Am I going crazy?

davthevieled

Avid Member
I feel like I must be going crazy. I go on Reddit today and see someone being told that you don’t need to mist chams, that foggers are just for show, and that you can use sitting water and mirrors to get chams to drink. Oh and veiled/panther adults should be in a set up no larger than 12x12x18s. Can someone please tell me that I’m not going crazy to think that they are trying to kill chams over there?

Thats extremely small!! 😱 I have a baby crested gecko in a size that small, and its literally only being used for a few months until he gets bigger so I can monitor his growth without losing him in his enclosure and make sure he can find food. I cant imagine keeping my cham in that. ☹☹ I dont think I could even get him in there if I tried 🤣🤣

Nope...you’re not crazy. The same can’t be said for whomever is posting such BS though.
What killed me is that the same person stated that the only reason Bill Strand says 4x2x4 is to make money because he is the only one to offer that size and it’s like... do you really see many tank builders out there? Tamura Designs and Bill strand. Two of the biggest names you got and both offer it.

Thats extremely small!! 😱 I have a baby crested gecko in a size that small, and its literally only being used for a few months until he gets bigger so I can monitor his growth without losing him in his enclosure and make sure he can find food. I cant imagine keeping my cham in that. ☹☹ I dont think I could even get him in there if I tried 🤣🤣
When raising geckos I start suuuuper small like shoebox small, but the minute they hit their weight they get an upgrade. It’s the same with chams, small cage to larger cage progression as they get larger as it makes it easier on the animal to find food and drink. This is ridiculous though and personally I can’t support a group of people who are willingly wanting to put animals in a bad spot. Do I scoff at people who can only afford smaller at first but will get a larger tank/saving for one? No. Do I get pissed when it’s done because it is “easier” to maintain? Yes.

What killed me is that the same person stated that the only reason Bill Strand says 4x2x4 is to make money because he is the only one to offer that size and it’s like... do you really see many tank builders out there? Tamura Designs and Bill strand. Two of the biggest names you got and both offer it.

When raising geckos I start suuuuper small like shoebox small, but the minute they hit their weight they get an upgrade. It’s the same with chams, small cage to larger cage progression as they get larger as it makes it easier on the animal to find food and drink. This is ridiculous though and personally I can’t support a group of people who are willingly wanting to put animals in a bad spot. Do I scoff at people who can only afford smaller at first but will get a larger tank/saving for one? No. Do I get pissed when it’s done because it is “easier” to maintain? Yes.
I agree with you here! I never go into something if I dont have the money to properly care for them.

I also do the same for my fish. Smaller aquariums for smaller fish so they can grow with others their size and then upgrade!

I feel like I must be going crazy. I go on Reddit today and see someone being told that you don’t need to mist chams, that foggers are just for show, and that you can use sitting water and mirrors to get chams to drink. Oh and veiled/panther adults should be in a set up no larger than 12x12x18s. Can someone please tell me that I’m not going crazy to think that they are trying to kill chams over there?
Sounds more to me like a troll trying to start some 💩. Looks like it may have worked.

There is also Zen Habitats:
https://www.zenhabitats.com/
https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/4x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosures

and CustomCages and other custom cage builders will build just about any size you want.

Sounds more to me like a troll trying to start some 💩. Looks like it may have worked.

There is also Zen Habitats:
https://www.zenhabitats.com/
https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/4x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosures

and CustomCages and other custom cage builders will build just about any size you want.
Nah it’s one of the moderators there that is posting this shit. Literally had an argument where he told someone he DIAGNOSED the issue and I was like... that’s not an issue with the size of the tank. The issue is there aren’t many places to hide and they need to put more plants and such to help the Cham feel more secure.

I wouldn’t be upset if it was some troll. This is someone on their page that people think has credibility. This guy is the “founding” mod, yet he is sitting here trying to say you only mist neonates and in the sidebar it is about switching from misting to only using a glass of water.

Attachments

• E0EBC518-0FF9-4B90-97EF-C5B24D53A8BF.png
    E0EBC518-0FF9-4B90-97EF-C5B24D53A8BF.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 87
Nah it’s one of the moderators there that is posting this shit. Literally had an argument where he told someone he DIAGNOSED the issue and I was like... that’s not an issue with the size of the tank. The issue is there aren’t many places to hide and they need to put more plants and such to help the Cham feel more secure.

I wouldn’t be upset if it was some troll. This is someone on their page that people think has credibility. This guy is the “founding” mod, yet he is sitting here trying to say you only mist neonates and in the sidebar it is about switching from misting to only using a glass of water.
Hmmmm. The water issue is interesting, id be curious how many of their chams drink from bowls? Lol. Ive never seen it done.

Hmmmm. The water issue is interesting, id be curious how many of their chams drink from bowls? Lol. Ive never seen it done.
They have videos of it and you know, you do you I guess. If it isn’t directly hurting the animal and they are able to drink from it? Golden. What irks me is it’s his way or no way on everything and this is what new folks are going to see. “Give them a glass of water, don’t bother misting adults, foggers provide nothing, shove them in small cages so you can lift and move them around better”. This means if someone actually does the research and has a good footing, that he will toss them right on their head and contradict any bit of info out there.

They have videos of it and you know, you do you I guess. If it isn’t directly hurting the animal and they are able to drink from it? Golden. What irks me is it’s his way or no way on everything and this is what new folks are going to see. “Give them a glass of water, don’t bother misting adults, foggers provide nothing, shove them in small cages so you can lift and move them around better”. This means if someone actually does the research and has a good footing, that he will toss them right on their head and contradict any bit of info out there.
Yea for sure, I think even these forums people get too caught up in their way of doing things is the only way and the right way. Many people have different approaches to their care and i think it's neat, especially those that free range! I dont agree with the water thing tho given that chams are attracted to movement. This isnt the first time ive heard of reddit giving bad reptile advice tho, so it doesnt surprise me. 🤣

Yea for sure, I think even these forums people get too caught up in their way of doing things is the only way and the right way. Many people have different approaches to their care and i think it's neat, especially those that free range! I dont agree with the water thing tho given that chams are attracted to movement. This isnt the first time ive heard of reddit giving bad reptile advice tho, so it doesnt surprise me. 🤣
Exactly! It’s why it is so lovingly called the art of chameleon husbandry. Hell, you listen to Craig Durbin talk about parsons on Bill’s podcast and half of it is “I wing it”. Nature isn’t some sedentary thing. It changes constantly. Humidity? Temps? It just ebbs and flows... and it is our job to replicate that no matter how difficult it may be.

Exactly! It’s why it is so lovingly called the art of chameleon husbandry. Hell, you listen to Craig Durbin talk about parsons on Bill’s podcast and half of it is “I wing it”. Nature isn’t some sedentary thing. It changes constantly. Humidity? Temps? It just ebbs and flows... and it is our job to replicate that no matter how difficult it may be.
I have heard that episode! Bill often talks about "breaking the rules" to husbandry. Ive heard of reptile practices in the 90s from long time hobbyist... and wow! I will say the reptile hobby has come a long way!

Back
Top Bottom