Am I good?

Briansant

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled chameleon, male, 3-4 months old, has been in my care for a month.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • I usually leave him alone and only handle him a few times.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Dubia roaches, crickets, about 12 mix of Dubia and crickets every day, I gut load with all types of greens, carrots, fruits.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • I use zoo med without d3 every feeding and once a week I switch between calcium with d3 or reptivite without d3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I mist 3 times a day and use a dripper.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Brown with very white urinate
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • He’s in a 16x16x24 reptibreeze right now but soon switching to a 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • I use zoomed daylight heating bulb for basking and a zoomed t5ho 5.0 uvb.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Floor around 70-75 and basking 82-85
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Humidity during the day 30-45, I maintain humidity by misting.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Pothos and a money tree
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Not near anything and is the highest thing in the room.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • PA

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled chameleon, male, 3-4 months old, has been in my care for a month.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • I usually leave him alone and only handle him a few times.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Dubia roaches, crickets, about 12 mix of Dubia and crickets every day, I gut load with all types of greens, carrots, fruits.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • I use zoo med without d3 every feeding and once a week I switch between calcium with d3 or reptivite without d3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • I mist 3 times a day and use a dripper.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Brown with very white urinate
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • He’s in a 16x16x24 reptibreeze right now but soon switching to a 2x2x4.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • I use zoomed daylight heating bulb for basking and a zoomed t5ho 5.0 uvb.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Floor around 70-75 and basking 82-85
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Humidity during the day 30-45, I maintain humidity by misting.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Pothos and a money tree
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Not near anything and is the highest thing in the room.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • PA
I think it looks good from my perspective, I am a new cham owner and to me it looks like you didn’t make any of the common mistakes that I have noticed may people make. I’m sure there are other things that a more experienced owner could give you advice about though.

The only thing that I noticed is that you will need to switch between calcium with D3 and a multivitamin every week. I’m not sure what Reptivite is, so I’m not sure if that what it is.

Maybe 30 is a bit low for humidity during the day, but I’d get other opinions because I’m not sure. Also, what is your nighttime humidity?

I think it looks good from my perspective, I am a new cham owner and to me it looks like you didn’t make any of the common mistakes that I have noticed may people make. I’m sure there are other things that a more experienced owner could give you advice about though.

The only thing that I noticed is that you will need to switch between calcium with D3 and a multivitamin every week. I’m not sure what Reptivite is, so I’m not sure if that what it is.

Maybe 30 is a bit low for humidity during the day, but I’d get other opinions because I’m not sure. Also, what is your nighttime humidity?
Yea I switch calcium with d3 and reptivite which is the multivitamin weekly. My humidity at night is between 60-80.

Looks like you’ve done your research! That’s awesome! So I’ll add a few suggestions but it looks like you’ve got most if not all of the basic husbandry down.

Personally, I would try and switch his diet up some. I add Black Soldier Fly Larve into my mix with dubia roaches, silkworms, wax worms (very occasionally), and hornworms. I absolutely love silkworms. I really don’t know why or anything but I love them and they’re so nutritional for your chameleon! I know they’re a little harder to get your hands on though. My little guy loves wax worms, and i mean loves them. He only gets a few twice a week as they’re high in fat and don’t really add much to their diet. Hornworms are great because they help with hydrating your chameleon. Gatsby, my chameleon, wasn’t very fond of them. He wouldn’t eat them out of my hand but would eat one or two from his bowl (he will eat any type of food except hornworms from my hand). The only thing about them is they are super fast growers. I got a thing of 25 from joshs frogs and they outgrew him about a week. He’s 5 months old now so...

Also, as someone else already mentioned, your daytime humidity might be a little too low. I don’t really know much about veiled chameleons as I have a panther myself, but the website has some great care sheets for them. Do you have an automatic mister or are you manually misting?

Lastly, as you mentioned, I would get him into his new and larger enclosure soon. It’ll give him new area to explore as he’s growing! I started my guy out in a 2x2x4 (which he’s still in) and he does great in it!

Also, I’m sure many people, including myself, would like to see your chameleon!

Hi. Your humidity is perfect for a veiled. So is all the rest of your husbandry. You could add a bit more to your gutloading. Can you post a pic of your cham and enclosure?
3051F061-CE1D-4208-8A6F-F03F91777BC6.jpeg

I used to get the same look from my beardie when he was younger...
"Are you gonna EAT me"

Now all I get is either, "What, you expect me to eat THAT?" or the stinkeye.

I am going to echo what @MissSkittles has already told you. Husbandry is on point. Gutload could be expanded. Veileds should have 30-50% max humidity level during the day so that is perfect. Supplements are perfect.

Only thing I would suggest is when you do the adult cage use real branches. You can get dragon ledges to mount them so it is more stable and easier. But with the fake vines you have the risk of him eating the moss stuff off and with the exo terra jungle vines there is a risk of him rubbing his eye on them and getting the black stuff from the vine stuck in the eye. Also with the dragon ledges this will allow you to do all live plants because you can mount pots to them and the branches suspending them in the air. :)

I am going to echo what @MissSkittles has already told you. Husbandry is on point. Gutload could be expanded. Veileds should have 30-50% max humidity level during the day so that is perfect. Supplements are perfect.

Only thing I would suggest is when you do the adult cage use real branches. You can get dragon ledges to mount them so it is more stable and easier. But with the fake vines you have the risk of him eating the moss stuff off and with the exo terra jungle vines there is a risk of him rubbing his eye on them and getting the black stuff from the vine stuck in the eye. Also with the dragon ledges this will allow you to do all live plants because you can mount pots to them and the branches suspending them in the air. :)
I was planning on getting the dragon ledges along with the new cage. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom