Am I ready for a Jackson’s chameleon

Wildabro

I have a 18x18x36 screened cage with a 30inch fake tree and lots of sticks.for lighting I have a 40 watt ceramic heat emitter for the basking spotand a 5.0 reptisun ho uvb linear bulb for the uvb. For supplements I have a plain calcium powder and a multivitamin with d3.I have 2 temp gauges and one humidity gauge. I also have a reptirain but I’m still trying to figure out the right settings.

Hi go check out chameleon academy jacksons care sheets . Personally I would say no. You would be better off getting the minimum size required enclosure straight off or bigger live plants and sort everything out well in advance

Not to sound harsh, but definitely don’t jump into buying another one, especially after your last one just died (don’t try to replace her just to keep caring for a chameleon or without thinking through it), without the proper research or husbandry. Not sure if you have, just pointing it out

18x18x36 might be better for a smaller species. If you want a chameleon to fit your cage a hoehneli ot helmeted chameleon might be a better choice. The care is similar to jacksons but they are smaller and that would be a generous cage for them versus an over crowded one for a Jackson xanth.
When you have worked out the problems with your previous care then one might be an option.
EC263048-25D5-477C-B3E6-5DE6807987F1.JPEG

I have no experience with hoehnelii but from what I have heard, they like it even colder than jackson's chameleons. The care sheet from chameleon academy recommends the maximum nighttime temp to be between 50-62 degrees F. This could prove challenging during the summer months.

https://chameleonacademy.com/trioceros-hoehnelii/

Provided that you could hit these temps, then hoehnellii would be a good option for a smaller cage.

Ok I’m giving up on chameleons even though their my favorite animals what else can I house in a reptibreeze
No one told you to give up... But they die without the proper husbandry. And that is all components of care that need to be met from, lighting, housing, temps day and night, humidity levels, proper plants for the species, supplements, feeders, etc.

If you want a chameleon then do the work to get what you really want to have. Learn everything you need to provide. Pick a species based on what you can provide. I love Jackson's and helmeted chams but I can not get the night time temp drop they need. So I do not have those species. There are many I would love to have but I know what I can and can not provide. Right now I can easily provide the environment a Veiled or Panther needs. So I keep the species that I know I can care correctly for.

So you either put in the time and effort required to be able to provide an animal a long healthy life or you don't try again. But just jumping to another animal all together does not solve the fact that you do not have the knowledge of how to properly care for it either. Just because you have an empty screen cage does not mean you have to fill it up now.

Just because you want something does not mean you should jump in head first. This is how bad situations happen. Take the time do research discover what is right for you and what is right for the animal.

But if your response about giving up was because you don't want people telling you that they are hard or the hobby is hard or the stuff you have is incorrect then you should not be in this hobby IMO. These animals are the hardest animals I have ever had. I have 5k easily into my entire set up for my 3 boys. I spare no expense for what they need. I spend $80 a month on feeders and as you learned vet trips are expensive. This is not a cheap hobby and it requires critical thinking. The ability to understand these are complex animals that are not dogs or cats. They don't want you holding them all the time. It is like having a fish tank.

No one told you to give up... But they die without the proper husbandry. And that is all components of care that need to be met from, lighting, housing, temps day and night, humidity levels, proper plants for the species, supplements, feeders, etc.

If you want a chameleon then do the work to get what you really want to have. Learn everything you need to provide. Pick a species based on what you can provide. I love Jackson's and helmeted chams but I can not get the night time temp drop they need. So I do not have those species. There are many I would love to have but I know what I can and can not provide. Right now I can easily provide the environment a Veiled or Panther needs. So I keep the species that I know I can care correctly for.

So you either put in the time and effort required to be able to provide an animal a long healthy life or you don't try again. But just jumping to another animal all together does not solve the fact that you do not have the knowledge of how to properly care for it either. Just because you have an empty screen cage does not mean you have to fill it up now.

Just because you want something does not mean you should jump in head first. This is how bad situations happen. Take the time do research discover what is right for you and what is right for the animal.

But if your response about giving up was because you don't want people telling you that they are hard or the hobby is hard or the stuff you have is incorrect then you should not be in this hobby IMO. These animals are the hardest animals I have ever had. I have 5k easily into my entire set up for my 3 boys. I spare no expense for what they need. I spend $80 a month on feeders and as you learned vet trips are expensive. This is not a cheap hobby and it requires critical thinking. The ability to understand these are complex animals that are not dogs or cats. They don't want you holding them all the time. It is like having a fish tank.
Wow big saver 🤣, I had almost 7K for just my two!

LOL this is just the amount I have in now. I lost about $500 on the first set up not knowing enough bought the wrong stuff.. And lost quite a bit in another situation. So I am right there with you on money spent lol.
Yeah, I’ve read about your other situation and am extremely sorry about that ❤️

We all live and learn huh.. Thank you though. But yes my boys are money pits lol. And I love them even if they hate me so it does not matter lol
My old Ambilobe was like a labrador puppy! My old Nosy Be on the otherhand was... let’s just keep it at cranky old cat to be nice (as I don’t need him haunting me from wherever he ended up after passing!) 🤣

...I lost about $500 on the first set up not knowing enough bought the wrong stuff..

Same here and this was after coming here and doing some research, I still managed to spend close to a $100 just replacing what were wrong purchases on my part. For any potential new cham owner devising a list of items needed to purchased, add a "bad pruchase" budget for this ;)

Back
Top Bottom