Am I seeing the start of receptive colors šŸ«¢

@Sonny13 said ā€œBut, @kinyonga is for this part subject matter expertā€ā€¦not an expert at all, Iā€™m afraidā€¦thereā€™s still a lot to be learned about what happens when follicles donā€™t ovulate and eggs are not laid.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25393418/
In this site it saysā€¦
ā€In animals that failed to ovulate on their first cycle, follicles began to recede but were not fully reabsorbed and could be distinguished from a second batch of follicles based on their echogenicity.ā€ā€¦Iā€™ve only seen one case of follicles being reabsorbed and not causing reproductive problems in the futureā€¦(and it was in a veiled chameleon)ā€¦but I donā€™t think that is the norm by any meansā€¦and Iā€™d like to know what happened to the remains of the follicles that were not fully reabsorbed.

https://atrium.lib.uoguelph.ca/server/api/core/bitstreams/7e194832-85f4-4e76-9878-972f112c295f/contentā€¦
In this site it saysā€¦ā€ Resorption of postovulatory eggs in the oviduct has not been observed in squamate lizards and is likely incompatible with the functional attributes of the squamate oviductā€ā€¦
andā€¦ā€Resorption of postovulatory eggs in the oviduct has not been observed in squamate lizards and is incompatible with the functional attributes of the squamate oviductā€.

ā€In all cases in this study, failure to lay eggs originated from the failure to ovulate. Animals that did not lay eggs during the observation period all contained large numbers of yolked follicles on both ovaries, as well as atretic follicles.ā€

One more siteā€¦
https://www.zora.uzh.ch/id/eprint/233418/1/233418.pdf
ā€On average, previtellogenesis lasted 4.6 Ā± (SD) 1.2 weeks, vitellogenesis 7.7 Ā± 1.1 weeks, and gravidity 5.5 weeks.ā€œ

@MissSkittles saidā€¦ā€šŸ˜‚ @kinyonga can shed some light on what Nachito may be doingā€ā€¦after all my years of keeping chameleons, I have still not figured all of this out, sadly. There seems to be very little known about what happens when the follicles don't ovulate and seem to be reabsorbed. The vets are still studying follicular stasis and dystocia.

https://www.zora.uzh.ch/id/eprint/254132/1/Dervas_2024__chameleon_follicular_atresia_3_.pdf
ā€œohistology. While FA of previtellogenic follicles happened at a low rate, expected for a species with two germinal beds per ovary and polyautochronic reproductive pattern, atresia in the late vitellogenic stage affected entire generations of follicles, consequential to ovulatory failure.ā€œ
andā€¦ā€In many animals 2ā€“3 generations of atretic follicles were observed without indication of impairment to the development of the newest batch of follicles. Thus, follicular atresia need not necessarily lead to a pathological condition in veiled chameleons, at least not within a few consecutive cycles.ā€œ

I have to admit, Iā€™m concerned about the time that Nachito is taking to lay her eggsā€¦but I have seen a few cases where it turns out not to be a problem to take so long. An x-ray might helpā€¦but IMHO, usually it doesnā€™t seem to show well enough the information needed to predict the outcome. Keep a close eye on her and if she shows signs of decline in health, lethargy, etc, then get her to a vet asap. I donā€™t know what else to say. Wish I had a better answer. My fingers are crossed that you get through this with her. Youā€™ve done very well so far with her!
Thanks for all the information! I be keeping an eye on her. I might book a vet appointment for the upcoming weeks anyway just in case

Its been about two weeks since the vet visit, and still no sign of eggs. Everything is normal, appetite, poops, attitude. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Heres the xray again from the visit, everything was normal with the follicles.
1709151520574.png

I know I've probably asked this before but are these duller colors normal. All the brighter greens of females are throwing me off and making me wonder if Nachito is supposed to be this dull...
also she looks kind of chunky with eggs in these two photos below, but she hasn't really changed in size and shape over the last weeks.
IMG_3525.jpeg

IMG_3566.jpeg

Its been about two weeks since the vet visit, and still no sign of eggs. Everything is normal, appetite, poops, attitude. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Heres the xray again from the visit, everything was normal with the follicles.
View attachment 352278

I know I've probably asked this before but are these duller colors normal. All the brighter greens of females are throwing me off and making me wonder if Nachito is supposed to be this dull...
also she looks kind of chunky with eggs in these two photos below, but she hasn't really changed in size and shape over the last weeks.
View attachment 352279
View attachment 352280
The colors look darker to me in the second photo. Have you been weighing her weekly?

Idk what the darker colors indicate besides absorbing warmthā€¦my girl always looks like that unless she is outside or sleeping.

The colors look darker to me in the second photo. Have you been weighing her weekly?
Yes that too. Her weight has been relatively normal as well, fluctuation between 109-111 grams depending on if shes pooped or not recently.

Idk what the darker colors indicate besides absorbing warmthā€¦my girl always looks like that unless she is outside or sleeping.
ok awesome! im glad its considered normal :)

Yes that too. Her weight has been relatively normal as well, fluctuation between 109-111 grams depending on if shes pooped or not recently.

ok awesome! im glad its considered normal :)
Ok Iā€™m doing the same with my girl so I just wanted to check. Iā€™d just keep waiting to see how she does unless someone says otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom