambanja. This is from the store owner who sold him originally and apparently he came in with a messed up toe and the dark spot.

Have to agree with Niels and Chris

Just my 2 cents. He looks well within what I would reckon are 100% Ambanja expectations. Since Locale expectations are primarily a product of marketing within the hobby, and are not that exact on the ground in Mada, I think there no more accurate rule than that "he is what he looks like". When it comes to "knowing the lineage", unless you imported and bred the animals yourself, "knowing the lineage" often means to rely on the word of another, or several others, and quickly falls apart as being more credible than how the animal looks, IMO. Honesty of Locale purity is not a bedrock of the marketing community.

Just for fun, you ask:
Also, he has red bars, but they go blue. What does that mean?

Ummmmmm ..... it means he has red bars towards the front, and blue towards the rear, :rolleyes: not an uncommon pattern btw. With Ambanjas, while much of the barring may drift to red as some specimens age, the aft areas and tail will often retain the blue the longest, if not always.

I would recommend breeding that animal to an Ambanja female, and feeling very confident about the offspring being labeled "Ambanja".

thanks jim :) I have limited to no experience with panthers and my veileds bars are all the same :p I didnt know if the different coloring meant he had some other locale in him or not

He looks like an Ambanja to be but at the same time has some Ambilobe characteristics. Awww common just give the little guy a home :D

At 150 I would grab that deal..
An associate I know owns the only pet store around and he has a couple adults that are really drab and I mean drab and they are 399.00 each. If that guy was there he wouldn't last..
And he looks Ambanja and I say that becasue it was my first local and favorite. Captain America who's owner ran a pet store in Gilroy, Ca. was the best..
Sorry I'm done ramblin..

Back
Top Bottom