Am I missing anything?

RobSquared

I have had my Jackson Chems for 2 weeks now. I have both the male and female in one cage right now but am drawing up plans to give them their own cages. I would like to share what I have in mind and see if I am missing anything.

Cage size: 20"deep x 22"wide x 5ft tall. I was planning for glass front and back.
Timed mist system for both cages.
Timed drip system for both cages.
UVB and Basking light for both.
Possible live plants but more than likely fake ones, with plenty of wood branches to climb on.
Humidity reader for both cages.
Temperature reader for basking area and one for bottom section in each cage. I will build a base that they will sit on that will have a catch can inside for the drip system.
Questions:
1. best screen material? Forums have all different kinds but I would like to hear from you personally.
2. Can I stain the wood that I am using for the frame and base and then clear it?
3. Since I'm running a glass front and back would running a wood top with holes cut out for the lamps be ok?

I am going to start my project this weekend and it will probably take me a few weeks to a month to finish so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

If you are good at that sort of thing, and enjoy it, by all means save some money and build your own cage.
How old are your chams? If still under 4 months, it's okay to have them together for a short time, but I would seperate them ASAP.
Chams stress very easy, esp very young ones, and having the stress of new surroundings is already enough stress, so having them together would just make it worse.

Personaly, I go the cheapest way possible and buy the Xlarge reptibreeze cages from Amazon.com.
I do have cages from LLL reptiles, and DIY, but I do not see that big a difference in the quality to justify the extra cost (IMO of course).

Are these baby chams?
Because you may want to start them out with much smaller cages so they dont have problems finding their food.

For coating the wood, I have used minwax brand wood sealer and matte finish. I also think the solvent based is better for repelling water the water based formula. Just make sure to use it outside, or in a very well vented area, because the fumes are enough to make you dizzy :eek:

You can buy bulk sheets or rolls of screen, any size mesh, from McMaster-Carr. Their website explains mesh size, so you can choose the one that you like best.

Back
Top Bottom